Help us Obi-Wan...

  • Mark Space
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
      Ah yes, now it's time to put the R2D2 'droid ...er, I mean dingbots, in
      the escape pod ... er, I mean out the window, where some intrepid young
      man with a light saber ...er, I mean electric foil, will come to help us!

      A completely original plotline!

      ;)
    • jsheikg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

        > Ah yes, now it's time to put the R2D2 'droid ...er, I mean dingbots, in
        > the escape pod ... er, I mean out the window, where some intrepid young
        > man with a light saber ...er, I mean electric foil, will come to
        help us!

        > A completely original plotline!

        What?
        You mean George Lucas invented getting remote attention and not some
        bearskinned maiden with a well thrown rock?
      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

          > Ah yes, now it's time to put the R2D2 'droid ...er, I mean dingbots,
          in
          > the escape pod ... er, I mean out the window, where some intrepid
          young
          > man with a light saber ...er, I mean electric foil, will come to help
          us!

          > A completely original plotline!
          >
          > ;)

          It's a classic.

          Debbie
          http://lionesshomeschool.blogspot.com/
          http://www.brigidsforge.com
          "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-
          oriented programming."
        • J D
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
            Is it just me, or does Agatha get a little bit hotter every comic?

            Every time, you think it couldn't possibly happen again, and every
            time, it does :D

            --- Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

            > Ah yes, now it's time to put the R2D2 'droid ...er, I mean dingbots,
            > in
            > the escape pod ... er, I mean out the window, where some intrepid
            > young
            > man with a light saber ...er, I mean electric foil, will come to help
            > us!
            >
            > A completely original plotline!
            >
            > ;)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • rja_carnegie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:

              > Ah yes, now it's time to put the R2D2 'droid ...er, I mean dingbots,
              in
              > the escape pod ... er, I mean out the window, where some intrepid
              young
              > man with a light saber ...er, I mean electric foil, will come to
              help us!

              > A completely original plotline!
              >
              > ;)

              By me, it looks more like "annoying little flying robot
              that buzzes around you while you are doing fencing practice,
              then it zaps your ass". Times four. Same movie. ;-)

              I wonder if one of them will find its way right to
              Castle Wulfenbach and a boy who likes to fence...
              of course it'd have to miss the Castle battle fleet
              which is steaming ahead (the Castle isn't so fast and
              possibly isn't even coming to Sturmhalten, in case
              the explosions are even larger than usual).
            • Ryan Dawson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                See, now, the last panel here tells us a lot.

                When Agatha is being all sexy, she's DEFINITELY being controlled by the
                Other and not faking it. This panel is Agatha trying to imitate that
                manipulative technique, but she's just not that good at it!

                Really, when has she ever had to use sex appeal to get her way before
                anyway? She doesn't have any practice.

                Likewise, this shows that Agatha isn't the Other faking being Agatha --
                the Other is clearly good at using its body to manipulate, and wouldn't
                be so bad at it.

                --
                And the Lord said unto them, "Thou shalt not exceed the speed of Light."
                And the people did leap and flap their arms, and did run about in
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dawson <ryan_dawson@...>

                  Here? http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20060605

                  > When Agatha is being all sexy, she's DEFINITELY being
                  > controlled by the Other and not faking it. This panel
                  > is Agatha trying to imitate that manipulative technique,
                  > but she's just not that good at it!
                  >
                  > Likewise, this shows that Agatha isn't the Other faking
                  > being Agatha -- the Other is clearly good at using its
                  > body to manipulate, and wouldn't be so bad at it.

                  I think you're both cynical /and/ naive, which is some
                  trick. A sweet, affectionate, innocent, apparently
                  simple and sincere smile from a knockout blonde like
                  Agatha is going to shoot right down Tarvek's spine into
                  those lavender trousers.* A smile does a whole lot for
                  me, too. And I don't think she doesn't know she can do
                  that. She's been /acting/, playing love interest (right?)
                  in the Heterodyne play cycle. She's used her sex appeal
                  on /hundreds/, in the audience. (Even though they didn't
                  dare to tell her the plot before they sent her on stage
                  in _The Socket Wench of Prague_.) And surely it's clear
                  that she didn't really forget what she's wearing. I think
                  that performance was /all/ to work on Tarvek.

                  The Other, by comparison, acts like a hooker.
                  (On the hanging-around-in-underwear front, deuce.)
                  Lucrezia is older, she's used to not looking so hot
                  any more (she had an oval head anyway, in the wrong
                  direction), and she has to work harder. So
                  Lucrezia is a slut. That's fun and all as well,
                  and in ways that don't come across in the comic
                  it probably makes a difference - in several SF
                  stories I've seen descriptions of women who benefit
                  from longevity treatment, who look young but have
                  a grace of movement that you don't expect from an
                  active young woman Agatha's age. So you'd see
                  that something was "wrong" with her.

                  But Agatha herself... looking artless is a big part
                  of the art.

