[Girl Genius] Re: Bummed, but SO WHAT?

  • kenshi67357 <kenshi67357@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      > Why do you think there is no answer? The correct one is "No,
      I am not."

      Personally, I like to follow that up with a suggestion to try that
      comment rectally inserted. There's only one thing worse than a
      Vampire player who plays for killing - a prejudiced jerk who sees
      that in every player of the game, even when it's played in the
      mature, insightful way it's meant to be played.

      It's almost like the Spark, or at least the impression I get of it.
      Many folks with the Spark do little to no harm, using it to develop
      new things and improve the lot of the masses, like good little
      minions of society. It's the few who actually do cause problems, by
      madness or design, who give the others a bad name among the unwashed
      rabble - I mean, the common man. All Sparks therefore tend to be
      viewed as loose cannons - dangerous, but too beneficial on the whole
      to simply be disposed of. See? Prejudice. It's a dirty little
      beast, regardless of what it's applied to. Even something as simple
      as a hobby.

      Yes, I just accused you, original poster, of prejudice. Yes, I'm
      aware that it's not very nice to do that, and you'll probably object
      to what I said. I don't care. I've got everything laid out - back
      up your slanderous lies, apologize, or just remember to be more
      careful before you start dispensing discourtesy. I'm rather curious
      which you'll choose.
    • Randalt <m_randalt@yahoo.ca>
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kenshi67357 <kenshi67357@y...>"
        <kenshi67357@y...> wrote:

        ><snip>
        Jeez, can't you guys turn this into something constructive, like a
        discussion as to whether the "Dame Ædith" vampire hunter card in the
        Works game is a red herring or not? Would a Spark create vampires,
        or be a vampire?

        -R.
      • Susan Fox-Davis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
          <snort> Neofan. I got the Star Trek Primer as a stand-alone fanzine,
          with more episodes in it, long before the Startoons excerpt. I only
          have one copy of D'Arc Tangent though.

          Susan Fox-Davis, tired old fanne

          Brooks Rowlett wrote:

          > Gads but you guys are making me feel old. I first heard of Phil
          > Foglio at
          > Rivercon in Louisville and from seeing the "*Star Trek* Primer" in the
          > paperback
          > collection of SF comics called *Startoons*. It was a pleasant
          > surprise to start
          > encountering his stuff later in gaming.
          >
          > Brooks A Rowlett
          > Current owner of two copies of *D'Arc Tangent*

        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
            Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

            > <snort> Neofan. I got the Star Trek Primer as a stand-alone fanzine,
            > with more episodes in it, long before the Startoons excerpt. I only
            > have one copy of D'Arc Tangent though.
            >
            > Susan Fox-Davis, tired old fanne

            Hey, hey, hey. Be nice to us kids.. We can't all have been to the first
            WorldCon.

            I see a thread here - one copy of D'Arc Tangent, pre-ordered.

            Ron

            must preside at our assemblies.
            William O. Douglas

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • Susan Fox-Davis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
              Ron Martino wrote:

              > Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
              > >
              > > <snort> Neofan. I got the Star Trek Primer as a stand-alone
              > fanzine,
              > > with more episodes in it, long before the Startoons excerpt. I only
              >
              > > have one copy of D'Arc Tangent though.
              > >
              > > Susan Fox-Davis, tired old fanne
              >
              > Ron quips: Hey, hey, hey. Be nice to us kids.. We can't all have
              > been to the first WorldCon.

              There are but few folks yet living who can claim that honor. Nycon 1 in
              New York City, 1939, attendance 200. <http://worldcon.org/wclist.html>

              Obligatory Phil Content: Phil Foglio has had three nominations and two
              wins for Best Fan Artist Hugo, nomination in 1976 [same year as "The
              Capture"] and wins in 1977 and 1978. "The Capture" was nominated in
              1976 for "Best Dramatic Presentation" along with "Dark Star," "Monty
              Python And The Holy Grail," "Rollerball" and the winner, "A Boy And His
              Dog." <http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/Hugo1976.html>

              Susan
            • David Goldfarb
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                I actually bought a copy of "D'Arc Tangent" used at a half-price book store.
                It was pretty cool. Then I lost it (along with most of my other comics) in
                a fire. That was less cool.

                --
                David Goldfarb <*>|"Actually, I just enjoy bursting into flames...
                goldfarb@... | You should try it sometime...relieves a lot
                | of stress."
                goldfarb@... | -- Jen Hill on rec.arts.tv.mst3k
              • Kirsten Houseknecht
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
                  hi Allison!
                  i took a hiatus from this list for a couple of weeks.. or five...to deal
                  with business and find someone i know on the list when i get back!

                  i suppose i should cue some mad scientist ranting about this.. but i am a
                  bit too tired.
                  how are things going on the publishing end of things over there?
                  Kirsten
                  kirsten@...
                  http://www.fabricdragon.com

                  "Did you vote? No? Then don't come whining to me...."
                • Janet Anderson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2003
                    >From: "Kirsten Houseknecht" <kirsten@...>
                    >To: <girlgenius@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Bummed, but SO WHAT?
                    >Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:48:18 -0500
                    >
                    >hi Allison!
                    >i took a hiatus from this list for a couple of weeks.. or five...to deal
                    >with business and find someone i know on the list when i get back!

                    Make that two people. :)

                    Janet Anderson

                    * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                    An ordinary person says, "You have a face that would stop a clock." A
                    diplomat says, "When I look at you, time stands still."

                  • Allison E. Kaese <lady_aylinn@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Kirsten Houseknecht"
                      <kirsten@f...> wrote:
                      > hi Allison!
                      > i took a hiatus from this list for a couple of weeks.. or five...to
                      > deal with business and find someone i know on the list when i get
                      > back!

                      Yup. I lurk in lotsa places. I try to restrain the posting urge.

                      > i suppose i should cue some mad scientist ranting about this.. but i
                      > am a bit too tired.

                      It's been that kind of winter. Voice? I have no voice. It went on
                      christmas vacation and hasn't come back yet.

                      > how are things going on the publishing end of things over there?
                      > Kirsten

                      Same as any end of things. panic at too many projects, not enough
                      staff and/or money and/or resources and juggling everything in sight.

                      Oh, and Did I mention the tap dancing? _Lots of that._ Can anybody
                      tell me where to get copies of Ardsley or Boris? I'm not proud. I'd
                      take a few Constructs too. Too many things, not enough me.

                      And I missed issue 7! <grrrrhhhh>

                      AEK
                    • Kirsten Houseknecht
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 8, 2003
                        funny.. there seems to be a lot of overlap in fans of the Bujold
                        "Vorkosiverse" and fans of the Foglio's "Girl Genius" series.

                        assuming that said fans have read both....... there are a lot of Bujoldians
                        that i introduced to the Girl genius books who absolutely adored them, but
                        hadnt read them before.
                        i assume likewise there are fans of the Girl genius series that have
                        tragically missed out on Lois' works
                        (ob Bujold fan club motto "write, Lois, write!")