Girl Genius: Re: Artificial Intelligence?

  • Cerrberus
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 04:59:48 -0000
      Blade opined:

      > Constructs are based upon Human design -- whether or not the construct
      > remembers a life previous to death and reconstruction, we don't know
      > yet. But they are reanimated amalgamations of Human parts, acting as
      > Human and capable of passing as Human.
      > <<Xnp>>
      > Blade

      Well, Zoing has 2 arms, 2 legs, a head, all presumably connected by a
      torso as well as an overcoat. Don't know the origin of the materials Gil
      used to construct or grow Zoing.
      I think constructs are based on biological models, using biological
      materials, and would include the land squids, ambulatory giant pea
      plants, /etc./ as constructs. But Gil's *mechanical* orchestra figures,
      Lucrezia's fishmobile and the wastelands crab-clank are mechanicals
      styled on bio-models without [IMO] biological components. Only the
      Fogliios know.
      But we do have fun speculatin'.

      Cerrberus
      `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

      Time exists so that everything doesn't happen at once.
      Space exists so that everything doesn't happen to you.
      From: Su Mrozinski
      `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    • Blade
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Cerrberus <res1a8o8@v...> wrote:
        > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 04:59:48 -0000
        > Blade opined:
        > > Constructs ... are reanimated amalgamations of Human parts,
        > > acting as Human and capable of passing as Human.
        > >

        > I think constructs are based on biological models, using biological
        > materials, and would include the land squids, ambulatory giant pea
        > plants, /etc./ as constructs.

        Gah! Okay, you caught me -- I fell into the trap of anthropomorphism,
        my bad. What I should have said was "reanimated amalgamations of
        *organic* parts, capable of passing as humans and/or animals". Zoing
        is a small child's storybook Friendly Monster, brought to life.

        > But Gil's *mechanical* orchestra figures,
        > Lucrezia's fishmobile and the wastelands crab-clank are mechanicals
        > styled on bio-models without [IMO] biological components. Only the
        > Fogliios know.

        Well, to me the organic vs. mechanical distinction is clear as night
        vs. day -- making the Muses particularly fascinating and advanced, in
        that they *are* the latter, and *act as* the former.

        > But we do have fun speculatin'.

        That's what this list/group/thingie is *for*. @;D

        Blade
      • Karrion
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
          I've been thinking, it seems to me that emotion in a clack has more
          todo with the intent of it's creator then any limit of design. Most
          clanks would have been built to be will-less workers or
          unquestioning soldiers. Emotion isn't well suited to either of those
          roles. The best way I can think to illustrate this is imagine
          Klaus's army of battle clanks all with the minds and personalities
          of jagers. Ok, now ponder the terror of the phrase "Huy am REALLY
          bhored!"

          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:
          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Cerrberus <res1a8o8@v...> wrote:
          > > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 04:59:48 -0000
          > > Blade opined:
          > > > Constructs ... are reanimated amalgamations of Human parts,
          > > > acting as Human and capable of passing as Human.
          > > >

          > > I think constructs are based on biological models, using
          biological
          > > materials, and would include the land squids, ambulatory giant
          pea
          > > plants, /etc./ as constructs.
          >
          > Gah! Okay, you caught me -- I fell into the trap of
          anthropomorphism,
          > my bad. What I should have said was "reanimated amalgamations of
          > *organic* parts, capable of passing as humans and/or animals".
          Zoing
          > is a small child's storybook Friendly Monster, brought to life.
          >
          > > But Gil's *mechanical* orchestra figures,
          > > Lucrezia's fishmobile and the wastelands crab-clank are
          mechanicals
          > > styled on bio-models without [IMO] biological components. Only
          the
          > > Fogliios know.
          >
          > Well, to me the organic vs. mechanical distinction is clear as
          night
          > vs. day -- making the Muses particularly fascinating and advanced,
          in
          > that they *are* the latter, and *act as* the former.
          >
          > > But we do have fun speculatin'.
          >
          > That's what this list/group/thingie is *for*. @;D
          >
          > Blade
        • Blade
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
            > I've been thinking, it seems to me that emotion in a clack has more
            > todo with the intent of it's creator then any limit of design. Most
            > clanks would have been built to be will-less workers or
            > unquestioning soldiers. Emotion isn't well suited to either of those
            > roles. The best way I can think to illustrate this is imagine
            > Klaus's army of battle clanks all with the minds and personalities
            > of jagers. Ok, now ponder the terror of the phrase "Huy am REALLY
            > bhored!"

            Ho! Like bored clenks coult be skarier dan bored J├Ągerkin ...! Vot
            kind muchroomz hyu bin eatink, hey? Zilly boy.

            Blade @;]
          • spottedkittyuk
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
              > The best way I can think to illustrate this is imagine Klaus's
              > army of battle clanks all with the minds and personalities
              > of jagers. Ok, now ponder the terror of the phrase "Huy am
              > REALLY bhored!"

              <boggle>

              Come back, Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, all is forgiven! (except
              those &@#$ doors...)
            • Blade
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "spottedkittyuk"