Re: #8 (spoilers)

  • gearweasel
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
      Spoiler space

      jeneralist=
      > Now, as far as I can tell, that's the first time the gender of the
      > Other has been indicated by someone who has a reason for knowing.

      --gearweasle comments:
      Not so fast! If Mr. Rovainen is a revenant of the Other, then
      wouldn't his speech be coerced to the Other's agenda? The Other may
      not care about the mercy killing of Dr. Vg, but to let slip vital
      information as to the pronoun nature of the Other? If it is common
      knowledge in the GG universe as to the gender of the Other, then the
      controlling influence wouldn't care. If not, then the name dropping
      of the gender of the Other may be a deception --Vg wasn't safely dead
      yet; why reveal useful, truthful information when you might be
      interrupted suddenly? The controlling influence nethodically managed
      to keep Mr Rovainen from making any verbal slips all this time, and
      yet now reveals crucial information when it does not need to, just to
      make conversation?

      --gearweasle
      and if Dr. Vg was safely dead, could a resurrected brain of hers
      remember the remark? A risky, risky lapse for a careful, covert,
      controlling presence.
    • Andrew Willett
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space

        > jeneralist=
        >> Now, as far as I can tell, that's the first time the gender of the
        >> Other has been indicated by someone who has a reason for knowing.
        >
        > --gearweasle comments:
        > Not so fast! If Mr. Rovainen is a revenant of the Other, then
        > wouldn't his speech be coerced to the Other's agenda? The Other may
        > not care about the mercy killing of Dr. Vg, but to let slip vital
        > information as to the pronoun nature of the Other? If it is common
        > knowledge in the GG universe as to the gender of the Other, then the
        > controlling influence wouldn't care. If not, then the name dropping
        > of the gender of the Other may be a deception --Vg wasn't safely dead
        > yet; why reveal useful, truthful information when you might be
        > interrupted suddenly? The controlling influence nethodically managed
        > to keep Mr Rovainen from making any verbal slips all this time, and
        > yet now reveals crucial information when it does not need to, just to
        > make conversation?

        --Trout interjects:
        BUT!

        Call it a hunch, but I bet that somewhere in the Evil Genius Secret
        Rulebook it is pretty much obligatory to taunt your enemy with accurate
        details of your plans AS SOON AS you are convinced that said plans
        cannot possibly fail. In which case Mr. Rovainen's disclosure should be
        taken at face value, because Dr. Vg had been stabbed and was therefore
        no longer a threat.

        This would be familiarly known as the "Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond"
        rule. Or in this case the "Now That You're Dying, Dr. Vg" rule.

        While I'm here: I might also ask the gang at Airship whether Mr.
        Rovainen is known to spend his free time collating things.

        Yours,
        Trout
        How do you pronounce "Vg," anyway?

        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
      • John H. Reiher Jr.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
          At 4:13 PM -0500 12/2/02, Andrew Willett wrote:
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space

          >--Trout interjects:
          >BUT!
          >
          >Call it a hunch, but I bet that somewhere in the Evil Genius Secret
          >Rulebook it is pretty much obligatory to taunt your enemy with accurate
          >details of your plans AS SOON AS you are convinced that said plans
          >cannot possibly fail. In which case Mr. Rovainen's disclosure should be
          >taken at face value, because Dr. Vg had been stabbed and was therefore
          >no longer a threat.
          >
          >This would be familiarly known as the "Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond"
          >rule. Or in this case the "Now That You're Dying, Dr. Vg" rule.

          Yes, and this is something that everyone has assumed. (Remember what
          happens when you assume...) Everyone is assuming that Dr. Vg is dead.
          This is Comic Book Rule #1: Unless you see the broken body and the
          horrified looks on the characters' faces, do not assume that the
          person is dead. (alternatively, "Unless you see the body cooling on
          the slab, then the tearful funeral, don't assume the person is dead."

          Dr. Vg could be "off camera" breathing... Dr Vg's last, ready to
          spoil the queen slaver wasp's plans... who looks an awful bit like
          the Dragon King from the kid's story BTW.

          >While I'm here: I might also ask the gang at Airship whether Mr.
          >Rovainen is known to spend his free time collating things.

          Probably keeps lists too...

          >Yours,
          >Trout
          >How do you pronounce "Vg," anyway?

          Just like you would pronounce "Ng"

          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space
          Spoiler space

          --
          ------------------------
          Kedamono@...

          http://www.ahtg.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
            >How do you pronounce "Vg," anyway?

            Either

            vig, with a very underpronounced i

            or ving, as Ng is pronounced "ing".

            -JWB

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Damien Sullivan
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
              On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:55:10PM -0000, jeneralist wrote:
              > Some Spoiler Space...
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > Some more...
              > ..
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .OK!
              >
              > I would like to point out 2 things that have already been mentioned,
              > but have not yet been linked together.
              >
              > Our friendly revenant says, "...and I have seen her."
              > Turn the page, and we seeing Agatha a picture of what her mother
              > "really" looked like.

              Yeah, as the guy who wondered if Rovainen was Barry, I also wondered if he was
              acting because he'd seen Agatha, or something like that.

              Also all the music used in this issue -- Agatha's mental music, the operatic
              voice of the Heroic Rescue Clank, and then the Big Slimy's whistle to the
              wasps. A connection? Maybe, maybe not.

              > to *Agatha*? If her had seen The Other in the past, and now sees
              > someone who looks alot like her... but no, then the Baron would have
              > spotted her back in Issue 1.

              We don't know the Baron has ever seen the Other.

              -xx- Damien X-)
            • Ron Martino
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                > How do you pronounce "Vg," anyway?