Othar and Oslo's destruction

  • brellchild
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Remembering what the Secret Blueprints say about Othar:

      http://www.studiofoglio.com/girlgenius/secretblueprints/vol001/18.html

      And the fact that he (Othar) appears to be completely effing
      nuts, I am starting to wonder what connection (if any) Othar
      and/or his insanity have to the destruction of Oslo.

      Kinda comes down to four thoughts:

      Did Othar destroy or actively aid those who destroyed the
      city?

      Was Othar trying to subdue some Spark with a Doomsday Device
      and Othar just wasn't quite good enough and/or did things just
      get out of hand?

      Was Othar completely uninvolved with whatever happened, but he
      managed to survive because he was a strong Spark?

      Was Othar sane and/or a Spark before the Oslo incident?

      Pick your favorite(s) and post your thoughts.
    • Blade
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@v...> wrote:
        > Remembering what the Secret Blueprints say about Othar:
        >
        > http://www.studiofoglio.com/girlgenius/secretblueprints/vol001/18.html
        >
        > And the fact that he (Othar) appears to be completely effing
        > nuts, I am starting to wonder what connection (if any) Othar
        > and/or his insanity have to the destruction of Oslo.
        >
        > Kinda comes down to four thoughts:

        Actually, this, for me, presents a fifth option, towhit:

        Othar is one of the few survivors of Oslo. (And what are the others
        like, I wonder?)

        According to common belief (as stated in the Secret Blueprints), the
        events of the destruction of Oslo lead to his becoming a hero. Ergo
        he was NOT a hero before Oslo was destroyed.

        Was the destruction of Oslo intentional? That is, did someone set out
        to destroy Oslo, or was that a side-effect?

        Now, on to Blade's Wild Theory of the Week:

        What if The Other baracaded the City of Oslo so that no one could come
        or go -- perhaps during the winter, when few would notice a lack of
        travellers? -- and experimented on the people. ALL the people.
        Perhaps the object of the experiment was to learn What Makes a Spark?
        Vivisection of, and experimentation on, both sparks and non-sparks --
        maybe the Other actually learned the answer? Who knows? (Well, yes,
        the Foglios do, but I'm not asking them, and they ain't telling yet.)

        The few who were spared -- like Othar -- were remade into agents of
        the Other. Perhaps Othar hates sparks so much because he can recall,
        dimly, being a non-spark who hated and feared them?

        So, we've got a small cadre of super engineered psuedo-sparks,
        nigh-indestructable, sure of their own righteousness, and bent on
        destroying all sparks ... perhaps at a density of one Hero per
        continent? Is there someone like Othar in Asia? In the Americas?
        'Cause, y'know, if they were any closer together than that, they might
        meet, and start comparing notes ....

        Blade @;7
      • jsheikg
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:
          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@v...>
          wrote:
          > > Remembering what the Secret Blueprints say about Othar:

          http://www.studiofoglio.com/girlgenius/secretblueprints/vol001/18.htm

          > > And the fact that he (Othar) appears to be completely effing
          > > nuts, I am starting to wonder what connection (if any) Othar
          > > and/or his insanity have to the destruction of Oslo.
          > >
          > > Kinda comes down to four thoughts:
          >
          > Actually, this, for me, presents a fifth option, towhit:
          >
          > Othar is one of the few survivors of Oslo. (And what are the others
          > like, I wonder?)
          >
          > According to common belief (as stated in the Secret Blueprints),
          the
          > events of the destruction of Oslo lead to his becoming a hero.
          Ergo
          > he was NOT a hero before Oslo was destroyed.
          >
          > Was the destruction of Oslo intentional? That is, did someone set
          out
          > to destroy Oslo, or was that a side-effect?
          >
          > Now, on to Blade's Wild Theory of the Week:
          >
          > What if The Other baracaded the City of Oslo so that no one could
          come
          > or go -- perhaps during the winter, when few would notice a lack of
          > travellers? -- and experimented on the people. ALL the people.
          > Perhaps the object of the experiment was to learn What Makes a
          Spark?
          > Vivisection of, and experimentation on, both sparks and non-
          sparks --
          > maybe the Other actually learned the answer? Who knows? (Well,
          yes,
          > the Foglios do, but I'm not asking them, and they ain't telling
          yet.)

          > The few who were spared -- like Othar -- were remade into agents of
          > the Other. Perhaps Othar hates sparks so much because he can
          recall,
          > dimly, being a non-spark who hated and feared them?
          >
          > So, we've got a small cadre of super engineered psuedo-sparks,
          > nigh-indestructable, sure of their own righteousness, and bent on
          > destroying all sparks ... perhaps at a density of one Hero per
          > continent? Is there someone like Othar in Asia? In the Americas?
          > 'Cause, y'know, if they were any closer together than that, they
          might
          > meet, and start comparing notes ....
          >
          > Blade @;7

          You have some good points, however from what you have presented it
          looks to me like someone other than the Other was involved, simply
          because the Other seems to be motivated to off all Sparks and the
          Experimenter of Oslo was trying to create them. It sounds more like
          a more ruthless version of Klaus Wulfenbach to me.
          Also, we don't know if the destruction of Oslo was the result of the
          initial experiment or an effort to euthanize an already messed over
          population. If it was the latter, Othar would be well motivated to
          destroy any Spark, having seen what just one would do, but would
          side with a Heterodyne in the belief of a commonality of purpose.
          This would be especially true if Agatha were to come to know what he
          knows and is confident she will find out on her own (and knowing
          that his own testimony would be seen as prejudiced).