Re: [Girl Genius] Food Experiment #1: T'Bites Empanadas

  • John H. Reiher Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2002
      At 5:37 AM +0000 10/1/02, sea_moose wrote:

      >I knew that that statement would draw you out <G>. Personally, I
      >agree with you. Since the contact was lost recently, and we know
      >that at least steam engines existed, there had been enough time for
      >the New World foods to travel and become known. And even if the
      >original source was no longer available, can you imagine a caffiene
      >addict Spark NOT figuring out how to splice their own?

      Coffee is African in origin. Nay Sea Moose, it is chocolate that's
      American. Mayan in origin and potent. So, perhaps the female
      contingent of Mad Scientists International will have private stocks
      and greenhouses crawling with the plants... plants that get their
      nutrition from protein... Bwahahahahaha

      Mad they said when I spliced vanilla with nutmeg creating Nutilla!

      Mad they said when I used hydrogen to make the perfect souffle! OK,
      it did catch fire, but what a crust! And it was light as a feather!

      Mad they said you can't use that one species of mushroom... Well,
      that time they were right, but luckily, I survived that dinner party!

      But now they will quake at the mere mention of my name! I have
      created a mint that not only freshens your breath, but makes others
      oblivious to your most evil plans! My field tests showed that young
      people could even steal property from other and all they do is shake
      their heads in a good natured way! They are so perfect that I named
      them after myself,

      For I am Mentos, the Freshmaker!
      --
      ------------------------
      Kedamono@...

      http://www.ahtg.net
      ------------------------
      "Another one of them new worlds.
      No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
      Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
      tin cans."
      ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
      Forbidden Planet
    • Susan Fox-Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        sea_moose wrote:

        > --- In girlgenius@y..., Susan Fox-Davis <selene@e...> wrote:
        > > As to Jeff's issue of New World food items: the New World was
        > found but
        > > lost again, as I understand it. I would hate to think that Agatha
        > was
        > > going through all this completely without chocolate or coffee.
        >
        > I knew that that statement would draw you out <G>.

        :-p'''''' Pbbbbt! You may not see or hear me but I'm always here.

        Coffee came from Ethiopia where, it is said, a herdsman observed his
        goats frolicking particularly energetically after eating the berries of
        a certain hill plant. Coffee makes mornings possible, but chocolate
        makes them worthwhile [she said, sipping on a cup of hot chocolate mix
        dissolved with strong coffee]. Chocolate hasn't actually got much
        caffeine in it, one average bar possessing about as much of the key
        chemical as a cup of =decaf= cafe. Of course, there's tea for the Far
        East's caffeine fix as well, but coffee gives the most bang for the
        biochemical buck.

        Kedemono wrote:

        >Nay Sea Moose, it is chocolate that's
        >American. Mayan in origin and potent. So, perhaps the female
        >contingent of Mad Scientists International will have private stocks
        >and greenhouses crawling with the plants... plants that get their
        >nutrition from protein... Bwahahahahaha

        Feed me, Seymour! Feed me all night long!
        Here's a good picture and quick agricultural precis of the chocolate
        plant. Essays due on Friday.

        Dame Selene Colfox
      • m_randalt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- In girlgenius@y..., "John H. Reiher Jr." <kedamono@a...> wrote:
          > <snippety snip> They are so perfect that I named them after myself,
          >
          > For I am Mentos, the Freshmaker!
          > --

          Groan!

          What of tobacco? That's something that would cause people to seek a
          way back to the Americas, surely?

          Bob Newhart in his classic sketch "The introduction of Tobacco to
          Civilization," wherein a telephone call from Sir Walter Raleigh
          prompts skeptical laughter in England:
          "Are you saying 'snuff,' Walt? What's snuff? You take a pinch of
          tobacco (starts giggling) and you shove it up your nose! And it makes
          you sneeze, huh. I imagine it would, Walt, yeah. Goldenrod seems to
          do it pretty well over here. It has some other uses, though. You can
          chew it? Or put it in a pipe. Or you can shred it up and put it on a
          piece of paper, and roll it up - don't tell me, Walt, don't tell me-
          you stick in your ear, right Walt? Oh, between your lips! Then what
          do you do to it? (Giggling) You set fire to it! Then what do you do,
          Walt? You inhale the smoke! Walt, we've been a little worried about
          you... you're gonna have a tough time getting people to stick burning
          leaves in their mouth...."

          Oh, I love that. Some tobacco cultivation history:
          http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/archives/exhibits/tobacco/thistory.html
          And I am allergic to smoke, anyway...

          -Randalt
        • m_randalt
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
            --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
            > Some tobacco cultivation history:
            > http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/archives/exhibits/tobacco/thistory.html
            > And I am allergic to smoke, anyway...
            >
            > -Randalt

            then I read further down that link page and saw that like many other
            crops, tobacco farming is not peculiar to the Americas. Look before
            you leap!

            -Randalt