Re: [Girl Genius] Re: "It was one of us".

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
      At 10:52 AM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
      >If Lucrezia is the Other, could "one of us" conceivably include her
      >dear hubby, Bill? As in, not one of the Geisterdamen, but "one of our
      >crowd of people who are part of the Lady's group?" Of course, it's
      >probably a geisterdamen that Bill and Barry subverted. By dint of
      >persuasion or technology, its hard to tell.
      >
      >As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
      >group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
      >"spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."
      >
      >(With kudos to the Google translation software - I don't speak a lick
      >of German not found on "Hogan's Heroes".)
      >
      >(Well, ok, maybe a word or two more, only, from association with my
      >bro, Gallamor, long a member of this board, who is marrying an
      >*extremely nice* German girl later this year.)

      A question I'd also bring up is that where do geisterdamen come from? If
      they're not born but are perhaps transformed humans, perhaps someone could
      have gone "undercover" as one of them . . .
    • Blade
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, gewineda <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > (Well, ok, maybe a word or two more, only, from association with my
        > bro, Gallamor, long a member of this board, who is marrying an
        > *extremely nice* German girl later this year.)

        Ho! Vaitaminnit! Hyu is Smac's brudder? Pliz to meet hyu!

        (Smac, duz dot make heem my brudder, too? Or iz ve vorking mit de
        family tree in de tessaract aggen?)

        Blade @%]
      • Karrion
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, gewineda <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > If Lucrezia is the Other, could "one of us" conceivably include her
          > dear hubby, Bill? As in, not one of the Geisterdamen, but "one of our
          > crowd of people who are part of the Lady's group?" Of course, it's
          > probably a geisterdamen that Bill and Barry subverted. By dint of
          > persuasion or technology, its hard to tell.

          If not one of the Geisterdamen a good bet would be Dr. Mongfish. as
          per "Dragon of Mars"
          'truth is stranger than fiction'
          'Fictional truth is stranger than fictional fiction'?
        • dirk r. festus festerling
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
            > As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
            > group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
            > "spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."

            close: Geisterherren is the plural, Othar so far would just be one
            Geisterherr.

            on a second thought:
            vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
            chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)
          • gewineda
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "dirk r. festus festerling"
              <festusdirk@y...> wrote:

              > > As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
              > > group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
              > > "spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."
              >
              > close: Geisterherren is the plural, Othar so far would just be one
              > Geisterherr.
              >
              > on a second thought:
              > vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
              > chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)

              What can I say? The lady has good taste.

              Look at this way...at least he ain't French.

              Or...(ALERT - BAD GRADE B MOVIE REFERENCE)...Martian.

            • Blade
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                <festusdirk@y...> wrote:
                > on a second thought:
                > vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
                > chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)

                Dey iz both Fannisch.
                Dey iz both goot filkerz.
                Dey iz in luff.

                None uff dot payz enny attenshun to zilly tings like Borders.

                Blade @;7
              • jbwoodford
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:

                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "dirk r. festus festerling"
                  > <festusdirk@y...> wrote:
                  > > on a second thought:
                  > > vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
                  > > chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)
                  >
                  > Dey iz both Fannisch.
                  > Dey iz both goot filkerz.
                  > Dey iz in luff.
                  >
                  > None uff dot payz enny attenshun to zilly tings like Borders.

                  Unless it's the only decent bookstore in town, of course!
                • gewineda
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "dirk r. festus festerling"
                    > <festusdirk@y...> wrote:
                    > > on a second thought:
                    > > vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
                    > > chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)
                    >
                    > Dey iz both Fannisch.
                    > Dey iz both goot filkerz.
                    > Dey iz in luff.
                    >
                    > None uff dot payz enny attenshun to zilly tings like Borders.
                    >
                    > Blade @;7

                    Very, very true. You've obviously heard them sing.

                    Time was, long before I got busy (and married), years (and years and
                    years) ago, I even wrote a few lyrics for ol' Steve. He's obviously
                    gone on to bigger and better things, of course. When I'm alone in the
                    car, on my way to some deposition or trial or something, I sometimes
                    pop one of his cd's in. When I don't listen to PDQ Bach.
                  • Thomas Erickson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Vere hi liffz, ve hef en embarassment off reechez. Zer borderz, zer Barnes
                      und Freund, Unkle Hugoz, und Dreamhaffen.
                      Von vonderz how to schpend vonz Marks eekvally.
                      Ah, und der Rat Patrol ist out on DVD. Talk aboot Hetz!
                      Thomas in Reminiscing land