                  * I was quite impressed by an anecdotal short story
                  where an Edwardian churchman and waiter in middle
                  years reminisced about first going courting, and how
                  fine he had thought, then, he looked in lavender
                  trousers - but as far as I recall, it wasn't that
                  that turned the lady's head, he found. He had a kind
                  heart and a quiet dry wit, and he married her.
                  So anyway, that's why I brought it up... Tarvek dresses
                  for taste and for show as well, more than necessary:
                  it's a luxury. Look at those impractical little
                  spectacles... whereas for several probable reasons,
                  Aaronev clearly isn't worried at all about presentation,
                  beyond the requirements of his station as prince.
                  He dresses princey but he doesn't bother to dress well.
                • Ryan Dawson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                    rja_carnegie wrote:
                    > I think you're both cynical /and/ naive, which is some
                    > trick. A sweet, affectionate, innocent, apparently
                    > simple and sincere smile from a knockout blonde like
                    > Agatha is going to shoot right down Tarvek's spine into
                    > those lavender trousers.* A smile does a whole lot for
                    > me, too. And I don't think she doesn't know she can do
                    > that. She's been /acting/, playing love interest (right?)
                    > in the Heterodyne play cycle.

                    In a *melodrama*, where you're not expected to be anything but exaggerated.

                    There's a worried edge to that smile -- that's the "ah-he-he-he, please
                    don't notice what I was doing" look -- and nobody outside Dudley Doright
                    says things like "I don't know WHAT I'd do WITHOUT you!"

                    I'm not saying it won't *work*. The fact that she's basically in her
                    underwear just means Tarvek probably won't NOTICE her bad acting. But
                    the POINT of this discussion is her behavior here is a far cry from the
                    Other, who (as you put it) acts like a slut. There has been discussion
                    over whether the recording featured Agatha or the Other; I think this
                    should prove that it was Agatha.

                    Anyway, her proficiency in the play is because she's very nearly playing
                    herself, and that doesn't necessarily translate to being good at playing
                    other roles.

                    > She's used her sex appeal on /hundreds/, in the audience.

                    Where did that came from? O.o Where did we see Agatha being sexy at
                    the audience? The one time they did a raunchy play, she came off the
                    stage gibbering at the double-entendres, and that's without her actually
                    DOING anything. Agatha has never (up to now?) used her body as a tool
                    to manipulate people.

                    > And surely it's clear that she didn't really forget what she's
                    > wearing. I think that performance was /all/ to work on Tarvek.

                    I don't think it was to "work on Tarvek" so much as to give her a chance
                    to send out the backup plan -- the dingbots. She needed him to leave
                    her alone for a few minutes without arousing his suspicions, because she
                    can't trust him.

                    > In several SF stories I've seen descriptions of women who
                    > benefit from longevity treatment, who look young but have
                    > a grace of movement that you don't expect from an
                    > active young woman Agatha's age.

                    I read Crashlander too. Heh. "It's in the eyes, and the way they move."

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > rja_carnegie wrote:
                      > > I think you're both cynical /and/ naive, which is some
                      > > trick. A sweet, affectionate, innocent, apparently
                      > > simple and sincere smile from a knockout blonde like
                      > > Agatha is going to shoot right down Tarvek's spine into
                      > > those lavender trousers.* A smile does a whole lot for
                      > > me, too. And I don't think she doesn't know she can do
                      > > that. She's been /acting/, playing love interest (right?)
                      > > in the Heterodyne play cycle.
                      >
                      > In a *melodrama*, where you're not expected to be anything but
                      exaggerated.

                      I don't think the plays are /that/ bad, pies or no pies ;-)
                      If you /can/ consider slipping in an "Oration on the Dignity
                      of Man" - if misappropriated by the comic mechanical -
                      the rest can't be so bad. Mind you, I could be spoiled
                      by Terry Pratchett's _Wyrd Sisters_, in which the travelling
                      players have the benefit of an /extremely/ literary writer.

                      ...BBC 7's Alec Guinness reading has just mentioned
                      Terry Pratchett's TV programme about orang-utans,
                      from 1996. The reading has been on before.

                      > There's a worried edge to that smile -- that's the "ah-he-he-he,
                      please
                      > don't notice what I was doing" look -- and nobody outside Dudley
                      Doright
                      > says things like "I don't know WHAT I'd do WITHOUT you!"
                      >
                      > I'm not saying it won't *work*. The fact that she's basically in
                      her
                      > underwear just means Tarvek probably won't NOTICE her bad acting.

                      I think it's here that we differ. It isn't great
                      dialogue, but I think she can make it convincing -
                      I could say that spotting good actors struggling
                      with bad lines is one of my hobbies. There have
                      been clunkers at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/
                      and occasionally in the new Doctor Who series.

                      And given that she's trapped in a castle with her
                      brain being taken over and surrounded by hostile
                      cult priestesses (and freezing her ass off), I think
                      she really /would/ be in trouble without Tarvek.
                      Melodrama? It's a melodramatic situation.

                      And the fundamental point - is she too young and too
                      innocent to flirt, and with a purpose? I don't think
                      so, and I don't think it should lessen her in our eyes.
                      If I had sex appeal (alas!) I'd use it.

