[Girl Genius] Re: Potential rescuers...

  • laughtermaiden
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2005
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Burns <saski@w...> wrote:

      > On Thursday 01 December 2005 16:42, George wrote:
      > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "cdrvimes" <cdrvimes@y...> wrote:
      > > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Willett" <aew22@c...>

      > > > Hear! Hear! I'm glad that somebody thinks that fealty, obedience,
      > > > and allegiance can be voluntary istead of imposed.
      > >
      > > Frankly, I think that's what Agatha herself would prefer.
      >
      > [Snipping things I totally agree with.]

      Me too.

      > For my part, I'd like to see more of people, whether nice or nasty,
      > resisting some of these allegiance mechanisms by dint of
      > intelligence and self-control.
      >
      > I like the business of one's sparky creations being in a sense
      > one's familiars, knowing their creators' minds and responding
      > to their whims. Zoing, and the Dingbots for example, seem to
      > borrow their personailties from their creators.

      One thing I liked about that, was Gil refers to Zoing as his friend,
      and even assures zoing he won't lose his job making tea or have to be
      afraid of Agatha's goldfish. That says a lot about Gil, and the
      potential nature of certain construct/creator relations.

      *snip*
    • Jonathan Burns
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 5, 2005
        On Tuesday 06 December 2005 03:52, Elizabeth McCoy wrote:

        > At 1:37 PM +1100 12/3/05, Jonathan Burns wrote:

        > >Mmmmaybe. From what I understand of slaver wasps, they suppress the
        > >will to resist alright, but they suppress all the personality along with
        > > it. Whatever is compelling Rovainnen, though, he does want to resist but
        > > can't.
        >
        > Rovainnen admits that he's a Revenant to Dr. Vg, doesn't he?

        Yep. And Vg pleads with him to resist, but the horrid compulsion goes
        rolling on. They both know it's happening against his will. When
        Rovainnen says that he is denied the comfort of madness, it's the
        coldest, saddest thing.