Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Bummed, but SO WHAT?

  • Santiago
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 6, 2003
      On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 01:29 AM, Clint Black wrote:

      > <Rant on>
      > Their games take advantage of and reinforce a person's
      > psychological dissociation with "normal" society. Do you
      > feel different from other people? Well, do we have the game
      > for you. It shocks me that people don't notice that each of
      > the main characters in their WoD games is built around a
      > dissociative mental illness.
      >
      > Vampire: Depression (My very life is a curse.)
      >
      > Werewolf: Delusional Psychosis (The Apocalypse is coming.
      > When will you Rage?)
      >
      > Mage: Paranoid Schizophrenia (We know the "real" world,
      > most are blind, but "Others" are out to get us because we
      > know.)
      >
      > Changeling: Dissociative Identity (No one sees me as I
      > really am.)
      >
      > Wraith: Depersonalization Disorder (No one knows I even
      > exist. I am a ghost.)
      > <Rant off>

      I guess that must be why I like In Nomine, which, by the same logic,
      is about delusions of grandeur. ("You're stronger, faster, and smarter
      than everyone around you, not to mention effectively immortal. Oh, and
      you're either a noble defender of the people or totally outside the
      reach of human laws and morality.")

      -- Santiago
    • khedges1 <khedges@mac.com>
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 8, 2003
        > My point was that the Foglios were NOT performing that kind of
        > violence in the action described. People die in the "Girl
        Genius"
        > universe. Sometimes they are killed brutally. These deaths are
        not
        > celebrated. Despite the basically fun mode of the comic, the
        world of
        > Agatha Heterodyne is a sad, terrifying place, and the common
        person
        > in that world is quite justified in his fear of Sparks and their
        > creations. And if it's terrifying and painful for someone like the
        > late Dr. Ng, imagine how it is for someone without any special
        > abilities or any power over their own lives.
        >
        > It would be very easy to sugar-coat the story, pretending
        > that "nobody ever really dies," or that "they only kill their own
        > kind" (a nasty little canard told about the Mafia to this day). The
        > Foglios, in this work so far, seem unwilling to be that
        dishonest.

        Rather Bujoldian, I think. For instance, in the "space opera/
        coming of age story" _The Warrior's Apprentice_, we start with
        Miles' elderly grandfather dying when Miles flunks the ImpMil
        entrance exam... then his closest companion is murdered at a
        meeting Miles set up. Reaction? Pain, despair, depression. For
        all the humor of the teenaged Miles as mercenary "Admiral
        Naismith" farce, heavy shit happens. And the grief does not
        entirely pass in later books. I could name examples from many
        others in that series, plus _Curse of Chalion_.

        Just my two Barrayaran marks.

        Kathryn