Re: Wings and sigils

  • Karrion
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:

      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "wusemajor" <Wuse_Major@h...> wrote:
      > > I rather liked the idea I heard once that the wings signify having an
      > > airship fleet.
      >
      > I like it too -- but we have yet to see any sign of House
      > Swordsprocket having an airfleet. Doesn't mean they don't, mind, but
      > I'd feel happier with that interpretation now, if we could just see
      > one dirigible with that sigil ...
      >
      > Blade

      Hereldry(sp?) symbols are not always obvious in meaning. It's hard to
      say what Phil and Kaja have written down in their GG world notes on
      it. We assume it means an airfleet or connection to Wulfenbach because
      his sigil changed when he came back and built the flying fortress to
      replace his own lost castle. It COULD mean that the house fought in
      and survived the 'Other War'. Proudly proclaiming "We fought The Other
      and we are STILL HERE." This would explain Agatha's use of the wings
      later and House Swordspocket's. Another house symbol bearing te wings
      would support this. Guess I'll have to wait.
    • Damien Sullivan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 01:45:02AM -0000, chembiogrrl wrote:

        > > > They don't look much like the wings on the flying tower or flying
        > > > trilobite symbols to me. Their stylized wings, that's about it.

        I'd missed Aaronev bearing wings. That's very interesting.

        But as far as I can tell, Aaronev himself is the only Swordsprocket with a
        winged sigil. Tarvek and the architecture are wingless. By contrast, I think
        all Wulfenbach sigils are winged towers these days (vs. the old plain tower),
        except for Gil wearing nothing (or a simple Celtic knot, but it might not mean
        anything) and bat-winged towers for the Jaegers (along with their own fanged
        skulls.)

        Seems simplest to assume Klaus's wings mean "Castle Wulfenbach is fallen, Long
        Fly Castle Wulfenbach". This doesn't preclude other people using wings for
        their own purposes -- "I'm a ruler" or "I secretly follow Lucrezia" for
        Aaronev, "I tell my constructs that I'm a goddess" for Lucrezia.

        > Also, I just looked up the winged trilobite Agatha wore in A.H. and the
        > Electric Coffin, which seems to have bird wings. Is there another reference
        > with bat wings on the trilobite?

        Agatha would wear bird wings, it's be Jaegers with the bats.

        Don't know that I've ever seen a bat-trilobite, though.

        -xx- Damien X-)
      • jbwoodford
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Damien Sullivan <phoenix@U...> wrote:

          > Don't know that I've ever seen a bat-trilobite, though.

          That's what Adam West & Burt Ward use to disguise themselves as
          Heterodyne sympathizers, isn't it?

          JBWoodford
        • Blade
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, jbwoodford <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Damien Sullivan <phoenix@U...>
            wrote:

            > > Don't know that I've ever seen a bat-trilobite, though.
            >
            > That's what Adam West & Burt Ward use to disguise themselves as
            > Heterodyne sympathizers, isn't it?

            LOL! Fossils, perhaps; trilobites, not so much ....

            Blade @;7