Issue #7

  • gaertk
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 28 3:46 PM
      Issue #7 is Here!

      Wow, this series just gets more and more interesting....

      I'll post some spoilers and a followup to my predictions tomorrow.

      --KG
    • Damien Sullivan
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 28 7:43 PM
        Spoilers now!

        Spoilers, I say! Begone!

        By the way, if you've only read the issue once, stop and go re-read it.
        Really.

        So, the plot thickens. Actually, there's actual plot. Woo.

        Klaus suddenly looks much more villainy. But I'll play apologist this once.
        Maybe he has standards for which Sparks he plays with. Such as Evil
        Overlords. Or diobedient underlords (I think we know what Beetle feared,
        now). Or insanely dangerous 'heroes' who want to blow up hiw digirible and
        can't be negotiated with.

        No, I don't know how Krosp's creator fits into this.

        But you know what's really interesting? Klaus has Franken-stiches all over
        him! We seem them later, when he's shirtless. Well, we don't see them in the
        second panel, but they're in the surrounding panels. Construct, indeed. Are
        stiches a sign of crudeness? Or do Jagers and von Pinn have stiches beneath
        their clothes?

        So it's not so surprising Klaus can beat up Othar so easily. But it's worth
        noting Gil can also beat up Othar. And fence with an insane fencing machine.
        I think this says the preternatural reflexes and swiftness shown in the
        Bettle-Bomb-Goldfish Incident and in the Taunting the Strange Clanke Incident
        were realy there. Gil's strong and fast and precise. Of course Agatha has
        good reflexes and aim too.

        Othar croggled cutely when Klaus mentioned his wife. Standing in for the
        reader croggling.

        Oh no, time machines. I hate time machines... What's weird is that it all
        meant something to Klaus, who presumably didn't get the fully detailed version
        we got from Bang Bang Dupree.

        If Klaus doesn't want to be disturbed, shouldn't he lock the door?

        Tangent: the White Stars on Babylon-5 were called hybrids of human, Minbari,
        and Vorlon technology. Many viewers asked, given the advancement of Minbari
        and Vorlon, just what humans had to contribute. The toilets? Well, you know
        how a running joke about Star Trek is that they need seatbelts and fuses? So
        do the White Stars. Hell, they need _seats_, never mind seatbelts. Which
        Hyperion class warships have -- we saw the captain of one firmly strapped in,
        first season. Of course, those are zero-gee ships, so you really need them.
        I think we've seen them in Starfuries as well.

        Anyway, so they need belts, and Klaus needs locks. Like on Othar's secret
        cage.

        Why does Gil hate Othar so much? Besides Othar being really annoying. Wasn't
        there something about Gil and Othar overlapping in Paris?

        Good issue. Now we wait.

        -xx- Damien X-)
      • Megan Grimm
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 29 6:03 AM
          I'm keeping the spoiler space for the sake of those
          poor souls who haven't read #7 yet (and BTW, if you
          live it Pittsburgh and need a copy of the Secret
          Blueprints -- or any other ish, for that matter -- go
          to "Phantom of the Attic" on S. Craig St. by CMU ...
          they must have a stash of them in the back, 'cause
          I've bought several copies there for friends).

          > Spoilers now!

          > Spoilers, I say! Begone!
          >
          > By the way, if you've only read the issue once, stop
          > and go re-read it.

          Oh, I did. Several times.

          > Really.

          Honest.

          > So, the plot thickens. Actually, there's actual
          > plot. Woo.

          Hey, now. There's been actual plot the whole time;
          it's just that we're only seeing the very tip of the
          plot iceburg and there are still fathoms'-worth of
          plot lurking beneath our hull, waiting to rip our
          suppositions to kindling and immerse us in the frigid
          waters of the Foglios' amazing imagination gestalt ...

          Wow, that got metaphorical in a hurry ...

          > Klaus suddenly looks much more villainy.

          I was kind of upset by that, to be honest; apart from
          this obvious eagerness to rip someone's mind to
          shreds, I rather liked him.

          > But I'll play apologist this once.

          Go for it!

          > Maybe he has standards for which Sparks he plays
          > with. Such as Evil Overlords. Or diobedient
          > underlords (I think we know what Beetle feared,
          > now). Or insanely dangerous 'heroes' who want to
          > blow up his digirible and can't be negotiated with.

          I would speculate that the most dangerous thing about
          Othar is not the havoc he *intentionally* causes
          (which is obviously pretty extreme), but the even
          greater havoc he unknowingly wreaks on those poor
          Spark-struck saps who follow him around. I doubt any
          of his companions can get life or health insurance;
          Othar's too much of a lifestyle risk element.

