[Girl Genius] Re: Jagerfemmes?

  • Karrion
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8 11:24 PM
      If you think of it in terms of the Hetrodynes of old it's not that
      improbable. They may have even done it intentionaly. What better way
      to control minor sparks in your territory than to turn them into
      loyal more inclined to build weapons and such than chalenge your
      power. Let's not forget the terror value. Imagine not only do a
      bunch of Jagers roll into you villiage to plunder and pillage but a
      couple start making clanks out of your farm machines. They'd also
      make good field medics for the boys.
      Sorry if gave away anything Kaja.

      Karrion

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Lewis" <notcarlos@h...>
      wrote:

      > Dunno about Jager-ing a spark -- seems like it would violate
      something
      > fundamental. But then, as any Terry Pratchett fan knows, in most
      universes,
      > the point of having a fundamental at all is so violation has a
      target (for
      > added pun-ishment, look up the word fundament).
      >
      > Even so -- wouldn't that put the spark under the will of the
      Heterodynes? I
      > can see it now: the two basic forces of 'spark' and 'fealty'
      coursing
      > through the subject's veins. It makes my head hurt.
      >
      > Still, I sense some Fan Fiction coming out of this. Not from me,
      mind
      > you...
      >
      > Jacob

    • industriosalve
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9 1:04 PM
        > Sorry if gave away anything Kaja.
        >

        > Karrion

        Hey all...
        If you ever "gave away" or got close to anything serious (or were
        a million miles away, for that matter) you generally won't see
        confirmation/denial of it, or a "...Well, ya got me", or "Ice
        cold!"....so don't worry about spoiling-by-accident. Kaja was
        being lighthearted. :)

        ~Savannah
      • Damien Sullivan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9 1:30 PM
          On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 06:44:37PM -0500, Jacob Lewis wrote:

          > Even so -- wouldn't that put the spark under the will of the Heterodynes? I
          > can see it now: the two basic forces of 'spark' and 'fealty' coursing
          > through the subject's veins. It makes my head hurt.

          But why wouldn't Heterodynes Jaegerize themselves? Possibly without the
          loyalty-to-other-Heterodynes component although I could see that going either
          way. We've got apparently immortal constructs, but apart from the line about
          Gil not believing Klaus would let himself die we haven't yet seen the logical
          immortal indestructible Sparks. (Unless Klaus's constructness is indeed
          self-operated. Go Klaus! I wanna be Klaus!) (Actually I kind of really do.
          AI researcher, I dreamed about raising my kids in a houseblimp years ago, I'm
          in theory sympathetic to the Stomp method of keeping the peace, I wanna live
          forever and learn everything...)

          -xx- Damien X-)
        • studiofoglio
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9 2:35 PM
            Ha! no, it's okay, it's obviously fun for everyone to speculate.
            In this case, the whole female jager, spark jager stuff hits a bit close to
            home as far as some later plotlines are concerned, and makes us go "eek!"
            when you make good guesses.
            I'll say no more about it except that this sort of thing is one of the good
            reasons that we have an extensive story "bible" and that our lawyer says
            we shouldn't read fanfic!

            Possible spoiler relating to the last possible spoiler
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            In answer to another post, the Heterodyne Boys didn't make any new
            Jagers, and the older Heterodynes wouldn't have made any females on
            purpose. Why not? Ummm.... well... how many female soldiers did
            Napoleon (intentionally) have in his army? Or Washington? Don't make the
            mistake of thinking that the Girl Genius world is any less sexist than our own
            world's past. Jagers were made out of soldiers. Not a lot of women in
            there, except in the cases that I already described. Making female Jagers
            would simply never have occurred to these guys, any more than making
            female soldiers would have.

            By the way, most people in the GG world think that female Sparks are pretty
            odd, too. They exist, but it's unusual. This is actually because most
            females either don't get the education they need to break through, or if
            they do, somebody lobotomizes, imprisions or kills them. Sort of like female
            scientists in the real world for a lot of our history.
            Of course some, like Trelawney Thorpe, Thundering Engine Woman or
            Agatha's mom, manage to make it to a Sparky adulthood where they are
            hard to kill or control, but it is much harder for a girl to survive. Some hide it
            well, and all are considered oddities by an essentially sexist world.

            Agatha gets to deal with this later, too.

            Now I have to go work on issue Ten!

            --Kaja
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            _
            End possible spoiler
          • Debbie Shinn
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9 4:02 PM
              Hey somebody had to build that clank gun!

              Debbie
              http://www.brigidsforge.com
              Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

              "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
              president, or that we are to stand by the president
              right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile,
              but is morally treasonable to the American public." -
              Teddy Roosevelt

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Adam Canning
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 10 8:19 AM
                On 9 Jul 2003 at 21:35, studiofoglio wrote:

                > Ha! no, it's okay, it's obviously fun for everyone to speculate.
                > In this case, the whole female jager, spark jager stuff hits a bit close to
                > home as far as some later plotlines are concerned, and makes us go "eek!"
                > when you make good guesses.
                > I'll say no more about it except that this sort of thing is one of the good
                > reasons that we have an extensive story "bible" and that our lawyer says
                > we shouldn't read fanfic!
                >
                > Possible spoiler relating to the last possible spoiler
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > _
                > In answer to another post, the Heterodyne Boys didn't make any new
                > Jagers, and the older Heterodynes wouldn't have made any females on
                > purpose. Why not? Ummm.... well... how many female soldiers did
                > Napoleon (intentionally) have in his army? Or Washington? Don't make the
                > mistake of thinking that the Girl Genius world is any less sexist than our own
                > world's past. Jagers were made out of soldiers. Not a lot of women in
                > there, except in the cases that I already described. Making female Jagers
                > would simply never have occurred to these guys, any more than making
                > female soldiers would have.

                Who said anything about jagerising them to use them as soldiers.

                Jagerise the camp followers to lower their casulty rates [From what
                we've seen so far Jagers tend to be a little over enthusiastically
                violent.] and reduce the amount they slow your armies manuevers.

                And of course if Jagerhood is inheritable then they become self
                replicating, which has production cost advantages. Not quiet as
                efficient as Werewolves but you get problems with enemy survivors
                with them.

                Of course the above are mostly cost benefit analyses and I'm not too
                sure sparks are good at those. :)

                --
                Adam
              • Debbie
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 10 10:16 AM
                  >Jagerise the camp followers to lower their casulty rates [From what
                  >we've seen so far Jagers tend to be a little over enthusiastically
                  >violent.] and reduce the amount they slow your armies manuevers.

                  I have been wondering what those boys do for recreation. I hang out with
                  *way* too many slashers and the images -- Some Things Man Was Not Meant To
                  Know.....

                  >And of course if Jagerhood is inheritable then they become self
                  >replicating, which has production cost advantages. Not quiet as
                  >efficient as Werewolves but you get problems with enemy survivors
                  >with them.

                  Yes, but it causes those pesky Conflict Of Interest problems.

                  >Of course the above are mostly cost benefit analyses and I'm not too
                  >sure sparks are good at those. :)
                  >
                  >--
                  >Adam

                  Oh they're good at them all right, but do you really want to know what
                  values they assign *you*?