Re: Musings on Issue 8

  • gearweasel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
      Spoiler space

      dizzydava=
      I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped dingbot that looks a bit
      like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-Southerners).
      --gearweasle comments:
      I grew up in Kentucky and transplanted to Minnesota; we only
      called 'em ladybugs in both places. Maybe its a mid-western thing...

      dizzydava=
      The flashback scene is my absolute favorite part of the book! I find
      it most significant when Uncle Barry says, "Here are pictures of your
      mom and dad. How they _really_ looked."
      --gearweasle comments:
      I was really impressed that Phil has Barry dressed in chains when he
      enslaves Agatha's spark.

      dizzydava=
      Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?
      --gearweasle comments:
      Green is my position. You may note, in Issue 4, when Moloch clamps
      his hands over her mouth, it's rendered in a blue, but I think that
      was just to keep the whites prominently shocked, as the gradients of
      the eyeballs were blue; the entire eyes were a greyscale in blue to
      emphasize white fright. The next page, her eyes are green. Also, in
      GG:the Works she has green eyes on the Agatha card-value 5. And
      Laurie Smith renders them green in the short story, "The Electric
      Coffin". Mostly, I think the blue possibilities only come from being
      behind blue-colored glasses.

      dizzydava=
      I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
      as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe. Did
      anyone notice the dingbot Conga line?
      --gearweasle comments:
      I don't know that Agatha would use the word "adore". Notice she's
      looking directly at the pervert dingbot that's running underneath her
      skirt! Well! As to overpopulating pests, they seem to suffer
      from "Xerox effect"-- that's to say, the later copies are inferior to
      the originals and so on. Personally, I think they just wanna hang
      with Miss Clay.

      Ah, Conga lines. When I was in High School, in science class, the
      equations that seemed to have little practical value, got retired to
      Conga line duty. PV = nRT was the one I remember, truly useless in
      chemistry, but great for winding up and down the halls in a Conga
      line. Perhaps we should have Equation Conga Line Contests at the next
      GG conventions? Whaddya think?

      dizzydava=
      Does the clank play music while speaking, or are his words somehow
      musical?
      --gearweasle comments:
      I imagine a singing Canadian Mounty style, at worse, in Duddley Do-
      Right's voice.

      dizzydava=
      Overall, great issue! Quick pace, nice developments, excellent art.
      Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
      fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
      cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
      at home?
      --gearweasle comments:
      OOOO! At shot at McNabb! This deserves a separate post, but I'll say
      here that McNabb's coloring and shading choices carry the entire
      page24! Phil's line art is weak there, and it's McNabb who spotlights
      Gil desperation, and who gives depth to the Slaver Wasps shadowy
      menace.

      Would you allow purchased Agatha iconography count for sending in
      pics? I've got a polymer clay Krosp I purchased (sans coat, it's just
      a white cat) that I keep just underneath my monitor.

      --gearweasle
    • Theala Sildorian
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
        On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 07:04:11 +0000, Dava said:

        >Wait a minute, Gil! Why is Othar dangerous to Agatha??

        Othar isn't dangerous to just Agatha . . . he's dangerous PERIOD! He
        thinks he's a great hero, and probably "rescues" people who aren't in any
        danger, or wouldn't be but for him. I can't think of anything more
        dangerous than someone who thinks he's a hero, and has to spend all of
        his time proving it.

        >Does the clank play music while speaking, or are his words somehow
        >musical? I wonder where he takes poor Othar.

        I definately thot the clank was singing--much like an opera. As for
        Othar--I'm sure we'll find out in upcoming issues. :)

        >Klaus and the Jagers fall into "Heterodyne Adventure" mode. I
        >laughed so much at how they interacted in this part. And Bang really
        >is crazy if Von Pinn doesn't frighten her. Even Klaus tries not to
        >upset her.

        Yeah, Klaus really looked happy, didn't he? :)

        Great issue! I can hardly wait for issue 9!

        --
        Amy G. Crittenden aka Theala Sildorian
        http://pages.sbcglobal.net/theala/hero.html
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
          On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:04:11AM -0000, Dava wrote:
          > Now that I've had time to read Issue 8 a few times, and read everyone
          > else's comments, I thought I'd add a few of my own. So here comes da
          > spoiler space...
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > dingbot that looks a bit like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-
          > Southerners).

          Ladybug in Chicago.

          > any definite references to Vg's gender? I also wonder who Rovainen
          > is under all those wraps.

          I have no evidence, but when the next page featured Barry I thought of him.
          Roughly the right build, I think -- Barry's short, he just seems huge in 5yo
          Agatha's memories.

          > it most significant when Uncle Barry says, "Here are pictures of your
          > mom and dad. How they _really_ looked." Did something happen to
          > them after Agatha was born? I thought it might be that she only knew

          Given that she was raised by Barry and two constructs, presumably yes!

          > them from the stories, but that can't be right. She couldn't know
          > them from the legends, or she'd know she's a Heterodyne. I also

          I think she doesn't know much about them period. Never saw them, the adults
          never said much... I do wonder how the Clays got away with that.

