Re: [bureau-13] Re: [phoenixinn] Shuttle Down

  • John H. Reiher Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003
      At 1:21 PM -0800 2/1/03, Jay P Hailey wrote:
      >That is the way I am betting at this time.
      >
      >I think the space station is toasty
      >
      >they'll ground the shuttles for years while this is poked over, and
      >that's all she wrote for the Space Station.

      Oh, then she'd be Abandoned in Space then. Hmm, anyone want to pass
      the hat around so that we can buy a ride on a Russian rocket and
      claim salvage rights?

      >But I think in the end, The Discovery , the Atlantis and the Endeavor
      >will fly again.

      I hope not, they are flying corpses as it is. If NASA's shuttle
      program were an airline, the FAA would have shut them down long ago.
      It takes cannibalizing the parts from one to two shuttles to make a
      third space worthy. Why? Because Congress cut funding to the point
      that the only way to run the shuttle program is like it was a third
      world airline. Hell, most third world airlines are run better than
      the shuttle program. At least they have spare parts for their
      aircraft.

      This is the point where NASA needs to decide if it's in the
      research/exploration business or in the space business. It really
      can't be in both not with the budget it has. If it's in the
      research/exploration business then turn over the space business to
      private enterprise. Let private enterprise do the day to day space
      business. Sure NASA can play the role of Space Traffic Control, but
      that's it's only role.

      It's either that, or give them the damn money to do it right. I'm
      going to write all my congress critters and take that stance. Let
      NASA do the basic research and exploration, and let someone else do
      the space satellite business and let them rent the Space Station, or
      give NASA a source of funding that let's them run the business like
      it should be.

      I agree with Nick one thing: Let NASA patent it discoveries, it will
      make more than enough money to run itself then. I wonder how many
      projects become public if they knew that they could make money off of
      them?
      --
      ------------------------
      Kedamono@...

      http://www.ahtg.net
      ------------------------
      "Another one of them new worlds.
      No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
      Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
      tin cans."
      ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
      Forbidden Planet
    • gizmo_tinkerer <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@AOL.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
        Dear John and Girl Genius Form [original Msg#3055 -- and HTML link --
        at end of message after website list],

        We all mourn the heroes lost with the space shuttle Columbia.

        I cannot create an army of clanks or clones or rockets or dirigibles
        to save the day. However, many of my friend have both grieved for
        the loss and ranted about the lack of funding and worries that this
        will trap Homo Sapiens on Sol III. One reporter actually asked NASA
        if they expect a funding boost like they got after the Challenger
        accident and how they would spend it. The NASA spokesperson didn't
        give a fig for that, just wanted to mourn and find out what happened
        so they could stop it from happening again.

        If you want to make your grief, frustration, or any other feelings
        known, I have found the two official sites for contacting your
        elected officials. I have also found a third site. It was the most
        hits on google search for (write congress) that claims to be free and
        will email you your representatives votes on bills.

        Sincerely yours,
        Gizmo Tinkerer
        "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
        -Sir Isaac Newton (1642- 1727), letter to Robert Hooke, February 5,
        1675

        --- Web Sites ---
        Offical Contact Your Senator
        http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

        Offical Contact Your Congressor
        http://www.house.gov/writerep/

        First Hit on Google for (write congress). I have never heard of this
        webpage but it claims to send you emails with your congressor's votes.
        http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

        Congress.org is a free, public service of Capitol Advantage. It is