Re: Too quiet? (Balan's Gap)

  • jsheikg
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@v...> wrote:
      > Hadn't thought of that. Disturbing possibility indeed.
      >
      > But only a short term thing. Klaus gets word of the mess
      > and then napalms the region. If buglies ever show up again
      > he gets creative AND angry. Still a possibility though -
      > if there was a good enough reason for him to do it.
      >

      > > Wasn't the pass through the bugglie town the only other way
      > > through?
      > > Anyone want to bet this guy as something to do with that? Eliminate
      > > the competion and force everyone to pass his way.
      > >

      > > > Anyone else suspicious of how the Prince of Balan's Gap
      > > > went from 'Major Player' to 'good little vassal'?
      > > >
      > > > While he might be enlightened enough to see the 'Big
      > > > Picture' benefits of Pax Wulfenbach, I doubt it. Even
      > > > Beetle ((who trained Klaus and knew him as well as
      > > > anyone)) rebelled. Methinks something is going on in
      > > > Balan's Gap that Klaus would not aprove of...
      > > >
      > > > I wonder what forces Klaus has in the area and how
      > > > openly they operate. Jaegers would be too much to hope
      > > > for, but there has to be something ((or maybe someONE?)).

      If Aaronev is behind the Buglies and Klaus wipes them slick, Aaronev
      still wins with the bridge destroyed and no local town to rebuild it.
      Looks like a well executed plan to me. Aaronev wipes out the
      competition and keeps his hands clean.
      In the unlikely event Klaus rebuilds the bridge, Aaronev can whip up
      something else to destroy it by remote control in a year or two.
    • Bill Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@y...> wrote:

        > If Aaronev is behind the Buglies and Klaus wipes them slick, Aaronev
        > still wins with the bridge destroyed and no local town to rebuild it.
        > Looks like a well executed plan to me. Aaronev wipes out the
        > competition and keeps his hands clean.
        > In the unlikely event Klaus rebuilds the bridge, Aaronev can whip up
        > something else to destroy it by remote control in a year or two.

        Then again, why cross the bridge into a wasteland? The city would have
        to be rebuilt as well. In the time it takes to build the bridge and
        establish another city, Aaronmev will be charging toll or wahtever to
        pass through his territory. His power and wealth will increase, and
        his master plan may reach fruition.
      • arondell
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
          Actually I think it would be quite likely that Klaus would rebuild the
          bridge. Roads and bridges are a strategic resource for any nation. A
          good example of this would be the Roman empire which absolutely loved
          building them. Helped get troops and supplies around faster and
          helped establish the power of Rome in general.

          If wierd events kept cropping up there Klaus would almost certainly
          take a closer look at the situation.

          Arondell

          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@y...> wrote:

          > If Aaronev is behind the Buglies and Klaus wipes them slick, Aaronev
          > still wins with the bridge destroyed and no local town to rebuild it.
          > Looks like a well executed plan to me. Aaronev wipes out the
          > competition and keeps his hands clean.
          > In the unlikely event Klaus rebuilds the bridge, Aaronev can whip up
          > something else to destroy it by remote control in a year or two.
        • honor_mcleod
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@v...> wrote:
            > Anyone else suspicious of how the Prince of Balan's Gap
            > went from 'Major Player' to 'good little vassal'?
            >
            > While he might be enlightened enough to see the 'Big
            > Picture' benefits of Pax Wulfenbach, I doubt it. Even
            > Beetle ((who trained Klaus and knew him as well as
            > anyone)) rebelled. Methinks something is going on in
            > Balan's Gap that Klaus would not aprove of...

            I wonder. I'm willing to bet that half the reason many sparks
            became 'Major Players' in the first place was to defend what they
            already have. After all, the best defence is often a good offense.
            Aaronev might be one of those sparks who is powerful enough to play
            the game and _win_, but would far rather be tin-pot tyrant in his own
            land than to deal with the complexities of conquest. If that's true,
            being absorbed into the Pax Wulfenbach would be something of a relief.
            He would no longer have to split his attention twenty different ways,
            watching his neighbors, since he could confidently trust Klause to
            squash them if they got to squirrily.

            Instead, he now only has to play attention to Klaus, and, while
            admittedly Klaus is an enormous threat, he's also shown that he
            couldn't give a fig what Aaronev does as long as he plays by the
            rules.