                      On 2/1/06, jbwoodford <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "dirk r. festus festerling"
                      > > <festusdirk@y...> wrote:
                      > > > on a second thought:
                      > > > vy iz you brodder takink our vomen?
                      > > > chust beink ekstremely nize iz no eksuse... ;-)
                      > >
                      > > Dey iz both Fannisch.
                      > > Dey iz both goot filkerz.
                      > > Dey iz in luff.
                      > >
                      > > None uff dot payz enny attenshun to zilly tings like Borders.
                      > >
                      > Unless it's the only decent bookstore in town, of course!
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • jbwoodford
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@g...> wrote:

                        > Vere hi liffz, ve hef en embarassment off reechez. Zer borderz, zer
                        Barnes
                        > und Freund, Unkle Hugoz, und Dreamhaffen.
                        > Von vonderz how to schpend vonz Marks eekvally.
                        > Ah, und der Rat Patrol ist out on DVD. Talk aboot Hetz!
                        > Thomas in Reminiscing land

                        That's one of the many things I miss about Madison...leaving aside the
                        chains (of which we had a couple), we had University Bookstore,
                        Pic-A-Book and (counts on fingers) at least *six* used bookstores
                        along less than a mile of street*. Not to mention another five or six
                        outside the downtown area. All in a city of ~200k.

                        JBWoodford

                        *Incidentally, that less-than-a-mile-of-street is walking distance
                        from the Concourse Hotel, site of WisCon 30 (www.wiscon.info). For
                        those of you not doing anything else the last weekend in May (I
                        understand it conflicts w/MarCon, among others), check it out--GoH's
                        Kate Wilhelm and Jane Yolen, and the list of previous GoH's attending
                        includes Ursula LeGuin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro,
                        and a host of others.
                      • Jefferson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                          gewineda wrote:
                          > If Lucrezia is the Other, could "one of us" conceivably include her
                          > dear hubby, Bill? As in, not one of the Geisterdamen, but "one of our
                          > crowd of people who are part of the Lady's group?" Of course, it's
                          > probably a geisterdamen that Bill and Barry subverted. By dint of
                          > persuasion or technology, its hard to tell.
                          >
                          > As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
                          > group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
                          > "spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."

                          "Geisterdamen" is what OTHER people call them. We have no idea
                          what they call themselves.

                          --
                          Jefferson
                          http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                            On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Jefferson wrote:

                            > gewineda wrote:
                            >> If Lucrezia is the Other, could "one of us" conceivably include her
                            >> dear hubby, Bill? As in, not one of the Geisterdamen, but "one of
                            >> our
                            >> crowd of people who are part of the Lady's group?" Of course, it's
                            >> probably a geisterdamen that Bill and Barry subverted. By dint of
                            >> persuasion or technology, its hard to tell.
                            >>
                            >> As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
                            >> group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
                            >> "spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."
                            >
                            > "Geisterdamen" is what OTHER people call them. We have no idea
                            > what they call themselves.

                            True, but it's as good a term as any. But I don't think Othar's a
                            geisterherr, he's just a regular looney. With a very strong Spark.
                            And Jenka could not have been changed from a geisterdame by Bill or
                            Barry: Kaja has stated point-blank that no Heterodyne has ever
                            deliberately created a jagerfemme.
                          • therianthropologist_dave
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings1@...>
                              wrote:

                              [snip]
                              > And Jenka could not have been changed from a geisterdame by Bill or
                              > Barry: Kaja has stated point-blank that no Heterodyne has ever
                              > deliberately created a jagerfemme.

                              Hmm ... Jenka? Could she have been the "one of us"? She could have
                              started out as a geisterdame and been turned into a jaegerfemme (if
                              she is one) either inadvertently or by her own volition.

                              Either that or Lucrezia herself was the "one of us" after
                              being "rescued" by Bill.

                              Just two of the usual suspects for speculation, of course. But I'd
                              expect that the Foglio's would want to keep the number of principal
                              characters down to a reasonable number.
                            • Adam Canning
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006

                                To: girlgenius@yahoogroups.com
                                From: therianthropologist_dave <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date sent: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:50:18 -0000
                                Subject: [Girl Genius] Re: "It was one of us".
                                Send reply to: girlgenius@yahoogroups.com

                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings1@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > [snip]
                                > > And Jenka could not have been changed from a geisterdame by Bill or
                                > > Barry: Kaja has stated point-blank that no Heterodyne has ever
                                > > deliberately created a jagerfemme.
                                > >
                                > Hmm ... Jenka? Could she have been the "one of us"? She could have
                                > started out as a geisterdame and been turned into a jaegerfemme (if
                                > she is one) either inadvertently or by her own volition.
                                >
                                > Either that or Lucrezia herself was the "one of us" after
                                > being "rescued" by Bill.

