[Girl Genius] Re: Possible Spoilers

  • Karrion
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "berwick_tweed"
      <berwick_tweed@y...> wrote:

      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, John Reiher <kedamono@a...> wrote:

      > > > And the distinctive accent of the jaegerkin.
      > >
      > > She got that accent from learning to speak, whatever the language is
      > > that they are speaking, from the Boyz.
      > >
      > And the distinctive talons as well which the Geisterdamen don't have?
      >
      > Also she seems stronger the the Geisterdamen, after all Lady Vrin was
      > subdued by two men - can't see that happening with a Jager.
      >
      > Also - another spoiler alert - per the podcasts - Jenka's a jager.

      Let's not forget that the Cast Page lists her as: "Jenka is one of a
      group of "wild" Jagermonsters who travel the wastelands"
      Pretty much says it all.
    • Karrion
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "wusemajor" <Wuse_Major@h...> wrote:
        > Hmmmmmm.....
        >
        > Steal children, control minds, cause blights (possibly), live outside
        > normal space and time, fairly attractive with odd features......
        >
        > How did Lucrezia manage to take over a fairy mound, I wonder?

        Huh. Wonder how they react to cold iron.
      • Blade
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, John Reiher <kedamono@a...> wrote:
          > Maybe Barry or Bill slipped her a mickey... OK, a shot of Jaegerbrau
          > is more than a mickey, more like a Donald Duck...

          ROTFLMFAO! As long as as you're not calling it a Goofy ...

          > What better way to change her loyalties?

          Hokay, we now have some possible reasons for the defection of a
          Geisterdame:

          1. She came to her senses; she saw the validity of opposing her
          Mistress (a possible first Jenka Theory)
          2. She was slipped a Donald of Jägerbrau and "taken over" (the other
          Jenka Theory)
          3. She fell in love with someone on the other side (the Gil's Mum Theory)
          4. She was injured and reconstructed -- with or without intentional
          loyalty alteration? (The Von Pinn Theory -- may relate to #1.)

          What other possibilities are there ...? Let's see now ... Maybe she
          was always and still is a loyal, non-defected Geisterdame? Towhit:

          5. She thought she was doing the right thing for her Mistress at the
          time, but either it turned out differently than she expected, or she
          repented of it at leisure.
          6. Whatever happened was an accident. Hoo-boy, ve knowz how a leetle
          exzident ken heppen, hey boyz und gorlz?
          7. Something unforeseen happened, and the gate plus papers were
          collateral damage to salvaging what she could, and making the best of
          a bad situation.

          What other possibilities have I missed?

          Any of these last three, and I could see it perhaps being Vrin.

          The idea that Jenka might have once been a Geisterdame is ...
          intriguing. It might even work, if she's a Jägerised Geisterdame --
          which woulmight explain Jenka's face-wrap and her affinity for riding
          on/bonding with an animal <waves at Füst>. Perhaps de Boyz have
          direct experience with Geisterdamen after all ...?

          Blade @;7
        • Blade
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "wusemajor" <Wuse_Major@h...> wrote:
            > Steal children, control minds, cause blights (possibly), live outside
            > normal space and time, fairly attractive with odd features......
            >
            > How did Lucrezia manage to take over a fairy mound, I wonder?

            Ooh, brilliant catch! I wonder ....

            Blade @8,
          • Blade
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, I wrote, too soon:
              > What other possibilities have I missed?

              Aaand, #8, the "It's Othar!" Theory. Proving once again that I really
              should read all extant posts before commenting. D'oh.

              Blade @8/
            • Alice Bentley
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                Blade speculated:
                >Hokay, we now have some possible reasons for the defection of a
                >Geisterdame:
                >... [lots of interesting options]
                >What other possibilities have I missed?

                Gender is not specified, and
                Only allegiance, not 'race' is mentioned - if there's a big group I
                could see there being more than Geisterdamen involved.

