Cut-outs

  • gaertk
    Message 1 of 774 , Oct 1, 2001
      Got a few questions about the
      cut-outs...<br><br>The figurines: how do you assemble them? I've seen
      similar things in the past, but there you make a half
      slit in each part, that slide them together in a X
      shape. But these look like you're supposed to fold the
      smaller part twice on the lines, but I can't decide which
      way. And what works best for attaching them? Glue,
      tape, staple, paperclip, other?<br><br>Dirigibles:
      cutting them out isn't a problem, and I figure paperclips
      would work well for hanging them, but how the heck do
      you race them?<br><br>Any ideas how to get the
      mimmoths to stand up?<br><br>And finally, do the Foglios
      want to comment on what cut-outs we can expect in the
      future? Castle Wulfenbach would be really cool (probably
      take 3-4 issues), and I've been thinking of using the
      action figures for chess (mimmoths as pawns, of
      course).<br><br>--KG
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.