          -xx- Damien X-)

          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
        • Dava
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
            Initiate spoiler spacing...
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            --- In girlgenius@y..., Damien Sullivan <phoenix@U...> wrote:
            > > I also wonder who Rovainen
            > > is under all those wraps.
            >
            > I have no evidence, but when the next page featured Barry I thought
            of him.
            > Roughly the right build, I think -- Barry's short, he just seems
            huge in 5yo
            > Agatha's memories.

            I'd thought that as well, but then I remembered how Rovainen had, er,
            fondled Agatha, exclaimed "Eeeew!!" and promptly swept that idea
            aside. :P You're right--he does have the right build, and even
            similar posture. The goggles may stand in for his old glasses.
            Barry was certainly the first suspect to pop in my mind! I just
            don't think the "snerk snerk" scene fits in with that.

            Dava
          • Dava
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space
              > Spoiler space

              dizzydava=
              I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped dingbot that looks a bit
              like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-Southerners).
              --gearweasle comments:
              I grew up in Kentucky and transplanted to Minnesota; we only
              called 'em ladybugs in both places. Maybe its a mid-western thing...
              ---Dava replies:
              Yeah! I was surprised at how many people commented on that! Maybe
              it's just people from New England who call them that. I've seen odd
              looks before when I called them ladybugs.

              dizzydava=
              Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?
              --gearweasle comments:
              Green is my position. You may note, in Issue 4, when Moloch clamps
              his hands over her mouth, it's rendered in a blue, but I think that
              was just to keep the whites prominently shocked, as the gradients of
              the eyeballs were blue; the entire eyes were a greyscale in blue to
              emphasize white fright. The next page, her eyes are green. Also, in
              GG:the Works she has green eyes on the Agatha card-value 5. And
              Laurie Smith renders them green in the short story, "The Electric
              Coffin". Mostly, I think the blue possibilities only come from being
              behind blue-colored glasses.
              ---Dava retorts:
              I think it's just a continuity error. ;) Even in the new flashback
              scene, her eyes switch from blue to green to blue again, without her
              wearing any glasses. The only excuse I could come up with is that
              she has eyes that shade of blue that appears to change color
              according to what she's wearing. Then again, that doesn't explain
              why her locket is silver in some pictures. :P

              dizzydava=
              I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
              as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe.
              --gearweasle comments:
              As to overpopulating pests, they seem to suffer from "Xerox effect"--
              that's to say, the later copies are inferior to the originals and so
              on. Personally, I think they just wanna hang with Miss Clay.
              ---Dava replies:
              True! Who wouldn't? Even if they're inferior, I can still see them
              multiplying quickly. Maybe they build better dingbots every now and
              then, if only by accident! Can't you imagine the hilarity of
              dingbots overrunning Europe, though? A poor peasant couple wakes up
              only to find their pneumatic toaster is broken, and parts of it run
              by in new form, wrench in hand. How will they make their waffles?

              dizzydava=
              Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
              fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
              cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
              at home?
              --gearweasle comments:
              OOOO! At shot at McNabb!
              ---Dava replies:
              No, no! It's not a shot at McNabb! I'm just a bit of a comic
              purist, I guess. By and large, I don't care for computerized
              coloring. It works well in a few formats, like when the characters
              are all mechanical (Transformers look great with computer-coloring).
              There are also people who render their entire work on the computer,
              and the viewer is none the wiser (Brian Bolland, you are a god!!).
              For the most part, though, I don't care for it. I like it when
              colorists sit down with markers and pots of paint instead of a
              monitor and mouse. I think organic characters deserve to be colored
              by hand. It makes them more human, somehow. (And don't get me
              started on ink work!)

              As for the iconography, I was asking whether we should send pictures
              to StudioFoglio. LOL! But I don't see any reason why we couldn't
              post the pictures here for everyone to see!

              Dava
            • dahak@compuserve.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
                On 1 Dec 2002 at 13:42, gearweasel wrote:

                > Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?

                Somepeople have eyes that appear either blueish or greenish depending on
                conditions [Lighting and possibly emotions]. Admitedly not that blue or green.

                Adam
              • lohquesse@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space

                  In a message dated 12/1/2002 1:16:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, theala@... writes:

                  > Great issue! I can hardly wait for issue 9!

                  ESPECIALLY since I read Previews. They had a VERY tantalizing little bit last month about issue 9. Now I have to wait for it. It is REALLY hard...I still wonder how the "kids" are going to help Gil and Agatha - and how Von Pinn will react when they all get to the slaver wasp center and see all of the kids.

                  Heh Heh Heh. She is going to MAD!!!! Don't KNOW what Klaus will do.

                  Lohquesse/Moria

                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                  spoiler space
                • Alex Jaruk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 11, 2002
                    > Somepeople have eyes that appear either blueish or
                    > greenish depending on
                    > conditions [Lighting and possibly emotions].
                    > Admitedly not that blue or green.

                    Not true. There is a rair eye color type calld "Chlat
                    twoy ount.(by sound not actual spelling)" witch can
                    range (largely baced on mood) frome gun metal grey too
                    crimson and every other eye color. I should know, both
                    my father & my self have it.

                    =====
                    Prof. Alexei Yaruk
                    Mecharaburg Institute of Mechanical Study
                    Dept. of Applied Electrical Research

                    <,,,,>

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com