          > No, I don't know how Krosp's creator fits into this.

          Me neither. I like the theory that it's Dr. Dim,
          though. That makes a lot of sense.

          > But you know what's really interesting? Klaus has
          > Franken-stiches all over him! We seem them later,
          > when he's shirtless. Well, we don't see them in the
          > second panel, but they're in the surrounding panels.
          > Construct, indeed. Are stiches a sign of crudeness?
          > Or do Jagers and von Pinn have stiches beneath
          > their clothes?

          (Ew. Don't go there.)

          And the speculation goes *wild* ... I mean, maybe that
          really *isn't* Klaus at all. Or maybe the reason he
          reappeared post-Other in such a nasty mood is because
          he had be reassembled ... oh, I could go on for HOURS.

          > So it's not so surprising Klaus can beat up Othar so
          > easily. But it's worth noting Gil can also beat up
          > Othar. And fence with an insane fencing machine.

          Side note: I want one of those. My last fencing coach
          was something of a disappointment. (My first fencing
          coach was also the local SCA Viscount, so we learned a
          lot of really cool non-Olympic tricks ... heh.)

          > I think this says the preternatural reflexes and
          > swiftness shown in the Bettle-Bomb-Goldfish Incident

          > and in the Taunting the Strange Clank Incident
          > were really there. Gil's strong and fast and
          > precise.

          Which actually adds further weight to the speculation
          that Gil is really a construct. Which then could
          explain Klaus' surprise that Gil sparked at age 8 ...
          it might have been surprise that he sparked at ALL.

          > Of course Agatha has good reflexes and aim too.

          ... and then, of course, it could just be a Spark
          thing ...

          > Othar croggled cutely when Klaus mentioned his wife.
          > Standing in for the reader croggling.
          >
          > Oh no, time machines. I hate time machines...

          It looked more like some sort of viewing portal than
          an actual transport device to me, but I could be
          mistaken.

          > What's weird is that it all meant something to
          Klaus,
          > who presumably didn't get the fully detailed version
          > we got from Bang Bang Dupree.

          Maybe it was the mention of the White Ladies ...
          whoever the heck *they* are.

          > If Klaus doesn't want to be disturbed, shouldn't he
          > lock the door?
          <snip>
          > Anyway, so they need belts, and Klaus needs locks.
          > Like on Othar's secret cage.

          Nah. Othar was obviously *supposed* to escape. It
          was another test for Gil (and possibly one for Othar,
          too). That whole brain-coring scene may well have
          been an elaborate setup on the part of Klaus -- who
          does not strike me as the kind of ruthless overlord
          who would tolerate much slackness or be so careless as
          to *accidentally* leave the door unlocked -- to (a)
          give him a chance to pummel Othar (better than an
          aerobics class!) and (b) test Gil's reflexes et. al.

          > Why does Gil hate Othar so much? Besides Othar
          > being really annoying. Wasn't there something about

          > Gil and Othar overlapping in Paris?

          I'm guessing this mysterious "Island of the Monkey
          Girls" might have something to do with it ...
          That, or the fact that Othar is just really annoying
          and probably gets everyone around him into serious
          trouble. I rather doubt Gil needs any extra help with
          the whole getting-into-trouble aspect of Sparkyness.

          > Good issue. Now we wait.

          Oh, heck yeah! Ripping good show, old bean! My sole
          complaint was the complete and utter lack of
          Jagermonsters; but we did have a surfeit of the manic
          little buggers in issue 6, so I can't complain too
          much.

          -- Megan G.

          =====
          If it's worth doing, it's worth doing alone.

          -- Chinese proverb
        • Damien Sullivan
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 29 5:08 PM
            On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 06:03:18AM -0700, Megan Grimm wrote:
            > I'm keeping the spoiler space for the sake of those
            > poor souls who haven't read #7 yet (and BTW, if you
            > live it Pittsburgh and need a copy of the Secret
            > Blueprints -- or any other ish, for that matter -- go
            > to "Phantom of the Attic" on S. Craig St. by CMU ...
            > they must have a stash of them in the back, 'cause
            > I've bought several copies there for friends).
            >
            > > Spoilers now!

            > > Spoilers, I say! Begone!
            > >
            > > By the way, if you've only read the issue once, stop
            > > and go re-read it.
            >
            > I was kind of upset by that, to be honest; apart from
            > this obvious eagerness to rip someone's mind to
            > shreds, I rather liked him.

