Pondering Agatha's Genetic Abilities

  • Elizabeth McCoy
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
      1) She has the Heterodyne Pheromones -- the Jaegers identify her, and probably
      have certain instincts to protect and obey. Probably. (So far, the worst she's
      done is knock off Maxim's hat -- and he _might_ have been faking some of his
      reaction. I'm still suspicious about Oggie's breakdown and whether or not
      he's a better actor than we yet know.)

      2) She has Mongfish Harmonics -- she ordered Von Pinn to put her down, and
      she did.

      3) She has Other Harmonics -- she ordered the Warrior Bogs to stand aside,
      and they did. This may also account for our little revenant running off in
      a tizzy.

      One and two have obvious reasons. Three... Well, there's a chance it could
      simply be coincidence. Or that it's semi-coincidence, and the Other was
      really a hypothetical middle Mongfish sister/brother... (The Revenant
      might never have _seen_ the Other, and simply assumed the gender because
      the Voice Harmonics activated his slaver wasp at the time.)
      --
      --Beth, arcangel@... http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
    • John Reiher
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
        On Oct 22, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Elizabeth McCoy wrote:

        > 1) She has the Heterodyne Pheromones -- the Jaegers identify her,
        > and probably
        > have certain instincts to protect and obey. Probably. (So far, the
        > worst she's
        > done is knock off Maxim's hat -- and he _might_ have been faking
        > some of his
        > reaction. I'm still suspicious about Oggie's breakdown and whether
        > or not
        > he's a better actor than we yet know.)
        >
        > 2) She has Mongfish Harmonics -- she ordered Von Pinn to put her
        > down, and
        > she did.
        >
        > 3) She has Other Harmonics -- she ordered the Warrior Bogs to stand
        > aside,
        > and they did. This may also account for our little revenant running
        > off in
        > a tizzy.

        There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
        Lucrezia be the Other:

        Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
        Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she is
        a chimera: Part Human, part Other.

        --
        ------------------------
        Kedamono@...

      • Pete Hartman
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
          On 10/24/05, John Reiher <kedamono@...> wrote:
          > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
          > Lucrezia be the Other:
          >
          > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
          > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she is
          > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.

          OOOOHHHHH That's good.
        • Svein Ove Aas
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
            On 10/24/05, John Reiher <kedamono@...> wrote:
            > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
            > Lucrezia be the Other:
            >
            > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
            > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she is
            > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.

            That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with two or
            more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd look like
            the patchwork man if she was)

            I'm not sure if there is a term for a creature who has inherited
            genetic material from mother, father and Other, but it's probably got
            something to do with genetic engineering. (Which pretty much *can't*
            occur in the normal sense in Europa Wulfenbach - they lack computers,
            or any other way to handle such immense amounts of information.
            Genetic splicing could work.)
          • brellchild
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
              > > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
              > > Lucrezia be the Other:
              > >
              > > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
              > > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she
              > is
              > > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.
              >
              > That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with two
              > or
              > more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd look
              > like
              > the patchwork man if she was)
              >
              > I'm not sure if there is a term for a creature who has inherited
              > genetic material from mother, father and Other, but it's probably
              > got
              > something to do with genetic engineering. (Which pretty much *can't*
              > occur in the normal sense in Europa Wulfenbach - they lack
              > computers,
              > or any other way to handle such immense amounts of information.
              > Genetic splicing could work.)

              Some possible terms:

              Genie - Slang for genetic engineered.

              Jenner - See above. Not sure either would apply in ths
              scenario because they imply more concious as opposed to
              accidental methods.

              Fusion - Two or more genetically distinct patterns
              melded.

              Hybrid - Might not apply because it usually means a more
              normal method of creation.

              Altered 'in utero' - Or some similar bad latin meaning
              changed while in the womb.

              Any other terms that might apply?
            • chembiogrrl
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2005
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@a...> wrote:

                > On 10/24/05, John Reiher <kedamono@a...> wrote:
                > > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
                > > Lucrezia be the Other:
                > >
                > > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
                > > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she is
                > > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.
                >
                > That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with two or
                > more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd look like
                > the patchwork man if she was)

                Unless the Other parts are not externally visible somehow?

                > I'm not sure if there is a term for a creature who has inherited
                > genetic material from mother, father and Other, but it's probably got
                > something to do with genetic engineering. (Which pretty much *can't*
                > occur in the normal sense in Europa Wulfenbach - they lack computers,
                > or any other way to handle such immense amounts of information.
                > Genetic splicing could work.)

                How about Slaver Wasp retroviruses, splicing their RNA into human DNA?

                --Kathryn
              • Lee Nuckols
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
                  On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Svein Ove Aas wrote:

                  > On 10/24/05, John Reiher <kedamono@...> wrote:
                  > > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not have
                  > > Lucrezia be the Other:
                  > >
                  > > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
                  > > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and she is
                  > > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.
                  >
                  > That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with two or
                  > more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd look like
                  > the patchwork man if she was)

                  Actually, thanks to a bone marrow transplant, my daughter fits the
                  definition of Chimeras. It only took some chemical treatment and
                  placental blood from a donor. The biggest problem for this method in GG
                  is the sterilization issue due to weak immune systems. So it's not
                  entirely out of the question.

