Re: [Girl Genius] Punch's Ability to Speak (was Re: Jäger Maintenance)

  • Ryan Dawson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
      rja_carnegie wrote:
      > "It is better to be thought a fool than to open
      > one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      > -- Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, or Ralph Waldo Emerson
      >
      > (Or open to other nominations...)

      I'm pretty sure that's a Twain quote.
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dawson <ryan_dawson@...>
        wrote:

        > rja_carnegie wrote:
        > > "It is better to be thought a fool than to open
        > > one's mouth and remove all doubt."
        > > -- Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, or Ralph Waldo Emerson
        > >
        > > (Or open to other nominations...)
        >
        > I'm pretty sure that's a Twain quote.

        That's a widely held belief. But it seems it may be
        one of "those" quotations. Mark Twain is irresponsible
        for a whole lot of 'em. They just happen around him.
        He has quote dingbots, maybe.
      • quarkstomper
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
          wrote:

          > That's a widely held belief. But it seems it may be
          > one of "those" quotations. Mark Twain is irresponsible
          > for a whole lot of 'em.

          There was an old POGO cartoon where Pogo, Porkypine, Owl and Turtle
          are sitting under the shelter of a tree watching it rain.

          Porky says: "Ev'rybody talks 'bout the weather but nobody does
          anything about it."

          "Mark Twain said that," Turtle comments.

          Owl disagrees. "It was Sam Clemens."

          "Mister TWAIN!"

          "Mister CLEMENS!"

          The two of them begin fighting and shouting "TWAIN!" "CLEMENS!" As
          they wrestle, Pogo turns to Porkypine and asks, "Who really did say
          that?"

          Porky replies, "You were here. You heard me. I said it."
        • Dale Friesen
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            On May-31-06, at 6:34 PM, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:

            > I thought it was pretty clear that the idea for the oration on the
            > dignity of
            > man was a direct reaction to Maxim and Oggie's drama criticism.(vol
            > 5 page
            > 36) " but ... didn't he have a ... a lighter side?" "Ho yes. He
            > build very
            > amuzing toys for de orphan cheeldren" and Balthazar's daddy looked
            > pretty
            > thoroughly crushed.

            I thought it was clear, too. I just think that it's worth noting that
            the guy who plays Punch doesn't hesitate to have him speak when he's
            thinking about how to make him seem smarter. I dunno--maybe I'm
            reading too much into it.

            Dale
          • rja_carnegie
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Dale Friesen <dale@...> wrote:

              > On May-31-06, at 6:34 PM, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
              >
              > > I thought it was pretty clear that the idea for the oration on
              the
              > > dignity of
              > > man was a direct reaction to Maxim and Oggie's drama criticism.
              (vol
              > > 5 page
              > > 36) " but ... didn't he have a ... a lighter side?" "Ho yes.
              He
              > > build very
              > > amuzing toys for de orphan cheeldren" and Balthazar's daddy
              looked
              > > pretty
              > > thoroughly crushed.
              >
              > I thought it was clear, too. I just think that it's worth noting
              that
              > the guy who plays Punch doesn't hesitate to have him speak when
              he's
              > thinking about how to make him seem smarter. I dunno--maybe I'm
              > reading too much into it.

              I suppose he wants to build up his part in the shows -
              and maybe get away from the pies.

              I think he should get to talk to the audience when no
              one else is on stage.

              I also have an urge to see what Adam and Lilith may think
              of the show. If Agatha plays Lucrezia, feelings will be
              extremely mixed, I'd guess.