Musings on Issue 8

  • Dava
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2002
      Now that I've had time to read Issue 8 a few times, and read everyone
      else's comments, I thought I'd add a few of my own. So here comes da
      spoiler space...
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      Aww, they changed the cover! The cover in Previews was super cool--
      Agatha looked so sparky! But this one is neat, too. Lots of
      detail! I especially like the dingbot who (apparently) used to be a
      TV. Holy anachronisms! I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped
      dingbot that looks a bit like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-
      Southerners).

      Good goly, the first four pages! I've always wondered about Dr.
      Vg... What exactly _is_ Dr. Vg? Vg is kinda androgynous, and
      everyone plays the pronoun game when discussing him/her. Are there
      any definite references to Vg's gender? I also wonder who Rovainen
      is under all those wraps.

      If Rovainen were a revenant, I wonder why it took him so long to
      activate the machine. I'm guessing he's been spying on Klaus (or
      someone) for the Other. And the Other's a she! Would Lucrezia be
      too obvious a suspect? I can picture the scenario: Lucrezia
      eventually remarried to Klaus, who complains he hasn't seen his wife
      in years, and so he hunts for signs of the Other, knowing it is her.
      Poor, lonely fella! Of course, the Other could be anybody. Maybe
      it's the mysterious figure from the electrical anomaly, or You Know,
      Her. LOL!

      The flashback scene is my absolute favorite part of the book! I find
      it most significant when Uncle Barry says, "Here are pictures of your
      mom and dad. How they _really_ looked." Did something happen to
      them after Agatha was born? I thought it might be that she only knew
      them from the stories, but that can't be right. She couldn't know
      them from the legends, or she'd know she's a Heterodyne. I also
      wonder what she was building. And dadgummit! Is the locket silver
      or gold? Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?

      I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
      as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe. Did
      anyone notice the dingbot Conga line?

      Gil notes that Agatha didn't really "break through." There was no
      trauma or moments of insanity. I'm guessing it's because her actual
      breakthrough was when she was very young. Perhaps when something
      happened to her parents (whatever it was that changed their
      appearance), and she broke through in response.

      Wait a minute, Gil! Why is Othar dangerous to Agatha??

      Does the clank play music while speaking, or are his words somehow
      musical? I wonder where he takes poor Othar.

      Klaus and the Jagers fall into "Heterodyne Adventure" mode. I
      laughed so much at how they interacted in this part. And Bang really
      is crazy if Von Pinn doesn't frighten her. Even Klaus tries not to
      upset her.

      I'm guessing the Heterodyne artifact plays in Agatha's future time
      travels? Where do they go when they disappear?

      And then a cliffhanger ending! Aaaaack! Please, please tell me the
      next issue will be on time! I can't hold my breath for very long!

      Overall, great issue! Quick pace, nice developments, excellent art.
      Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
      fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
      cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
      at home?

      Okay, more spoiler space!
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      Dava
    • gearweasel
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space
        Spoiler space

        dizzydava=
        I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped dingbot that looks a bit
        like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-Southerners).
        --gearweasle comments:
        I grew up in Kentucky and transplanted to Minnesota; we only
        called 'em ladybugs in both places. Maybe its a mid-western thing...

        dizzydava=
        The flashback scene is my absolute favorite part of the book! I find
        it most significant when Uncle Barry says, "Here are pictures of your
        mom and dad. How they _really_ looked."
        --gearweasle comments:
        I was really impressed that Phil has Barry dressed in chains when he
        enslaves Agatha's spark.

        dizzydava=
        Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?
        --gearweasle comments:
        Green is my position. You may note, in Issue 4, when Moloch clamps
        his hands over her mouth, it's rendered in a blue, but I think that
        was just to keep the whites prominently shocked, as the gradients of
        the eyeballs were blue; the entire eyes were a greyscale in blue to
        emphasize white fright. The next page, her eyes are green. Also, in
        GG:the Works she has green eyes on the Agatha card-value 5. And
        Laurie Smith renders them green in the short story, "The Electric
        Coffin". Mostly, I think the blue possibilities only come from being
        behind blue-colored glasses.

        dizzydava=
        I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
        as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe. Did
        anyone notice the dingbot Conga line?
        --gearweasle comments:
        I don't know that Agatha would use the word "adore". Notice she's
        looking directly at the pervert dingbot that's running underneath her
        skirt! Well! As to overpopulating pests, they seem to suffer
        from "Xerox effect"-- that's to say, the later copies are inferior to
        the originals and so on. Personally, I think they just wanna hang
        with Miss Clay.

