Re: Forest for the Trees: Character Handedness

  • rja_carnegie
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "wusemajor" <Wuse_Major@...> wrote:

      > So in the big fight between Gil and Tarvek, will we get to hear Gil
      > say "I know something you don't know. I am not right handed."?

      I have an inkling he might not actually tell people
      when he fights. On the other hand, you'd notice
      anyway.

      Gil's fighting clanks are perhaps (1) ambidextrous
      and (2) not particularly good at fighting. Well, this
      is a thing in Star Wars spinoffs; even starfighter
      pilots, for instance, with no more Force than any guy
      off the street are way better than droid or robot
      drone pilots. Apparently original thought scores over
      microsecond reaction time. They practice in simulators
      against computer pilots, but they notice if a living pilot
      sits in on the program.

      Realistically, though, the clanks and the droids
      should be winning!
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy" <kmodonnell@...> wrote:

        > > Does it seem to anybody else that Agatha is ambidextrous?
        >
        > I wouldn't be surprised. My daughter has sensory integration
        > disorder, and it has led me on a fascinating journey into brain
        > development and how it manifests physically.

        (Google "sensory integration disorder")
        You must find Little Agatha's demonstration of
        "tuning out" sensory interference frustratingly
        attractive... Obviously, you'll prefer
        effective "treatment" over ones made up
        in comicbooks ;-)

        Having said that - there are a few people in
        the comics who are "into" compensatory sensory
        deprivation, so to speak. The short-lived
        Crossgen's Simon Archard (Asperger's Syndrome
        genius detective - Sherlock Holmes-ish, with
        fantastic elements) sleeps in a flotation tank,
        I think, as does the movie Daredevil - to me
        it seems like a really bad idea, although I
        guess dolphins and guys like them manage okay.
        And there's a kid in Aaron Williams' _P.S. 238_
        who sees connectedness and patterns and they
        have to keep him in a featureless white room
        for his own comfort, although he came out for
        a fairly weird "Show & Tell". Mostly "Tell".

        Back in GG, both the Spark when it kicks in,
        and being possessed by Lucrezia Mongfish,
        could have radical effects on brain development,
        I should think...
      • Nick Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
          On 1/04/2006, at 11:16 PM, Sea Change wrote:

          > Nick and Aquillion, concerned abou the nature of the
          > annotations, said:
          >
          > [snip]
          > (Aquillion)
          >>> I think people shouldn't make annotations for pure speculation,
          >>> or to
          >>> say "we don't know this yet" or somesuch thing. The problem is,
          >>> more
          >>> pages are going to come along and get annotated, and when they do
          >>> those annotations will be obsolete (and often misleading), with no
          >>> way to remove or edit them. There are already a few minor
          >>> annotations in the Advanced pages that are obsolete in this fashion.
          >
          > Sea Change responds to this:
          >
          > So what if they are speculative? Unless the speculation itself is
          > of an offensive nature, it
          > will merely cause the readers to think about the comic in ways that
          > they hadn't. This
          > revision might perhaps give them cause to enjoy reading the comic
          > over again, now with a
          > different perceptual filter. Not many comics can bear up to this
          > kind of thing, but GG can.
          >
          > So what if they are obsolete? Anybody coming after us who reads
          > these notes won't know
          > they are obsolete unless you spoil it for them.
          >
          > So what if they are misleading? We are not an English class. To
          > me, it's much more
          > important if 1) They are Mad. and 2) They are fun to read, and
          > hopefully both.
          <snip>

          Fair enough. I definitely intended the moderation system to be used
          as decided on a comic-by-comic basis. At a basic level, it need only
          be used to remove mistakes, offensive comments, spam, etc. Creators
          and the community can decide what level of editorial is justified for
          their comic.

          I'm generally inclined to broadly agree with you. Unless a strip gets
          cluttered to the extent that it's difficult to make out anything
          useful in the face of the noise, moderation is probably unnecessary.
          So far on GG, the only items I've seen that need deleting are mistakes.

          There's obviously some debate here over what the proper use is,
          however. I think we'll simply have to see how it goes.

          This is still a learning process for me and everyone else, of course.
          I'm not aware of any precedent here. :)

          -Nick
        • aquillion
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "wusemajor" <Wuse_Major@> wrote:
            > >
            > > So in the big fight between Gil and Tarvek, will we get to hear
            Gil
            > > say "I know something you don't know. I am not right handed."?
            >
            > I have an inkling he might not actually tell people
            > when he fights. On the other hand, you'd notice
            > anyway.
            >
            > Gil's fighting clanks are perhaps (1) ambidextrous
            > and (2) not particularly good at fighting. Well, this
            > is a thing in Star Wars spinoffs; even starfighter
            > pilots, for instance, with no more Force than any guy
            > off the street are way better than droid or robot
            > drone pilots. Apparently original thought scores over
            > microsecond reaction time. They practice in simulators
            > against computer pilots, but they notice if a living pilot
            > sits in on the program.
            >
            > Realistically, though, the clanks and the droids
            > should be winning!

            Gil's fighting clanks are also random, decaying rejects wandering the
            wasteland, even after he improves them. They might not even have
            been originally designed with combat as their primary purpose. I'm
            sure he'd come out much worse off if he went up against, say, a line
            of his father's military clanks with the big fuzzy hats.
          • lordamber1985
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Christina Schwanitz"
              <memehunter@...> wrote:

              > But Gilgamesh is obviously left-handed,

              >On the other
              > hand he suddenly fences with his right hand against the
              > warrior clank from the wastelands in Vol.5 page 94. Maybe
              > we can call that one a statistical abberation ;-) or Gil
              > was deliberately trying to fight with his off-hand to make
              > things more difficult... he *did* complain that the clank
              > was still too slow and died too fast.

