Re: face Inking

  • eamancz
    Message 1 of 774 , Oct 12, 2001
      <<Okay, I'm up to date on the conversation
      now.<br>I'll get Cheyenne (our Dean of Admissions, who is
      dealing with cafepress.com) to get the color arms offered
      as soon as he can.>><br><br>Thank you! I
      really REALLY want this logo on a tee-shirt so I wear it
      on exam days... Bwa, ha, ha.... <br><br><<It
      may interest everybody to know that we are working on
      a little backup series called "Translyvania
      Polygnostic" which focuses on life at the University about
      five years after the events in Girl Genius. So you'll
      get to see a little more of the old
      school.>><br><br>Wonderful! Um, why five years after? Is something
      significant going to happen that we need to jump five years
      ahead? Or do you just not want to take a chance on
      messing up the continuity of the main story? I wonder who
      will be the Head then... I doubt that Professor Merlot
      would have lasted that long... <br><br><<We also
      have some stuff starring Trelawney Thorpe, another
      "Girl Genius" in the works. She hasn't shown up in the
      book yet, but she will. She's in the card
      game.>><br><br>There's a lot of interesting people in the card game who
      I can't wait to see! I really want to see another
      female Spark though... so any stories about Trelawny
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.