Thought Experiment Number 1.

  • csg3125
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2002
      Thought Experiment Number 1.

      Build an O'Nell Habitat, with a covered narrow lake or wide river
      at it equator, the exact shape and size of the habitat is left to the
      experimenter. The center of gravity and mass must balance through the
      body of water. Before you spin up the habitat, install heating
      elements and water jets in the lake. Position the water jets to point
      clockwise around the equator. Start the water jets and run until the
      river is flowing clockwise and the habitat is spinning counter
      clockwise. When the spin induced "gravity" reaches 1/2 gee, stop the
      water jets. Open the cover over the lake/river, (which by now will be
      flowing like a mill race from hell). Start the heaters, bring the
      river to a boil and boil it away. You may want to install condensers
      and heat exchangers to save a little time and energy. (Extra points
      for a creative solution.) When the river has boiled completely away
      answer the following questions.

      1) Will the habitat continue to spin at the same rate? (1/2 gee is
      your test here.)

      2) What happened to the rotational energy of the water?

      3) Will answers 1 and 2 change if you hold the re-condensed water
      at the habitat poles?

      4) Can you improve on this experiment?

      5) How would you use this to Take Over The World, and Show Them
      All?

      Curtis PMFS
    • Bill Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., csg3125 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Thought Experiment Number 1.
        >
        > Build an O'Nell Habitat, with a covered narrow lake or wide
        river
        > at it equator, the exact shape and size of the habitat is left to
        the
        > experimenter. The center of gravity and mass must balance through
        the
        > body of water. Before you spin up the habitat, install heating
        > elements and water jets in the lake. Position the water jets to
        point
        > clockwise around the equator. Start the water jets and run until
        the
        > river is flowing clockwise and the habitat is spinning counter
        > clockwise. When the spin induced "gravity" reaches 1/2 gee, stop
        the
        > water jets. Open the cover over the lake/river, (which by now will
        be
        > flowing like a mill race from hell). Start the heaters, bring the
        > river to a boil and boil it away. You may want to install
        condensers
        > and heat exchangers to save a little time and energy. (Extra points
        > for a creative solution.) When the river has boiled completely
        away
        > answer the following questions.
        >
        > 1) Will the habitat continue to spin at the same rate? (1/2 gee
        is
        > your test here.)
        >
        > 2) What happened to the rotational energy of the water?
        >
        > 3) Will answers 1 and 2 change if you hold the re-condensed
        water
        > at the habitat poles?
        >
        > 4) Can you improve on this experiment?
        >
        > 5) How would you use this to Take Over The World, and Show Them
        > All?
        >
        > Curtis PMFS

        ARGH! How did you find the plans to my steam-powered, Trojan orbit,
        death beam (AKA Steam Amplification by Stimulated Emmission of
        Radiation)? Now I'll have to ANOTHER another idea for a thesis
        project.
      • dreadpiratelupin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
          If you build the habitat based upon the principles taught in our
          most basic of physics classes, in which all thought experiments
          take place in the same cnditions, namely : Utilizing both a
          frictionless plane and perfect vacuum atmosphere, then you
          should have no trouble both getting your habitat to spin forever in
          the 1/2 or more G rate, but easily taking over the world.

          The rotation energy of the water is transferred to the earth around
          it, starting the harmonal process and sympathetic vibrations
          which can transfer to the earth, and therefore to the rotation
          therein. The water spin, based upon our previously established
          frictionless plane and vacuum conditions, will be transferred as
          the water is evaporated, in a prefect temperature arc increase
          that increases pressure (having a perfect vacuum, and with
          pressure/temperature/air supply ratios...)

          This will increase the harmonal "tuning fork" effect on the earth,
          furthering our end goal.

          The steam will alert the natins of the world to the device once it
          has fully gone into motion, and they will be incformed via the
          normal methods (apprentice) of our plans to slow and eventually
          stop the rotation of the earth unless...

          ..(insert normal world conquest speech here.)

          Yes?

          -Roland Goldberg:
          Master of Probability Science using as many steps as possible.