                  Lee

                • Bill Jackson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2005
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@a...>
                    wrote:

                    > > On 10/24/05, John Reiher <kedamono@a...> wrote:
                    > > > There is one way for Agatha to be all three at once and not
                    have
                    > > > Lucrezia be the Other:
                    > > >
                    > > > Lucrezia was turned into a revenant while pregnant with Agatha.
                    > > > Agatha gets infused, but not taken over, with Other Genes and
                    she is
                    > > > a chimera: Part Human, part Other.
                    > >
                    > > That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with
                    two or
                    > > more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd
                    look like
                    > > the patchwork man if she was)
                    >
                    > Unless the Other parts are not externally visible somehow?
                    > >
                    > > I'm not sure if there is a term for a creature who has inherited
                    > > genetic material from mother, father and Other, but it's
                    probably got
                    > > something to do with genetic engineering. (Which pretty much
                    *can't*
                    > > occur in the normal sense in Europa Wulfenbach - they lack
                    computers,
                    > > or any other way to handle such immense amounts of information.
                    > > Genetic splicing could work.)
                    > >
                    > How about Slaver Wasp retroviruses, splicing their RNA into human
                    DNA?

                    > --Kathryn

                    There was an episode of CSI maybe last season where a suspect was
                    a "chimera", that is he had two sets of DNA. The explanation was
                    that he was originally twins, and somehow the embryos merged back
                    into one form. Supposed to be rare; suspect had stripes on his back
                    under UV light.
                  • Svein Ove Aas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2005
                      On 10/26/05, Bill Jackson <daglob@...> wrote:
                      > There was an episode of CSI maybe last season where a suspect was
                      > a "chimera", that is he had two sets of DNA. The explanation was
                      > that he was originally twins, and somehow the embryos merged back
                      > into one form. Supposed to be rare; suspect had stripes on his back
                      > under UV light.

                      Not quite as rare as you'd think.

                      It occurs a lot with identical twins, but while it's usually possible
                      to tell the two (very slightly divergent) cell-lines apart later, it
                      doesn't have any actual *effect*.

                      The more common chimeras happen when you have fraternal twins who for
                      some reason or other merge at an early stage. The result is usually
                      nonviable and will get reabsorbed before the mother notices a
                      pregnancy, but sometimes the fetus survives. (It's amazing what the
                      body can adjust to!)

                      What especially gets me is that, in approximately half the cases, it
                      turns out that the fraternal twins were of different sex. This doesn't
                      appear to lower its chances of survival any, nor does it cause any
                      problems later - a very interesting fact - but if the baby goes on to
                      have kids of its own later, said kids have a good chance of ending up
                      with odd combinations such as XXY, YY and so forth. This thoroughly
                      messes them up, and they sometimes survive anyway. >_<
                    • Svein Ove Aas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2005
                        On 10/27/05, Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@...> wrote:
                        > On 10/26/05, Bill Jackson <daglob@...> wrote:
                        > > There was an episode of CSI maybe last season where a suspect was
                        > > a "chimera", that is he had two sets of DNA. The explanation was
                        > > that he was originally twins, and somehow the embryos merged back
                        > > into one form. Supposed to be rare; suspect had stripes on his back
                        > > under UV light.

                        Oh, and I forgot to mention:
                        The UV-stripe thing is total nonsense. That's *flowers*, not people.

                        It's possible that you might see something like that in a chimera of,
                        say, a black and white cell-line (possible if the parents were brown),
                        but that would be abundantly obvious even without UV. :P
                      • Corgi
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                          --- Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@a...> wrote:

                          > That's good, but one slight bugfix: Chimeras are creatures with two or
                          > more distinct cell-lines, which Agatha clearly isn't. (She'd look like
                          > the patchwork man if she was)

                          Not so. Discovery Channel ran a couple of shows a few months back --
                          one was entitled 'I Am My Own Twin' -- discussing human chimerism.
                          The named show profiled two women who are genetically unrelated to the
                          children they carried and bore after natural conception. The reason?
                          They're both chimerae. The woman from Massachusetts, it turns out,
                          had at least one child whose genetic profile was more like as if her
                          /brother/ and her husband had had a child together....

                          The point is, their chimerism was only discovered at the cellular
                          level, not from any obvious exterior 'patchwork' effect. Some of
                          their organs were completely theirs, some were of their 'missing
                          twin's genetic makeup, and some tissues it was 50-50. There were no
                          functionality issues, just tissue-matching.

                          (Incidentally, the poorer of the two women ended up in a legal hell
                          when the state she lived in decided to accuse her of attempting a
                          welfare scam by claiming children that weren't 'hers'. Ain't the
                          System grand? [/liberalcommentary])

                          Corgi the Weird-Science Geek