                And on a different note: Top Web Comics resets their voting thingie
                every month, so nows our chance to scurry up the list for a few days
                (until the Usual Suspects have enough days to overwhelm us again). Go
                vote!

                Yes, I know this isn't really important, but there's always a chance
                someone new will start reading when they see that colorful picture on
                the list.

                Alice
              • jbwoodford
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                  <berwick_tweed@y...> wrote:

                  > Also she seems stronger the the Geisterdamen, after all Lady Vrin was
                  > subdued by two men - can't see that happening with a Jager.

                  Without disagreeing with your main point (i.e., Jenka's really a
                  Jäger), they may not be normal men. I suspect that Anevka (or more
                  likely Tarvek) punched up the strength on Anevka's urnbearers. They
                  might also be constructs--we see three of them with different hair
                  color, but their faces look pretty similar. Whatever they are, at
                  least one is completely unaffected by Agatha's command voice.

                  JBWoodford
                • Joshua Kronengold
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                    jbwoodford writes:
                    >color, but their faces look pretty similar. Whatever they are, at
                    >least one is completely unaffected by Agatha's command voice.
                    --text follows this line--
                    We've been given hard evidence (ie, Vrin saying so) that the command
                    voice is a Lucrecia/Other/Monkfish thing, not a thing that works on
                    anyone or anything.

                    --
                    Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                    --^-- "Remember the Doom Team code!" says Tom. /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Alice Bentley <alice@s...> wrote:
                      > Yes, I know this isn't really important, but there's always a chance
                      > someone new will start reading when they see that colorful picture on
                      > the list.

                      Definitely! There are a few comics I've started reading for that very
                      reason! And I didn't even know about TopWebComics until it was
                      mentioned here!

                      Blade @8D
                    • jbwoodford
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@i...> wrote:

                        > jbwoodford writes:
                        > >color, but their faces look pretty similar. Whatever they are, at
                        > >least one is completely unaffected by Agatha's command voice.
                        > --text follows this line--
                        > We've been given hard evidence (ie, Vrin saying so) that the command
                        > voice is a Lucrecia/Other/Monkfish thing, not a thing that works on
                        > anyone or anything.

                        True. But (excepting Aaronev & Tarvek) *everyone* in the theater
                        audience--including the usher--knelt when Agatha ordered it. It's
                        likely they're all revenants, which means Anevka deliberately chose
                        (or designed) personal retainers that weren't. (Which makes sense, if
                        Vrin can also command revenants.)
                      • Thomas Erickson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                          On 2/1/06, John Reiher <kedamono@...> wrote:

                          > .
                          >
                          > Maybe Barry or Bill slipped her a mickey... OK, a shot of Jaegerbrau
                          > is more than a mickey, more like a Donald Duck...
                          >
                          > What better way to change her loyalties?
                          >
                          > --

                          Apologizing Aforethought:

                          From "Zer zoundz ouf Moozik"
                          "Jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                          Ich bin happy zu trink zu,
                          jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                          Change mein Zhenetikz foreffer...
                          Make mein canines loom und grow,
                          Loom und grow a whole~bunch..
                          Jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                          Novun iz happy to zee~me."
                          and,
                          "How do ve solff a problem like A-ga-ta,"
                          Zat vun ve leaf like zat.
                          Thomas putting down the Armored Steam Accordion now.

                        • Adam Canning
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                            On 1 Feb 2006 at 6:50, wusemajor wrote:

                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "honor_mcleod" <tlroys@h...> wrote:
                            > > On a completely different note, I remember way back in issue 13 when
                            > > Lars told Agatha about the spider riders. "Farmers say they cause
                            > > revenants, steal children, blight crops-the usual." Well, so far,
                            > > they cause revenants and steal children. I wonder what an official
                            > > Geisterdamen Crop Blight looks like?
                            > >
                            > > Mcleod
                            > >

                            > Hmmmmmm.....
                            >
                            > Steal children, control minds, cause blights (possibly), live outside
                            > normal space and time, fairly attractive with odd features......
                            >
                            > How did Lucrezia manage to take over a fairy mound, I wonder?

