Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Bummed, but SO WHAT?

  • Tim O'Brien
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 5, 2003
      --- Clint Black <cblack@...> wrote:

      > <Rant on>
      > Their games take advantage of and reinforce a
      > person's
      > psychological dissociation with "normal" society.
      > Do you
      > feel different from other people? Well, do we have
      > the game
      > for you. It shocks me that people don't notice that
      > each of
      > the main characters in their WoD games is built
      > around a
      > dissociative mental illness.

      Funny, I've always taken the WW games as metaphors for
      adolesence.

      > Vampire: Depression (My very life is a curse.)

      I've gone through a weird change in my life, and now
      I'm moody, with flashes of power and strange driving
      hungers and lusts for things that I used to have no
      interest in or a disgust for.

      > Werewolf: Delusional Psychosis (The Apocalypse is
      > coming.
      > When will you Rage?)

      I've discovered I have great strength and power, but
      now there's hair in funny places!

      > Mage: Paranoid Schizophrenia (We know the "real"
      > world,
      > most are blind, but "Others" are out to get us
      > because we
      > know.)

      I understand things now that I never did, and know
      things in ways others don't, but the rest of the world
      is resistant to my vision!

      > Changeling: Dissociative Identity (No one sees me as
      > really am.)

      I am strange and alien to the social groups around me.

      > Wraith: Depersonalization Disorder (No one knows I
      > even
      > exist. I am a ghost.)

      I live in a world where I'm unimportant, I'm obsessed
      with trivial issues, and random punishment materialize
      out of nowhere!

      [snip]

      > To bring this slightly back on topic, this is one
      > reason I
      > like Girl Genius. Agatha treats everyone the same
      > whether
      > Spark, construct, Jager, or just regular person.
      > Their
      > differences don't make them any less a part of her
      > world.

      I agree! Agatha is very humane.

      =====
      TSOB
      Timothy Squire O'Brien

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • khedges1 <khedges@mac.com>
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 8, 2003
        > My point was that the Foglios were NOT performing that kind of
        > violence in the action described. People die in the "Girl
        Genius"
        > universe. Sometimes they are killed brutally. These deaths are
        not
        > celebrated. Despite the basically fun mode of the comic, the
        world of
        > Agatha Heterodyne is a sad, terrifying place, and the common
        person
        > in that world is quite justified in his fear of Sparks and their
        > creations. And if it's terrifying and painful for someone like the
        > late Dr. Ng, imagine how it is for someone without any special
        > abilities or any power over their own lives.
        >
        > It would be very easy to sugar-coat the story, pretending
        > that "nobody ever really dies," or that "they only kill their own
        > kind" (a nasty little canard told about the Mafia to this day). The
        > Foglios, in this work so far, seem unwilling to be that
        dishonest.

        Rather Bujoldian, I think. For instance, in the "space opera/
        coming of age story" _The Warrior's Apprentice_, we start with
        Miles' elderly grandfather dying when Miles flunks the ImpMil
        entrance exam... then his closest companion is murdered at a
        meeting Miles set up. Reaction? Pain, despair, depression. For
        all the humor of the teenaged Miles as mercenary "Admiral
        Naismith" farce, heavy shit happens. And the grief does not
        entirely pass in later books. I could name examples from many
        others in that series, plus _Curse of Chalion_.

        Just my two Barrayaran marks.

        Kathryn