            Even without apologies, he's still nicer than the average Spark. Or ruler.
            "And cutting up Sparks isn't like hurting innocent people."

            > > No, I don't know how Krosp's creator fits into this.
            >
            > Me neither. I like the theory that it's Dr. Dim,
            > though. That makes a lot of sense.

            As Chris pointed out, Krosp was among the bears. That or there's a 'bear'
            looking very much like Krosp.

            > really *isn't* Klaus at all. Or maybe the reason he
            > reappeared post-Other in such a nasty mood is because
            > he had be reassembled ... oh, I could go on for HOURS.

            I keep wondering about his brothers, as mentioned in the Blueprints, and
            whether there was some amalgamation at some point. "My brain, your body."

            > that Gil is really a construct. Which then could
            > explain Klaus' surprise that Gil sparked at age 8 ...
            > it might have been surprise that he sparked at ALL.

            Hmm. We haven't heard of any constructs which breed and grow, have we? Oh,
            mimmoths. Never mind. And Jagermonsters, I guess. Right.

            I wanna see the kestle!

            > It looked more like some sort of viewing portal than
            > an actual transport device to me, but I could be
            > mistaken.

            Maybe, but Gil was mildly worried about Bang Bang going bang, plus sound
            travels, not to mention vision... it's not just a passive viewer; it has
            effects on the past.

            > Nah. Othar was obviously *supposed* to escape. It
            > was another test for Gil (and possibly one for Othar,
            > too). That whole brain-coring scene may well have
            > been an elaborate setup on the part of Klaus -- who
            > does not strike me as the kind of ruthless overlord
            > who would tolerate much slackness or be so careless as
            > to *accidentally* leave the door unlocked -- to (a)

            Now I'm croggling. Klaus's frustration seemed so genuine. Huh.

            > little buggers in issue 6, so I can't complain too

            Little? Little? Those generals ain't little...

            -xx- Damien X-)
          • cabowen80
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30 12:27 AM
              Lolly,
              Lolly,
              Lolly.
              Get
              Your
              Spoilers
              Here!

              Lolly,
              Lolly,
              Lolly.
              Get
              Your
              Spoilers
              Here!

              Man, I can't believe they killed off Gil!

              Spoilers
              Galore!

              Sorry about that, just freaking out those who were reading this
              without reading the book yet.

              Anyway, I can't believe that NO ONE has mentioned this yet. NO ONE!!
              But the outline of the temporal hole that Agatha and Co. were spying
              on Bangladesh through was the exact same (even down to the ZZT
              noises) as the hole that the (Minor 'The Works' spoiler) 'Enigma'
              peered through in Issue 1. Whether Agatha takes it from her, she
              takes it from Agatha, or somehting completely different I don't know.

              Second, and this is a long pointless speculation, has anyone ever
              heard about how Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
              sometimes writes. He'll come up with a perfect sentence or phrase,
              and the scene where it will be the most humorous, and then create an
              elabrate situation to lead up to that. One example is the entire
              first chapter of 'Life, The Univers, And Everything' was written just
              so he could calmly jot down that they appeared on a couch in the
              middle of the Cricket World Finals and the score was such-and-such.
              Now, how does this relate to Girl Genius #7, you may ask. Foolish
              mortals, re-read the entire fencing machine scene (pgs 21-25), think
              upon this style of writing, and then wonder if the entire scene was
              written JUST so that Mr. Foglio could end it with Gil and Agatha
              looking into each other's eyes with a little heart floating right
              between them.

              Second and a half, who else thought the bit on page 21, where they
              look up into the Lightening Generator while Gil click click clicks
              the trigger was just great?

              Third, did anyone else get a laugh from the fact that the request
              Agatha obeyed from Krospwas to bring in a plate of leftovers? Ha.

              Spoilers
              Galore!
              (For those eMail Digists)

              Man, I STILL can't believe they killed off Gil!!

              Lolly,
              Lolly,
              Lolly.
              Get
              Your
              Spoilers
              Here!

              Lolly,
              Lolly,
              Lolly.
              Get
              Your
              Spoilers
              Here!
            • Joshua Kronengold
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 31 11:40 AM
                gaertk writes:
                >Wow, this series just gets more and more interesting....

                Wow. Yeah, it's really good (and I have the good word that actual
                action, rather than lots of talking and information revelation and
                stuff will be hapening in issues 8 and 9).

                I also do have a leak on what the system for the GG RPG will be, but
                am not sure I should reveal that one yet...

