Re: Cover from Minicon XXIX Program book

  • agatha_heterodyne
    Message 1 of 774 , Jul 21, 2001
      Hi Kaja, thanks for the update!<br><br>Hopefully
      now that the word is out (I also saw the cover on
      your page) someone out there can tell you what
      happened to the art. Best of luck in getting it
      back.<br><br>And thank you, thank you thank you for the awesome
      banner! I know how busy you are, so it was extra nice of
      you to design one for the club.So far we've gotten
      about ten to twelve new members, and i believe we owe
      it to you. <br><br>Glad to hear the SanDiego Comicon
      is going well for Phil and Cheyenne and G.G.'s Works
      and comic, but sorry to hear you're missing out on
      the fun. Rest assured that issue four is much
      awaited. I personally can't wait to see it in
      color!<br><br>Thanks again, Kaja, and best of luck for the lettering
      and designing!<br><br>- Marquise
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.