        Ah, Conga lines. When I was in High School, in science class, the
        equations that seemed to have little practical value, got retired to
        Conga line duty. PV = nRT was the one I remember, truly useless in
        chemistry, but great for winding up and down the halls in a Conga
        line. Perhaps we should have Equation Conga Line Contests at the next
        GG conventions? Whaddya think?

        dizzydava=
        Does the clank play music while speaking, or are his words somehow
        musical?
        --gearweasle comments:
        I imagine a singing Canadian Mounty style, at worse, in Duddley Do-
        Right's voice.

        dizzydava=
        Overall, great issue! Quick pace, nice developments, excellent art.
        Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
        fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
        cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
        at home?
        --gearweasle comments:
        OOOO! At shot at McNabb! This deserves a separate post, but I'll say
        here that McNabb's coloring and shading choices carry the entire
        page24! Phil's line art is weak there, and it's McNabb who spotlights
        Gil desperation, and who gives depth to the Slaver Wasps shadowy
        menace.

        Would you allow purchased Agatha iconography count for sending in
        pics? I've got a polymer clay Krosp I purchased (sans coat, it's just
        a white cat) that I keep just underneath my monitor.

        --gearweasle
      • Theala Sildorian
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
          On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 07:04:11 +0000, Dava said:

          >Wait a minute, Gil! Why is Othar dangerous to Agatha??

          Othar isn't dangerous to just Agatha . . . he's dangerous PERIOD! He
          thinks he's a great hero, and probably "rescues" people who aren't in any
          danger, or wouldn't be but for him. I can't think of anything more
          dangerous than someone who thinks he's a hero, and has to spend all of
          his time proving it.

          >Does the clank play music while speaking, or are his words somehow
          >musical? I wonder where he takes poor Othar.

          I definately thot the clank was singing--much like an opera. As for
          Othar--I'm sure we'll find out in upcoming issues. :)

          >Klaus and the Jagers fall into "Heterodyne Adventure" mode. I
          >laughed so much at how they interacted in this part. And Bang really
          >is crazy if Von Pinn doesn't frighten her. Even Klaus tries not to
          >upset her.

          Yeah, Klaus really looked happy, didn't he? :)

          Great issue! I can hardly wait for issue 9!

          --
          Amy G. Crittenden aka Theala Sildorian
          http://pages.sbcglobal.net/theala/hero.html
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
            On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:04:11AM -0000, Dava wrote:
            > Now that I've had time to read Issue 8 a few times, and read everyone
            > else's comments, I thought I'd add a few of my own. So here comes da
            > spoiler space...
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > dingbot that looks a bit like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-
            > Southerners).

            Ladybug in Chicago.

            > any definite references to Vg's gender? I also wonder who Rovainen
            > is under all those wraps.

            I have no evidence, but when the next page featured Barry I thought of him.
            Roughly the right build, I think -- Barry's short, he just seems huge in 5yo
            Agatha's memories.

            > it most significant when Uncle Barry says, "Here are pictures of your
            > mom and dad. How they _really_ looked." Did something happen to
            > them after Agatha was born? I thought it might be that she only knew

            Given that she was raised by Barry and two constructs, presumably yes!

            > them from the stories, but that can't be right. She couldn't know
            > them from the legends, or she'd know she's a Heterodyne. I also

            I think she doesn't know much about them period. Never saw them, the adults
            never said much... I do wonder how the Clays got away with that.

            -xx- Damien X-)

            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .
          • Dava
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
              Initiate spoiler spacing...
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              --- In girlgenius@y..., Damien Sullivan <phoenix@U...> wrote:
              > > I also wonder who Rovainen
              > > is under all those wraps.
              >
              > I have no evidence, but when the next page featured Barry I thought
              of him.
              > Roughly the right build, I think -- Barry's short, he just seems
              huge in 5yo
              > Agatha's memories.

              I'd thought that as well, but then I remembered how Rovainen had, er,
              fondled Agatha, exclaimed "Eeeew!!" and promptly swept that idea
              aside. :P You're right--he does have the right build, and even
              similar posture. The goggles may stand in for his old glasses.
              Barry was certainly the first suspect to pop in my mind! I just
              don't think the "snerk snerk" scene fits in with that.