                Josh, posting from Worldcon

                --
                Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 31 2:02 PM
                  At 10:46 PM +0000 8/28/02, gaertk wrote:
                  >Issue #7 is Here!
                  >
                  >Wow, this series just gets more and more interesting....

                  Amen!

                  And... probably not really a spoiler but here's a little warning...

                  Gil could have saved himself SO much headache if only he'd remembered
                  three little words. Three simple little words, whispered into an ear.

                  "I'll Explain Later."

                  Real spoilers now.

                  And really, he can't have it both ways -- either he wants his father
                  to remain ignorant about the _real_ Spark they found in Beetleburg,
                  or Gil wants him to see through Gil's subterfuge. Clearly, he's getting
                  option A, so he shouldn't be so horrified by what his father -does- think
                  is going on.

                  Unless, of course, he's been thinking it as well and doesn't want to admit
                  to it.

                  (I kind of begin to hope that there's a Girl Genius XXXenophile entry
                  someday, with a dream-sequence. Probably only a short one, that gets
                  *POOF*ed into awakeness just as someone's bringing out the Spark-engineered,
                  er, toys.

                  Or maybe a double-feature. One from his dreaming side, one from hers...

                  Then again, maybe an exerpt from "...in the Seraglio of the Iron Sheik"
                  or the "...island of monkey-girls" would also give the right amounts of
                  Sparky smut. O;> )

                  Oh, and if I ever try to translate GG into, say, GURPS, I'm going to have
                  to invent a "Split IQ" stat for people like Othar. A Spark, apparently.
                  Pretty cunning, apparently. THICK AS A ROCK, apparently.

                  Ending spoilers.

                  Well, eventually.

                  Like now.

                  --Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
                  http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
                • Elizabeth McCoy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 31 2:15 PM
                    At 7:27 AM +0000 8/30/02, cabowen80 wrote:
                    >Lolly,
                    >Lolly,
                    >Lolly.
                    >Get
                    >Your
                    >Spoilers
                    >Here!
                    >
                    >Lolly,
                    >Lolly,
                    >Lolly.
                    >Get
                    >Your
                    >Spoilers
                    >Here!
                    >

                    >Man, I can't believe they killed off Gil!

                    But man, did Klaus look good in that black latex catsuit! Mmm-mmm!
                    The JagerGenerals, though, er....

                    >Spoilers
                    >Galore!
                    >
                    >Sorry about that, just freaking out those who were reading this
                    >without reading the book yet.

                    *innocent whistling*

                    >But the outline of the temporal hole that Agatha and Co. were spying
                    >on Bangladesh through was the exact same (even down to the ZZT
                    >noises) as the hole that the (Minor 'The Works' spoiler) 'Enigma'
                    >peered through in Issue 1.

                    We noticed it! But ze spouse had to go back and look to see that it
                    wasn't Yet Another Agatha. Doesn't look like a White Lady (what the heck
                    are they???) either, though.

                    I wonder if White Ladies are connected to the kestle?

                    [...]
                    >Now, how does this relate to Girl Genius #7, you may ask. Foolish
                    >mortals, re-read the entire fencing machine scene (pgs 21-25), think
                    >upon this style of writing, and then wonder if the entire scene was
                    >written JUST so that Mr. Foglio could end it with Gil and Agatha
                    >looking into each other's eyes with a little heart floating right
                    >between them.

                    You know, there's a chance that they're actually half-brother and sister,
                    depending on WHO Klauz's wife is.

                    (And yes, to whomever mentioned it, I liked Othar getting to boggle
                    for the readers' sake. Good touch!)

                    >Second and a half, who else thought the bit on page 21, where they
                    >look up into the Lightening Generator while Gil click click clicks
                    >the trigger was just great?

                    Yes!!!

                    >Third, did anyone else get a laugh from the fact that the request
                    >Agatha obeyed from Krospwas to bring in a plate of leftovers? Ha.

                    Well, it's a cat thing. "Feed Me" shall be the highest commandment
                    or something like that.

                    >Spoilers
                    >Galore!
                    >(For those eMail Digists)
                    >
                    >Man, I STILL can't believe they killed off Gil!!

                    And did you see Von Pinn's frilly parasol? Didn't it match her undies?
                    Still, PINK????

                  • lohquesse@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 31 3:54 PM
                      SPOILERS!!!!!