                      She also takes on a similar look in
                      http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20060529
                      although she blushes, and for most of that scene with
                      Gil she is just really relaxed: you don't pull faces
                      like that if you're trying to make a good impression!
                      However, I didn't notice until now that for Tarvek in
                      today's last panel she has one hand behind her head,
                      which may be taking the act a little too far, just too
                      obvious - although, again, when I do that it doesn't
                      knock people around me flat with my sexual charisma.
                      It looks like my neck got sore. And I can't make it
                      work (I'm sitting here by myself doing this... luckily).
                      But, again, a /good/ actress could make the move
                      look natural, while also making sure that Tarvek gets
                      a good look which he thinks is by accident. You don't
                      look a gift horse in the mouth... wrong metaphor ;-)

                      "I think it's very nice" - heh!

                      Well, I wonder what Tarvek has got for her to wear - if
                      it's something tasteful, fancy, something of Anevka's?
                      But It looks now as though Anevka turns the schmaltz
                      up to eleven when she wants to. I think the last
                      person I saw dressed like that was Elton John...
                      wait, there was the Doctor Who episode set at
                      Versailles...

                      > But
                      > the POINT of this discussion is her behavior here is a far cry from
                      the
                      > Other, who (as you put it) acts like a slut. There has been
                      discussion
                      > over whether the recording featured Agatha or the Other; I think
                      this
                      > should prove that it was Agatha.
                      >
                      > Anyway, her proficiency in the play is because she's very nearly
                      playing
                      > herself, and that doesn't necessarily translate to being good at
                      playing
                      > other roles.
                      >
                      > > She's used her sex appeal on /hundreds/, in the audience.
                      >
                      > Where did that came from? O.o Where did we see Agatha being sexy
                      at
                      > the audience? The one time they did a raunchy play, she came off
                      the
                      > stage gibbering at the double-entendres, and that's without her
                      actually
                      > DOING anything. Agatha has never (up to now?) used her body as a
                      tool
                      > to manipulate people.

                      Well, the shop window certainly has the shutters opened on
                      http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20050530

                      "Without her actually DOING anything", as you say - except
                      for "kissing and stuff" as she says a few pages earlier.
                      _Socket Wench_, however, clearly shocked her, and at least
                      verbally must have gone much "further".

                      > > And surely it's clear that she didn't really forget what she's
                      > > wearing. I think that performance was /all/ to work on Tarvek.
                      >
                      > I don't think it was to "work on Tarvek" so much as to give her a
                      chance
                      > to send out the backup plan -- the dingbots. She needed him to
                      leave
                      > her alone for a few minutes without arousing his suspicions, because
                      she
                      > can't trust him.

                      Yes - but she didn't need to /act/ it so much for the
                      recording. If the Stick is the big invention and actually
                      /is/ a video player of some kind (thus the lighting and...
                      the fan service...), the Dingbot Air Arm are probably working
                      with sound recording only, and that should be fully
                      satisfactory. Or she could sit with her arms folded in her
                      lap and speak. Princess Leia herself didn't stick out her
                      bosom like that for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Agatha looks like
                      Tosca about to jump off the battlements... which could
                      be Plan C, I suppose.

                      Both Lucrezia and Agatha are deliberately using sex on
                      Tarvek, the lucky devil. (Mind you, putting some clothes
                      on at this point is probably prudent... the boy has a
                      memory, after all.)
                    • Ryan Dawson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                        rja_carnegie wrote:
                        > Both Lucrezia and Agatha are deliberately using sex on
                        > Tarvek, the lucky devil. (Mind you, putting some clothes
                        > on at this point is probably prudent... the boy has a
                        > memory, after all.)

                        We can disagree over how wily Agatha is; I mostly wanted to say that
                        she's acting very un-Otherly.

                        --
                        And the Lord said unto them, "Thou shalt not exceed the speed of Light."
                        And the people did leap and flap their arms, and did run about in
                        circles, and did race though the desert in chariots, yea, even until the
                        wheels did fall off. Yet none could move more swiftly than the Light,
                        and so did the people obey the Lord's command.
                      • god
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                          Ryan Dawson wrote:
                          > See, now, the last panel here tells us a lot.
                          >
                          > When Agatha is being all sexy, she's DEFINITELY being controlled by the
                          > Other and not faking it. This panel is Agatha trying to imitate that
                          > manipulative technique, but she's just not that good at it!
                          >
                          > Really, when has she ever had to use sex appeal to get her way before
                          > anyway? She doesn't have any practice.
                          >
                          > Likewise, this shows that Agatha isn't the Other faking being Agatha --
                          > the Other is clearly good at using its body to manipulate, and wouldn't
                          > be so bad at it.

                          oh, come on! she just got done playing "The Socket Wench of Prague"....
                          AND a tarted up version too! THAT was obviously GREAT!! acting, because
                          the whole cast is still ALIVE!!... So... in my opinion yes she can act
                          that way...

                          Besides... she's a great looking woman, wearing just her underwear no
                          less! What normal human male is gonna notice a itsy-bitsy little thing
                          like who was possessing her *mind* at a time like that?