                                OR the Scary killer construct who shows signs of being ex mongfish,
                                having had work done to her eyes and being interested in Agatha for
                                being Lucrezia's Daughter.

                                I speak of course of Von Pinn.

                                That lays greater emphasis on Klaus's warning to Jurgen.

                                --
                                Adam Canning
                                Flat 2, 2 Carey Street,
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 1, 2006
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...> wrote:

                                  > Vere hi liffz, ve hef en embarassment off reechez. Zer borderz, zer Barnes
                                  > und Freund, Unkle Hugoz, und Dreamhaffen.
                                  > Von vonderz how to schpend vonz Marks eekvally.
                                  > Ah, und der Rat Patrol ist out on DVD. Talk aboot Hetz!
                                  > Thomas in Reminiscing land

                                  Ah! I have heard much about those bookstores on the Lois-Bujold mailing list.
                                  Although my current home has no genre bookstores, we do have a HUGE used bookstore
                                  called Tin Can Mailman and two independent booksellers, all within about 2 blocks of each
                                  other -- for a rural college town of less than 17,000. (There's also a campus bookstore.)

                                  --Kathryn
                                • Thomas Erickson
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                                    Ah. I used to live in a Rural College town. Then St Paul got pretensions, &
                                    I had to move to the OtherUrbs.
                                    Thomas in the Other Bloomington (Now with one fewer Krispy Kreem!)

                                    On 2/1/06, chembiogrrl <khedges1@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Vere hi liffz, ve hef en embarassment off reechez. Zer borderz, zer
                                    > Barnes
                                    > > und Freund, Unkle Hugoz, und Dreamhaffen.
                                    > > Von vonderz how to schpend vonz Marks eekvally.
                                    > > Ah, und der Rat Patrol ist out on DVD. Talk aboot Hetz!
                                    > > Thomas in Reminiscing land
                                    >
                                    > Ah! I have heard much about those bookstores on the Lois-Bujold mailing
                                    > list.
                                    > Although my current home has no genre bookstores, we do have a HUGE used
                                    > bookstore
                                    > called Tin Can Mailman and two independent booksellers, all within about 2
                                    > blocks of each
                                    > other -- for a rural college town of less than 17,000. (There's also a
                                    > campus bookstore.)
                                    >
                                    > --Kathryn
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Mickie Erickson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                                      He's lying. He had to move to the OtherUrbs because his wife wanted a yard
                                      that was bigger than a postage stamp. He likes St. Paul just fine.

                                      Mickie (who's going back to lurking now)

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                                        Beh! Hy- Urg- Nurtz!
                                        Ve must obey.
                                        Thomas zer goot liddle Jaeger

                                        On 2/2/06, Mickie Erickson <mickie.erickson@...> wrote:

                                        > He's lying. He had to move to the OtherUrbs because his wife wanted a
                                        > yard
                                        > that was bigger than a postage stamp. He likes St. Paul just fine.
                                        >
                                        > Mickie (who's going back to lurking now)
                                        >

                                        > On 2/2/06, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Ah. I used to live in a Rural College town. Then St Paul got
                                        > pretensions,
                                        > > &
                                        > > I had to move to the OtherUrbs.
                                        > > Thomas in the Other Bloomington (Now with one fewer Krispy Kreem!)

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • cdrvimes
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                                          wrote:

                                          > Ah. I used to live in a Rural College town. Then St Paul got
                                          pretensions, &
                                          > I had to move to the OtherUrbs.
                                          > Thomas in the Other Bloomington (Now with one fewer Krispy Kreem!)

                                          St Paul rural??
                                          It must be frame of reference, but when my parents wanted to go to the
                                          city they went to Albert Lea. St Paul was a big city.
                                        • Thomas Erickson
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 2, 2006
                                            Well, it wanted to be a smal town...
                                            Thomas the oft corrected

                                            On 2/2/06, cdrvimes <cdrvimes@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Ah. I used to live in a Rural College town. Then St Paul got
                                            > pretensions, &
                                            > > I had to move to the OtherUrbs.
                                            > > Thomas in the Other Bloomington (Now with one fewer Krispy Kreem!)
                                            > >
                                            > St Paul rural??
                                            > It must be frame of reference, but when my parents wanted to go to the
                                            > city they went to Albert Lea. St Paul was a big city.
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • aquillion
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 25, 2006
                                              <festusdirk@...> wrote:

                                              > > As to Othar, we've no indication yet that there are any males in the
                                              > > group. Literally translated, "geisterdamen" is "spirit ladies" or
                                              > > "spirit women" I suppose that Othar could be a "geisterherren."
                                              >
                                              > close: Geisterherren is the plural, Othar so far would just be one
                                              > Geisterherr.