            Mcleod
          • sirruthvenmurgatroyd
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Jackson" <daglob@y...> wrote:
              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > If Aaronev is behind the Buglies and Klaus wipes them slick,
              Aaronev
              > > still wins with the bridge destroyed and no local town to rebuild
              it.
              > > Looks like a well executed plan to me. Aaronev wipes out the
              > > competition and keeps his hands clean.
              > > In the unlikely event Klaus rebuilds the bridge, Aaronev can whip
              up
              > > something else to destroy it by remote control in a year or two.
              >
              > Then again, why cross the bridge into a wasteland?

              To get to places which are on the other side of the wasteland.
              Passholdt was a stop on the circus's preferred route to
              Mechanicsburg.
              Once the buglies are removed, people will start using that route
              again.

              Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd
              23rd Baronet of Ruddigore
            • jsheikg
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "honor_mcleod" <tlroys@h...> wrote:
                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@v...> wrote:
                > > Anyone else suspicious of how the Prince of Balan's Gap
                > > went from 'Major Player' to 'good little vassal'?
                > >
                > > While he might be enlightened enough to see the 'Big
                > > Picture' benefits of Pax Wulfenbach, I doubt it. Even
                > > Beetle ((who trained Klaus and knew him as well as
                > > anyone)) rebelled. Methinks something is going on in
                > > Balan's Gap that Klaus would not aprove of...
                >
                > I wonder. I'm willing to bet that half the reason many sparks
                > became 'Major Players' in the first place was to defend what they
                > already have. After all, the best defence is often a good offense.
                > Aaronev might be one of those sparks who is powerful enough to play
                > the game and _win_, but would far rather be tin-pot tyrant in his own
                > land than to deal with the complexities of conquest. If that's true,
                > being absorbed into the Pax Wulfenbach would be something of a relief.
                > He would no longer have to split his attention twenty different ways,
                > watching his neighbors, since he could confidently trust Klause to
                > squash them if they got to squirrily.
                >
                > Instead, he now only has to play attention to Klaus, and, while
                > admittedly Klaus is an enormous threat, he's also shown that he
                > couldn't give a fig what Aaronev does as long as he plays by the
                > rules.
                >
                > Mcleod

                This would make perfect sense to most people, but Sparks survive their
                own mistakes by being paranoid and being paranoid Aaronev is probably
                not waiting for Klaus' other shoe to drop. Knowing Klaus' tendency to
                collect Sparks, Aaronev probably has visions of looking out on the
                activities of a lab on Castle Wulfenbach from inside a jar if he
                doesn't act before Klaus does.
              • Karrion
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, sirruthvenmurgatroyd
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > Once the buglies are removed, people will start using that route
                  > again.

                  Most people won't risk that. Most folks would rather pay a hefty toll
                  to travel a 'safe' path. All he'd have to do is make a few travelers
                  vanish now and again to keep the myth going. I'm willing to bet even
                  fifty years later most people will avoid that area 'just in case'
                • Michael Telford
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                    So... Moxana wants her sister back, and thinks Agatha can do it. Now
                    we all know that Agatha's done amazing things in the past; she's a
                    powerful Spark, she has a top-flight education and she's well and
                    truly brilliant. She's got van Rijn's notes, and a toolchest that TPU
                    can't match. But... can she get the parts and materials she needs to
                    create a new Tinka? Personally, I think she can. But one way or
                    another, there are going to be some very tough questions for her to
                    answer.
                  • Blade
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings1@m...>
                      wrote:
                      > So... Moxana wants her sister back, and thinks Agatha can do it. Now
                      > we all know that Agatha's done amazing things in the past; she's a
                      > powerful Spark, she has a top-flight education and she's well and
                      > truly brilliant. She's got van Rijn's notes, and a toolchest that TPU
                      > can't match. But... can she get the parts and materials she needs to
                      > create a new Tinka? Personally, I think she can. But one way or
                      > another, there are going to be some very tough questions for her to
                      > answer.

                      Agatha building a new Tinka seems to be where Master Payne is going
                      with this. What I'm seeing, rather, is Agatha building new Muses --
                      after all, there's still some hope of rescuing Tinka from Aaronev's
                      foul clutches, and having twin Tinkas might be confusing.

                      But if Agatha can "re-complete the set", reconstructing the Muses who
                      were destroyed ...! *That's* an accomplishment worthy of the
                      reputation of her dad and uncle. @;D

                      Blade