                            Music, Fire and Steel are the traditional implements for anti Fey
                            work.

                            She's not short of those especially considering the music-spark
                            links.

                            ---
                            Adam Canning
                            "It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of
                            this has done
                            what he has done"
                            - Cardinal Armand-Jean du Plessis de Richelieu
                          • Corgi
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 1, 2006
                              --- "berwick_tweed" <berwick_tweed@...> wrote:

                              > <snip stuff> Could there be an equivalent
                              > to jagerbrau that turns an ordinary girl into a geisterdamen?

                              [flinch] OK. Pending our German or Kaja showing up to advise more
                              precisely -- 'Geisterdamen' is plural. 'Geisterdame' is singular, or
                              at least the singular we've been using. 'A geisterdamen' is the
                              equivalent of saying 'a women'.

                              Corgi the Anglically Apologetically OCD
                            • George
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 2, 2006
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...>
                                wrote:
                                > Apologizing Aforethought:
                                >
                                > From "Zer zoundz ouf Moozik"
                                > "Jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                                > Ich bin happy zu trink zu,
                                > jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                                > Change mein Zhenetikz foreffer...
                                > Make mein canines loom und grow,
                                > Loom und grow a whole~bunch..
                                > Jaegerbrau, jaegerbrau,
                                > Novun iz happy to zee~me."

                                That tune changed for me forever after hearing what America's Favorite
                                Dragapella Beautyshop Quartet - the Kinsey Sicks - did with it.

                                George
                              • aquillion
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 25, 2006
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, John Reiher <kedamono@a...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > Maybe Barry or Bill slipped her a mickey... OK, a shot of
                                  Jaegerbrau
                                  > > is more than a mickey, more like a Donald Duck...
                                  >
                                  > ROTFLMFAO! As long as as you're not calling it a Goofy ...
                                  >
                                  > > What better way to change her loyalties?
                                  >
                                  > Hokay, we now have some possible reasons for the defection of a
                                  > Geisterdame:
                                  >
                                  > 1. She came to her senses; she saw the validity of opposing her
                                  > Mistress (a possible first Jenka Theory)
                                  > 2. She was slipped a Donald of Jägerbrau and "taken over" (the
                                  other
                                  > Jenka Theory)
                                  > 3. She fell in love with someone on the other side (the Gil's Mum
                                  Theory)
                                  > 4. She was injured and reconstructed -- with or without intentional
                                  > loyalty alteration? (The Von Pinn Theory -- may relate to #1.)
                                  >
                                  > What other possibilities are there ...? Let's see now ... Maybe
                                  she
                                  > was always and still is a loyal, non-defected Geisterdame? Towhit:
                                  >
                                  > 5. She thought she was doing the right thing for her Mistress at
                                  the
                                  > time, but either it turned out differently than she expected, or she
                                  > repented of it at leisure.
                                  > 6. Whatever happened was an accident. Hoo-boy, ve knowz how a
                                  leetle
                                  > exzident ken heppen, hey boyz und gorlz?
                                  > 7. Something unforeseen happened, and the gate plus papers were
                                  > collateral damage to salvaging what she could, and making the best
                                  of
                                  > a bad situation.
                                  >
                                  > What other possibilities have I missed?
                                  >
                                  > Any of these last three, and I could see it perhaps being Vrin.
                                  >
                                  > The idea that Jenka might have once been a Geisterdame is ...
                                  > intriguing. It might even work, if she's a Jägerised Geisterdame --
                                  > which woulmight explain Jenka's face-wrap and her affinity for
                                  riding
                                  > on/bonding with an animal <waves at Füst>. Perhaps de Boyz have
                                  > direct experience with Geisterdamen after all ...?
                                  >
                                  > Blade @;7

                                  There was one I posted a while back: If it was Von Pinn (assuming
                                  she IS a former Geisterdamen etc etc), she might have balked at a
                                  plan that effectively involved killing a child (in this case, Agatha.)