                                              Problem: Othar is a spark. I don't think we have any indication that
                                              people can construct sparks (if they could, the Baron wouldn't have to
                                              search for them so eagerly.) Plus, Gil seems to know him from college.
                                            • David Goldfarb
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 25, 2006
                                                From: "aquillion" <Frogwind@...>
                                                >Problem: Othar is a spark. I don't think we have any indication that
                                                >people can construct sparks (if they could, the Baron wouldn't have to
                                                >search for them so eagerly.)

                                                There is *one* indication: the Baron himself. He's a construct, and
                                                he is also a spark.

                                                (I can remember people wondering on this list if the Baron really *was*
                                                a spark. The last couple of days should put paid to that idea.)

                                                That doesn't mean you can make the spark from nothing, though. I have
                                                it on good authority that you need sparky raw material. A good thing,
                                                too: imagine being able to construct loyal minions to order...with
                                                the spark! Someone who could do that really could rule the world.

                                                --
                                                David Goldfarb |"Why must you take everything good and true and
                                                goldfarb@... | honest and wholesome and turn it into a vague
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 25, 2006
                                                  --- David Goldfarb <goldfarb@...> wrote:

                                                  > From: "aquillion" <Frogwind@...>
                                                  >> Problem: Othar is a spark. I don't think we have any indication
                                                  >> that people can construct sparks (if they could, the Baron wouldn't
                                                  >> have to search for them so eagerly.)
                                                  >
                                                  > There is *one* indication: the Baron himself. He's a construct,
                                                  > and he is also a spark.

                                                  But as has been pointed out, he's a REconstruct, not built from
                                                  scratch; repaired, not assembled. He was invested with the Spark from
                                                  birth, not had it added on by a Sparky creator.

                                                  (Unless we wanna get into some theology here, that is.)

                                                  Corgi
                                                • David Goldfarb
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 25, 2006
                                                    From: "Corgi" <corgi@...>
                                                    >--- David Goldfarb <goldfarb@...> wrote:
                                                    >>
                                                    >> From: "aquillion" <Frogwind@...>
                                                    >>> Problem: Othar is a spark. I don't think we have any indication
                                                    >>> that people can construct sparks (if they could, the Baron wouldn't
                                                    >>> have to search for them so eagerly.)
                                                    >>
                                                    >> There is *one* indication: the Baron himself. He's a construct,
                                                    >> and he is also a spark.
                                                    >
                                                    >But as has been pointed out, he's a REconstruct, not built from
                                                    >scratch; repaired, not assembled. He was invested with the Spark from
                                                    >birth, not had it added on by a Sparky creator.

                                                    Do we really know enough for sure about his past to say that?

                                                    --
                                                    David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
                                                    goldfarb@... |
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 26, 2006
                                                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarb@...> wrote:
                                                      > That doesn't mean you can make the spark from nothing, though. I
                                                      have it on good authority that you need sparky raw material. A good
                                                      > thing,too: imagine being able to construct loyal minions to
                                                      order...with
                                                      > the spark! Someone who could do that really could rule the world.
                                                      > David Goldfarb

                                                      Rule the world? HAH! You would find yourself hard pressed to rule your
                                                      own household.
                                                      Sue
                                                    • Corgi
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 26, 2006
                                                        --- David Goldfarb <goldfarb@...> wrote:

                                                        > From: "Corgi" <corgi@...>
                                                        >
                                                        >> But as has been pointed out, [the Baron]'s a REconstruct, not built
                                                        >> from scratch; repaired, not assembled. He was invested with the
                                                        >> Spark from birth, not had it added on by a Sparky creator.
                                                        >
                                                        > Do we really know enough for sure about his past to say that?

                                                        http://www.studiofoglio.com/girlgenius/secretblueprints/vol001/09.html

                                                        'Klaus’ parents were both Gifted scientists who ran their small
                                                        holdings well, used their talents for the good of their people and for
                                                        the most part kept out of the politics so common amongst the Gifted.
                                                        This couple is said to have had three sons, all Sparks of varying
                                                        degrees who worked in the lab alongside their parents. Klaus is the
                                                        only one that anyone has seen in years. Rumors abound as to the fate
                                                        of the other two, but there is no one who knows for sure.

                                                        'Klaus is one of the most powerful of the Gifted in known history....'

                                                        It's not absolute, considering the twisty and inventive source, but it
                                                        seems firm enough ground to me.

                                                        Corgi