Re: [Girl Genius] Food Experiment #1: T'Bites Empanadas

  • Susan Fox-Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      sea_moose wrote:

      > --- In girlgenius@y..., Susan Fox-Davis <selene@e...> wrote:
      > > As to Jeff's issue of New World food items: the New World was
      > found but
      > > lost again, as I understand it. I would hate to think that Agatha
      > was
      > > going through all this completely without chocolate or coffee.
      >
      > I knew that that statement would draw you out <G>.

      :-p'''''' Pbbbbt! You may not see or hear me but I'm always here.

      Coffee came from Ethiopia where, it is said, a herdsman observed his
      goats frolicking particularly energetically after eating the berries of
      a certain hill plant. Coffee makes mornings possible, but chocolate
      makes them worthwhile [she said, sipping on a cup of hot chocolate mix
      dissolved with strong coffee]. Chocolate hasn't actually got much
      caffeine in it, one average bar possessing about as much of the key
      chemical as a cup of =decaf= cafe. Of course, there's tea for the Far
      East's caffeine fix as well, but coffee gives the most bang for the
      biochemical buck.

      Kedemono wrote:

      >Nay Sea Moose, it is chocolate that's
      >American. Mayan in origin and potent. So, perhaps the female
      >contingent of Mad Scientists International will have private stocks
      >and greenhouses crawling with the plants... plants that get their
      >nutrition from protein... Bwahahahahaha

      Feed me, Seymour! Feed me all night long!
      Here's a good picture and quick agricultural precis of the chocolate
      plant. Essays due on Friday.

      Dame Selene Colfox
    • m_randalt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "John H. Reiher Jr." <kedamono@a...> wrote:
        > <snippety snip> They are so perfect that I named them after myself,
        >
        > For I am Mentos, the Freshmaker!
        > --

        Groan!

        What of tobacco? That's something that would cause people to seek a
        way back to the Americas, surely?

        Bob Newhart in his classic sketch "The introduction of Tobacco to
        Civilization," wherein a telephone call from Sir Walter Raleigh
        prompts skeptical laughter in England:
        "Are you saying 'snuff,' Walt? What's snuff? You take a pinch of
        tobacco (starts giggling) and you shove it up your nose! And it makes
        you sneeze, huh. I imagine it would, Walt, yeah. Goldenrod seems to
        do it pretty well over here. It has some other uses, though. You can
        chew it? Or put it in a pipe. Or you can shred it up and put it on a
        piece of paper, and roll it up - don't tell me, Walt, don't tell me-
        you stick in your ear, right Walt? Oh, between your lips! Then what
        do you do to it? (Giggling) You set fire to it! Then what do you do,
        Walt? You inhale the smoke! Walt, we've been a little worried about
        you... you're gonna have a tough time getting people to stick burning
        leaves in their mouth...."

        Oh, I love that. Some tobacco cultivation history:
        http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/archives/exhibits/tobacco/thistory.html
        And I am allergic to smoke, anyway...

        -Randalt
      • m_randalt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
          > Some tobacco cultivation history:
          > http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/archives/exhibits/tobacco/thistory.html
          > And I am allergic to smoke, anyway...
          >
          > -Randalt

          then I read further down that link page and saw that like many other
          crops, tobacco farming is not peculiar to the Americas. Look before
          you leap!

          -Randalt