Re: Gil's possible origins

  • tomreedtoon
    Message 1 of 774 , Sep 28, 2001
      <I was reviewing the Secret Blueprints, and
      found this interesting tidbit: Klaus had 2 brothers,
      both of whom were sparks, and neither of whom has been
      heard from in years. I hypothesize that Gil may well be
      a construct from one of these brothers, and that
      Klaus's testing of him is to prove that the spark can be
      generated in a construct. This would make Klaus quite the
      bad guy, but we've already been told that by Phil &
      Kaja in the Button Men game.><br><br>I don't see
      Klaus Wulvenbach doing anything "evil," in the sense of
      Doctor Doom or The Joker. (If you want a practical
      reason, from what I've read of the Foglio's works, they
      don't write like conventional comic book
      authors.)<br><br>However, if one of Klaus's brothers died...he might have
      taken pity and try to revive him. Which would explain
      his anger at Gil's apparent failures - they are
      really Klaus kicking himself for not performing a proper
      resurrection. This might be reading more sophistication into
      "Girl Genius" than most people think of, but the
      Foglios might just think this way...
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.