Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Speculations from a New Advanced Student

  • Mark Space
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
      tourmaline_ca wrote:
      > Hurrah, multiple replies in one evening! It's such a warm fuzzy
      > welcoming feeling!
      >
      > Sorry about the lack of spoiler warnings, Mark. :( I'll try to be
      > better about that in the future. Um, what does TTFN stand for?

      Oh no, you are fine. I read the advance class too, so there was no
      spoilers in there for me.

      TTFN means "Ta-ta for now." Often just abbreviated to the letters when
      spoken: "Tee tee eff en!"
    • Mark Space
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
        rja_carnegie wrote:
        > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "tourmaline_ca"
        > <tourmaline_ca@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Yes, I have read the short stories; however, I wasn't aware
        >> that 'Electric Coffin' is canon. Thanks for setting me straight.
        >>

        > Wait, when did it become official...

        The web page with the short stories says "An authentic and true (we
        swear!) tale of Agatha's later adventures."
      • rja_carnegie
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

          > TTFN means "Ta-ta for now."

          And, um, "Ta-ta" means "Good-bye".

          I have no idea why.
        • rja_carnegie
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

            > rja_carnegie wrote:
            > >
            > > Wait, when did ['Electric Coffin'] become official...
            >
            > The web page with the short stories says "An authentic and true
            (we
            > swear!) tale of Agatha's later adventures."

            You /trust/ these people?? :-)

            The first collection is a little more equivocal, I think.
            In fact the introduction is written so that you would read
            between the lines and not believe one word of the entire
            book ;-) Apparently there are lots of different versions
            of the Agatha Heterodyne Saga but this one is accurate
            because we say so. (Although I suppose that would support a
            multiverse argument.) It isn't an "authorized biography"
            (although in real life SF has the trademark, of course...
            give or take anyone else in business partly or fully as
            "girl genius".) And 'Electric Coffin' is credited to
            something like "The Department of Temporal Uncertainty".
          • Snow White
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@> wrote:
              > > The web page with the short stories says "An authentic and true
              > > (we swear!) tale of Agatha's later adventures."
              >
              > You /trust/ these people?? :-)
              >
              > The first collection is a little more equivocal, I think.
              > In fact the introduction is written so that you would read
              > between the lines and not believe one word of the entire
              > book ;-) Apparently there are lots of different versions
              > of the Agatha Heterodyne Saga but this one is accurate
              > because we say so. (Although I suppose that would support a
              > multiverse argument.) It isn't an "authorized biography"
              > (although in real life SF has the trademark, of course...
              > give or take anyone else in business partly or fully as
              > "girl genius".) And 'Electric Coffin' is credited to
              > something like "The Department of Temporal Uncertainty".

              Yes, but the fact that Agatha Heterodyne's adventures actually
              lasted long enough to be considered adventures (and the fact that
              Prof. Phil became interested in the saga when he was present as she
              unleashed her battle circus on Baron Wulfenbach) tells us that,
              inevitably, she must survive to build a proper name for herself.
            • Mark Space
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
                rja_carnegie wrote:
                > You /trust/ these people?? :-)

                Well, by definition, if they say it's cannon, it's cannon. These are
                the authors we are talking about. ;)

                > The first collection is a little more equivocal, I think.
                > In fact the introduction is written so that you would read
                > between the lines and not believe one word of the entire
                > book ;-) Apparently there are lots of different versions
                > of the Agatha Heterodyne Saga but this one is accurate

                That's a little too in-story for me. I'm talking about what the authors
                themselves, not as they appear in the story. Trying too hard to confuse
                the two *will* create a dimensional instability and suck everybody into
                the place where black holes and old socks go.

                > "girl genius".) And 'Electric Coffin' is credited to
                > something like "The Department of Temporal Uncertainty".

                Really?! I had missed that before. Another reference here to multiple
                time lines! Hmmm....
              • Paul A.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space wrote:

                  > rja_carnegie wrote:

                  > > You /trust/ these people?? :-)

                  > Well, by definition, if they say it's cannon, it's cannon.
                  > These are the authors we are talking about. ;)

                  Right. It's not safe to disagree with them, even when they *don't*
                  have a cannon. ;)

                  > > And 'Electric Coffin' is credited to
                  > > something like "The Department of Temporal Uncertainty".

                  > Really?! I had missed that before. Another reference here to
                  > multiple time lines!

                  Or maybe "Temporal Uncertainty" is just edumacated language for "After
                  all this time, who can say for sure?"...

                  Paul
                  --
                  The Pink Pedanther
                • Pat OConnell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > TTFN means "Ta-ta for now."
                    >
                    > And, um, "Ta-ta" means "Good-bye".
                    >
                    > I have no idea why.

                    British, I think. The "Ta-ta for now" expression is found in the
                    original Winnie the Pooh books, where I saw it first either as a kid
                    or later while reading to my own kids. Somehow I think it also shows
                    up in the Disney books on Pooh and the rest of them.
                  • rja_carnegie
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Snow White" <fabletown_girl@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Yes, but the fact that Agatha Heterodyne's adventures actually
                      > lasted long enough to be considered adventures (and the fact that
                      > Prof. Phil became interested in the saga when he was present as
                      she
                      > unleashed her battle circus on Baron Wulfenbach) tells us that,
                      > inevitably, she must survive to build a proper name for herself.