                      In a message dated 8/31/2002 6:05:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      arcangel@... writes:

                      << >Now, how does this relate to Girl Genius #7, you may ask. Foolish
                      >mortals, re-read the entire fencing machine scene (pgs 21-25), think
                      >upon this style of writing, and then wonder if the entire scene was
                      >written JUST so that Mr. Foglio could end it with Gil and Agatha
                      >looking into each other's eyes with a little heart floating right
                      >between them.

                      You know, there's a chance that they're actually half-brother and sister,
                      depending on WHO Klauz's wife is. >>

                      NOT ANOTHER LUKE AND LEIA!!!!!!

                      'course, they were brother and sister...but STILL!

                      Heh.

                      Lohquesse/Moria
                    • m_randalt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 1, 2002
                        Well yeah, that was a great issue. I agree with everyone and so
                        forth.

                        r space

                        --- In girlgenius@y..., "cabowen80" <cabowen80@j...> wrote:
                        > Lolly,
                        > Lolly,
                        > Lolly.
                        > Get
                        > Your
                        > Spoilers
                        > Here!
                        <snip>

                        > Second and a half, who else thought the bit on page 21, where they
                        > look up into the Lightening Generator while Gil click click clicks
                        > the trigger was just great?

                        Wow, I didn't think that unusual at all. I guess a Spark doesn't
                        mind the occasional spark, wanting only to make the thing work. On
                        page 25, Gil says, "I will not tolerate lax procedures in this lab!"
                        I can guess he was caught up with showing off his toys, earlier.
                        It's love I tells ya!

                        The Heterodyne artifact Gil has reminded me of something I saw on an
                        episode of the BBC show "Black Books." A very funny and surreal show
                        about the adventures of a British bookshop owner & friends, the
                        subplot of one episode concerned Bernard (the shop owner) taking
                        delivery of a number of mysterious black globes. What the things do
                        is unknown until someone flicks a switch and uses a projection as a
                        cigarette lighter. Brilliant!

                        -Randalt
                      • tomreedtoon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2002
                          --- In girlgenius@y..., Elizabeth McCoy <arcangel@i...> wrote things
                          with spoilers. I did not include anything that might be spoiled, only
                          two entries about which I need to comment:

                          > (I kind of begin to hope that there's a Girl Genius XXXenophile entry
                          > someday, with a dream-sequence. Probably only a short one, that gets
                          > *POOF*ed into awakeness just as someone's bringing out the
                          Spark-engineered,
                          > er, toys.

                          Much as I like "XXXenophile," I would really, really like the Foglios
                          to keep Agatha and the main characters out of it. No good, interesting
                          or stimulating erotic fiction was ever written about the Smurfs, or
                          the Archie gang, or any other KID-FRIENDLY comic series. I'd hate to
                          see "Girl Genius" go down that icky, sticky slope. It would also keep
                          organizations like "Friends of Lulu" from recommending GG.

                          > Oh, and if I ever try to translate GG into, say, GURPS...

                          Please, no! The Foglios are authorizing a very nice game of their own.
                          (I presume, since I haven't seen it yet.) Some of the worst game
                          products have come from trying to translate one game system into
                          another. Game system mechanics are designed to replicate the spirit
                          and aesthetics of their subjects. GURPS, the d20 system and the
                          Palladium system, that claim to be universal...aren't. And when they
                          try to be, the result is a mess.

                          And although it wasn't mentioned, I must observe that SCA is
                          remarkably like being in a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Live Cast,
                          except that fishnets are more comfortable than tights, there are
                          usually fewer fleas and mosquitos in movie theatres, and the music is
                          a lot better.
                        • Elizabeth McCoy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 3, 2002
                            At 2:51 PM +0000 9/3/02, tomreedtoon wrote:

                            >> Oh, and if I ever try to translate GG into, say, GURPS...
                            >
                            >Please, no!

                            *cough* Hey, now, if _I_ ever do it for my own nefarious purposes,
                            you probably won't even see the result. I happen to _like_ GURPS,
                            work well with it, and think it could be bent and mangled quite nicely
                            to my own purposes.

                            I mean, I co-authored GURPS Illuminati University, y'know? O:p If
                            IOU doesn't have some kinship with GG, then what _does_?

                            (Drat. We missed a bet. Should have invented the Split IQ stat _THEN_...
                            Oh, well. Didn't have Othar as an inspiration then.)

