Re: Wondering...

  • eamancz
    Message 1 of 774 , Oct 12, 2001
      Oooooh! I think you've got something! Aaaah, I
      wish I had thought of that! I've kind of wandered
      around the edge of this idea, but I never made the
      leap.... thanks! <br><br><<I'm wondering-They've
      said that Sparks don't get along all that well. But,
      the Heterodyne Boys worked together, as well as with
      Mongfish and Wulfenbach. Most recently, we see Agatha and
      Gil working rather well together (OK, maybe not very
      chummy, but it was a very stressful situation, dontcha
      think?). Do you think the name-HeteroDyne (Hetero-genous
      Dyn-amics) may be a clue to the fact that the nature of
      their (the family's style of) Sparks is to facillitate
      co-operation between mad-boys and mad-girls? Just an idle
      thought. >><br><br>Yes, I think that is a valid
      speculation -- and "heterodyne" is a major hint! Could even
      be that the Heterodyne effect goes beyond Sparks to
      work on "normals" as well... And this could easily
      explain why Dr. Beetle wanted Agatha as a lab assistant
      despite her klutziness... she helped people work together
      and think better even when her own spark was being
      suppressed.... <br><br>I wonder if Klaus will notice this...
      since his main area of study is the study of the Spark
      and since he knew the Heterodyne Boys well, he's the
      most likely person to recognize Agatha for who and
      what she is. I'm kind of surprised that nothing is
      knocking at the doors of his attention yet... <br>Wow. Now
      my mind is racing a mile a minute!
      Thanks!<br><br>Liz
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.