                      Or, at least, to build a Battle Circus - if she hasn't
                      already done so, inadvertently. (Agatha draws scary
                      circus reconfiguration plan. Agatha discards plan.
                      Dingbots read plan. Clankity-clank. Right?)

                      I'm sure Agatha Heterodyne is famous. I'm sure she
                      had adventures. But can we be sure that these are
                      the authentic adventures?

                      Maybe it's a cultural misinterpretation thing. I read
                      it that the introduction in volume 1 was intended by
                      the real author to look like an Agatha-universe
                      introduction to a whole heap of unreliable witnessing.
                      The existence of far-fetched Heterodyne Boy and
                      Trelawney Thorpe novels and shows, and wild speculation
                      according to Secret Blueprints about various characters'
                      personal history, also suggest that we might not be
                      receiving unvarnished truth concerning Agatha, either.

                      And that just maybe, Professor Phil wasn't /quite/ there
                      in person for this Battle Circus thing, which is probably
                      when most of the world first heard of Agatha Heterodyne.
                      I wanna see evidence. First-person sketches...
                    • Snow White
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                        wrote:
                        > Maybe it's a cultural misinterpretation thing. I read
                        > it that the introduction in volume 1 was intended by
                        > the real author to look like an Agatha-universe
                        > introduction to a whole heap of unreliable witnessing.
                        > The existence of far-fetched Heterodyne Boy and
                        > Trelawney Thorpe novels and shows, and wild speculation
                        > according to Secret Blueprints about various characters'
                        > personal history, also suggest that we might not be
                        > receiving unvarnished truth concerning Agatha, either.

                        Very true. But remember -- we're STILL reading the unreliable
                        witness take on things, since it's still Prof. Foglio & Foglio's
                        accounts of events. Thus, even if the 'real' Agatha did meet her
                        doom at this time, the stories of her adventures will go on as far
                        as the public can imagine.

                        I doubt this arc will have a zippity-doo-dah ending, but at the very
                        least Agatha will regain full control of her body and the Other will
                        at least be vanquished long enough that she'll need to fight other
                        villains for a couple arcs.
                      • rja_carnegie
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > But remember -- we're STILL reading the unreliable
                          > witness take on things, since it's still Prof. Foglio & Foglio's
                          > accounts of events. Thus, even if the 'real' Agatha did meet her
                          > doom at this time, the stories of her adventures will go on as far
                          > as the public can imagine.

                          Well, I don't go that far. I think there has to be
                          a real world-shaking Agatha Heterodyne to make up
                          the stories about - even though some famous people
                          in our own world have been completely fictional.
                          She's gotta be at least up there with Othar Trygvassen.
                          Worth making up stories about. Not just some notable
                          Spark that got in between Baron Wulfenbach and The Other
                          and became a casualty.

                          Just, y'know, I think they were protesting too much about
                          this being the /accurate/ unlicensed biography of Agatha ;-)

                          ...and, come to think, for a university publication
                          it is really weird!!
                        • tourmaline_ca
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
                            wrote:

                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Snow White" <fabletown_girl@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Yes, but the fact that Agatha Heterodyne's adventures actually
                            > > lasted long enough to be considered adventures (and the fact
                            that
                            > > Prof. Phil became interested in the saga when he was present as
                            > she
                            > > unleashed her battle circus on Baron Wulfenbach) tells us that,
                            > > inevitably, she must survive to build a proper name for herself.
                            >
                            > Or, at least, to build a Battle Circus - if she hasn't
                            > already done so, inadvertently. (Agatha draws scary
                            > circus reconfiguration plan. Agatha discards plan.
                            > Dingbots read plan. Clankity-clank. Right?)

                            <snip>

                            > And that just maybe, Professor Phil wasn't /quite/ there
                            > in person for this Battle Circus thing, which is probably
                            > when most of the world first heard of Agatha Heterodyne.
                            > I wanna see evidence. First-person sketches...

                            Heh heh heh. I totally want to see the Battle Circus of Doom!
                            Especially after Krosp's commentary on the plans. "A merry-go-round
                            that can level a small town?!" And we all know that clowns are evil
                            to begin with, so clowns with death rays aren't that far a stretch...

                            Ooh. Or Jager clowns! "Hyu is wanting de pay chest, hey? Ve gots
                            orders about dot kind of ting." ::evil Jager grin:: "VE HUNT!!!"

                            Or Jager clowns with death rays... okay, I'll stop now.
                          • Philip Turner
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006

                              http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=200508089

                              > "Hyu is wanting de pay chest, hey? Ve gots
                              > orders about dot kind of ting." ::evil Jager grin:: "VE HUNT!!!"
                              >
                              > Or Jager clowns with death rays... okay, I'll stop now.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Mark Space
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006
                                Paul A. wrote:
                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space wrote:
                                >

                                >> rja_carnegie wrote:
                                >>

                                >>> You /trust/ these people?? :-)
                                >>>

                                >> Well, by definition, if they say it's cannon, it's cannon.
                                >> These are the authors we are talking about. ;)
                                >>

                                > Right. It's not safe to disagree with them, even when they *don't*
                                > have a cannon. ;

                                That's *Mr.* Cannon Hat to you, pal.

                                ;-) Check todays vote reward...