                            --Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
                            http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
                          • Tim O'Brien
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 3, 2002
                              --- tomreedtoon <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > --- In girlgenius@y..., Elizabeth McCoy
                              > <arcangel@i...> wrote things
                              > with spoilers. I did not include anything that might
                              > be spoiled, only
                              > two entries about which I need to comment:
                              >
                              > > (I kind of begin to hope that there's a Girl
                              > Genius XXXenophile entry
                              > > someday, with a dream-sequence. Probably only a
                              > short one, that gets
                              > > *POOF*ed into awakeness just as someone's bringing
                              > out the
                              > Spark-engineered,
                              > > er, toys.
                              >
                              > Much as I like "XXXenophile," I would really, really
                              > like the Foglios
                              > to keep Agatha and the main characters out of it. No
                              > good, interesting
                              > or stimulating erotic fiction was ever written about
                              > the Smurfs, or
                              > the Archie gang, or any other KID-FRIENDLY comic
                              > series. I'd hate to
                              > see "Girl Genius" go down that icky, sticky slope.
                              > It would also keep
                              > organizations like "Friends of Lulu" from
                              > recommending GG.

                              Never heard of Cherry Poptart, huh? Archie-style
                              naughty send-up.

                              As for the Smurfs; they're gay. Seriously; all male
                              except for one Smurfette!

                              http://finance.yahoo.com
                            • Joshua Kronengold
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002
                                Damien Sullivan writes:
                                >Spoilers now!

                                >Spoilers, I say! Begone!

                                >By the way, if you've only read the issue once, stop and go re-read it.
                                >Really.

                                Yeah -- will want to read it a third time at some point.

                                >So, the plot thickens. Actually, there's actual plot. Woo.

                                Kinda. Still little action...but plenty of plot, and a promise of
                                lots more. :)

                                >Klaus suddenly looks much more villainy.

                                Kinda -- he seems to do the villain thing for fun, but the beneficient
                                overlord thing out of duty.

                                >No, I don't know how Krosp's creator fits into this.

                                He's probably Dr. Dim -- we know of -one- Scientist who was
                                experimented on to the point of ruination [though there was probably
                                more than one, the quality of life might have been better for the
                                others] and one ruined person who used to be a spark. Coincidence? I
                                think not.

                                >But you know what's really interesting? Klaus has Franken-stiches all over
                                >him! We seem them later, when he's shirtless. Well, we don't see them in the
                                >second panel, but they're in the surrounding panels. Construct,
                                >indeed.

                                Ayup -- just as we knew from the game (but now revealed in the comic
                                book!).

                                >Gil's strong and fast and precise. Of course Agatha has
                                >good reflexes and aim too.

                                Sparks in general seem to be hypercompetent. Or maybe it's just
                                Heroic Sparks. :)

                                >Anyway, so they need belts, and Klaus needs locks. Like on Othar's secret
                                >cage.

                                One presumes Othar could pick the lock (with his teeth, yet). He -is-
                                VERY dangerous, after all.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  tomreedtoon writes:
                                  >> Oh, and if I ever try to translate GG into, say, GURPS...
                                  >Please, no! The Foglios are authorizing a very nice game of their
                                  >own.

                                  They are using a pre-existing system. (I do know what system they are
                                  using, and you're not going to like it, but I'm trying to be polite
                                  and not spill the beans publically just now, even if I certainly
                                  didn't promise anything when I was told).

                                  >And although it wasn't mentioned, I must observe that SCA is
                                  >remarkably like being in a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" Live Cast,
                                  >except that fishnets are more comfortable than tights, there are
                                  >usually fewer fleas and mosquitos in movie theatres, and the music is
                                  >a lot better.

                                  I dunno -- T-tunics are probably more comfortable and variable than
                                  fishnets, bug spray is officially period (and many events take place
                                  indoors anyway), and the music in the SCA -is- a lot better, yes.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 5, 2002
                                    --- In girlgenius@y..., Tim O'Brien <merctim@y...> got into my little
                                    post about "Girl Genius" being crossed with "XXXenophile" and how I
                                    thought cute kid-friendly characters are just simply wrong when put
                                    into porn...:

                                    > Never heard of Cherry Poptart, huh? Archie-style
                                    > naughty send-up.

                                    Yeah, heard of it, saw it. Didn't buy the T-shirt. After that basic
                                    joke, there isn't much else. "XXXenophile" is erotica, not porn. The
                                    characters in the Foglio work are full human beings you can like.
                                    Cherry is just a one-note whistle.

                                    > As for the Smurfs; they're gay. Seriously; all male
                                    > except for one Smurfette!

                                    More like pre-sexual, actually. Love, romance, even lust haven't
                                    occurred to them yet. (Kind of like all the girls I've tried to date.)