              Dava
            • Dava
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space
                > Spoiler space

                dizzydava=
                I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped dingbot that looks a bit
                like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-Southerners).
                --gearweasle comments:
                I grew up in Kentucky and transplanted to Minnesota; we only
                called 'em ladybugs in both places. Maybe its a mid-western thing...
                ---Dava replies:
                Yeah! I was surprised at how many people commented on that! Maybe
                it's just people from New England who call them that. I've seen odd
                looks before when I called them ladybugs.

                dizzydava=
                Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?
                --gearweasle comments:
                Green is my position. You may note, in Issue 4, when Moloch clamps
                his hands over her mouth, it's rendered in a blue, but I think that
                was just to keep the whites prominently shocked, as the gradients of
                the eyeballs were blue; the entire eyes were a greyscale in blue to
                emphasize white fright. The next page, her eyes are green. Also, in
                GG:the Works she has green eyes on the Agatha card-value 5. And
                Laurie Smith renders them green in the short story, "The Electric
                Coffin". Mostly, I think the blue possibilities only come from being
                behind blue-colored glasses.
                ---Dava retorts:
                I think it's just a continuity error. ;) Even in the new flashback
                scene, her eyes switch from blue to green to blue again, without her
                wearing any glasses. The only excuse I could come up with is that
                she has eyes that shade of blue that appears to change color
                according to what she's wearing. Then again, that doesn't explain
                why her locket is silver in some pictures. :P

                dizzydava=
                I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
                as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe.
                --gearweasle comments:
                As to overpopulating pests, they seem to suffer from "Xerox effect"--
                that's to say, the later copies are inferior to the originals and so
                on. Personally, I think they just wanna hang with Miss Clay.
                ---Dava replies:
                True! Who wouldn't? Even if they're inferior, I can still see them
                multiplying quickly. Maybe they build better dingbots every now and
                then, if only by accident! Can't you imagine the hilarity of
                dingbots overrunning Europe, though? A poor peasant couple wakes up
                only to find their pneumatic toaster is broken, and parts of it run
                by in new form, wrench in hand. How will they make their waffles?

                dizzydava=
                Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
                fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
                cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
                at home?
                --gearweasle comments:
                OOOO! At shot at McNabb!
                ---Dava replies:
                No, no! It's not a shot at McNabb! I'm just a bit of a comic
                purist, I guess. By and large, I don't care for computerized
                coloring. It works well in a few formats, like when the characters
                are all mechanical (Transformers look great with computer-coloring).
                There are also people who render their entire work on the computer,
                and the viewer is none the wiser (Brian Bolland, you are a god!!).
                For the most part, though, I don't care for it. I like it when
                colorists sit down with markers and pots of paint instead of a
                monitor and mouse. I think organic characters deserve to be colored
                by hand. It makes them more human, somehow. (And don't get me
                started on ink work!)

                As for the iconography, I was asking whether we should send pictures
                to StudioFoglio. LOL! But I don't see any reason why we couldn't
                post the pictures here for everyone to see!

                Dava
              • dahak@compuserve.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2002
                  On 1 Dec 2002 at 13:42, gearweasel wrote:

                  > Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?

                  Somepeople have eyes that appear either blueish or greenish depending on
                  conditions [Lighting and possibly emotions]. Admitedly not that blue or green.

                  Adam
                • lohquesse@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space

                    In a message dated 12/1/2002 1:16:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, theala@... writes:

                    > Great issue! I can hardly wait for issue 9!

                    ESPECIALLY since I read Previews. They had a VERY tantalizing little bit last month about issue 9. Now I have to wait for it. It is REALLY hard...I still wonder how the "kids" are going to help Gil and Agatha - and how Von Pinn will react when they all get to the slaver wasp center and see all of the kids.

                    Heh Heh Heh. She is going to MAD!!!! Don't KNOW what Klaus will do.

                    Lohquesse/Moria

                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                    spoiler space
                  • Alex Jaruk
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2002
                      > Somepeople have eyes that appear either blueish or
                      > greenish depending on
                      > conditions [Lighting and possibly emotions].
                      > Admitedly not that blue or green.

                      Not true. There is a rair eye color type calld "Chlat
                      twoy ount.(by sound not actual spelling)" witch can
                      range (largely baced on mood) frome gun metal grey too
                      crimson and every other eye color. I should know, both
                      my father & my self have it.

                      =====
                      Prof. Alexei Yaruk
                      Mecharaburg Institute of Mechanical Study
                      Dept. of Applied Electrical Research

                      <,,,,>

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com