              Or Gil was trained by a right handed fencing coach. I know
              a number of people who are left handed in general, but have
              been explicitly trained to use their right hand to fight.

              Yes, I spend too much time hanging around SCA types.

              > Agatha on the other hand

              > Castle Wulfenbach (although that might be a trained
              > habit - oldfashioned manners in some countries demanded
              > that people should transfer a fork to their right hand to
              > eat even if they'd used the fork (left) and knife (right)
              > to cut the food up prior to eating.

              That was actually part of common manners in most countries
              at some point. Usually because the left hand was concidered
              unclean in most countries at some point.

              Sean
            • lordamber1985
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                wrote:

                >Well, this
                > is a thing in Star Wars spinoffs; even starfighter
                > pilots, for instance, with no more Force than any guy
                > off the street are way better than droid or robot
                > drone pilots. Apparently original thought scores over
                > microsecond reaction time. They practice in simulators
                > against computer pilots, but they notice if a living pilot
                > sits in on the program.
                >
                > Realistically, though, the clanks and the droids
                > should be winning!

                Only if the mechanisms work faster for the clanks/droids than
                they do for the humans. No matter how fast you calculate the
                move, you can't actually *move* any faster.

                And from the text, it would seem that sparks may actually be
                faster on the calculation than clanks.

                Sean
              • Dylan Bruns
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                  > And from the text, it would seem that sparks may actually be
                  > faster on the calculation than clanks.
                  >

                  > Sean

                  Yeah, clanks are not very bright. Not droid quality at all. Only the
                  muses are sentient. The others just follow commands to the best of
                  their ability.
                • Mary Lowe-Hentges
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                    [I know a number of people who are left handed in general, but have been explicitly trained to use their right hand to fight.

                    Yes, I spend too much time hanging around SCA types.]

                    Such as the dance master who taught bransles by shouting "sword, sword, sword, shield" to get the fighters to use the correct feet.

                    I thought it interesting that Gil was for the most part "sinister-handed" except when he fought - Yes, Inigo came to mind.

                    Annechen Loewenstein
                    non scripta non est

                  • klegan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                      > Or Gil was trained by a right handed fencing coach. I know
                      > a number of people who are left handed in general, but have
                      > been explicitly trained to use their right hand to fight.
                      >
                      > Yes, I spend too much time hanging around SCA types.

                      I have a friend who is left handed and was taught to write right handed
                      by nuns (with nasty rulers as he puts it) who thought writing with
                      your left hand was somehow "wrong" (I'm just glad I wasn't taught in
                      a Catholic school). Funny thing is he will still write like alot of
                      left handed people, above the line he's writing, just with his right
                      hand instead of his left. Funny to watch.
                    • melmcm64
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, klegan <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > > Or Gil was trained by a right handed fencing coach. I know
                        > > a number of people who are left handed in general, but have
                        > > been explicitly trained to use their right hand to fight.
                        > >
                        > > Yes, I spend too much time hanging around SCA types.
                        > >

                        > I have a friend who is left handed and was taught to write right
                        handed
                        > by nuns (with nasty rulers as he puts it) who thought writing with
                        > your left hand was somehow "wrong" (I'm just glad I wasn't taught in
                        > a Catholic school). Funny thing is he will still write like alot of
                        > left handed people, above the line he's writing, just with his right
                        > hand instead of his left. Funny to watch.

                        I'm ambidexterous. I have a feeling I might have initially been right
                        handed but with a family that is pretty much 50/50 on handedness I
                        picked up the handedness of whomever was teaching me skills as a child
                        and got retrained. Funniest thing, confirmed by several other
                        ambidexterous people I've talked to, is that I can not tell right from
                        left instinctively. I just don't know without stopping and thinking
                        about it. So if I'm driving and you're giving me directions be sure to
                        give me long enough warning that I can figure out left from right.
                        <snicker>
                      • lordamber1985
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "melmcm64" <mmccutcheon@...> wrote:

                          > Funniest thing, confirmed by several other ambidexterous
                          > people I've talked to, is that I can not tell right from left
                          > instinctively. I just don't know without stopping and thinking
                          > about it. So if I'm driving and you're giving me directions be
                          > sure to give me long enough warning that I can figure out left
                          > from right.
                          > <snicker>

                          Hmmm. I've got several friends who are like that. The one
                          thing they all have in common is that they suffer from dyslexia.
                          Fairly mild in most cases, but definitely there.

                          Sean
                        • Mary Lowe-Hentges
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                            [Hmmm. I've got several friends who are like that. The one
                            thing they all have in common is that they suffer from dyslexia.]

                            Yo. 'Tis only suffering if you can't find some amusement in it. Mild as mine is, it affects numbers more than letters, which is why I was in some form of remedial math from third grade until college - when a professor said "Oh, you've started out with the wrong numbers, didn't your dyslexia coach warn you about that?"
                            "My bwuh?"

                            And driving - Himself makes sure to point, rather than have me check the "L" hand (point your index fingers forward and the thumbs at each other, which one makes a letter "L"?)

                            Annechen Loewenstein
                            non scripta non est