Not so mad science

  • Karrion
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2005
    • Corgi
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2005
        --- "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
        > http://abc.net.au/animals/program1/factsheet5.htm

        I wanna Russian pet fox! I bet they're just like long-legged corgwn.

        Corgi the Pack Canine
      • jsheikg
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
          > http://abc.net.au/animals/program1/factsheet5.htm

          What intrigues me is that some of the aquired traits cited are also
          traits humans seem to have aquirie.
          Did we domesticate ourselves as well?
        • Blade
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@y...> wrote:
            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
            > > http://abc.net.au/animals/program1/factsheet5.htm
            >
            > What intrigues me is that some of the aquired traits cited are also
            > traits humans seem to have aquirie.
            > Did we domesticate ourselves as well?

            Or do we select in animals things we recognise in ourselves, traits
            *we* see as "civilised"?

            Blade
          • Karrion
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
              the floppy ears were a dead giveaway ;-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                Yeah but is says they only selected based on behaivor. the physical
                traits were things that just happened.

                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blade" <elbereth@d...> wrote:
                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...>
                wrote:
                > > > http://abc.net.au/animals/program1/factsheet5.htm
                > >
                > > What intrigues me is that some of the aquired traits cited are
                also
                > > traits humans seem to have aquirie.
                > > Did we domesticate ourselves as well?
                >
                > Or do we select in animals things we recognise in ourselves, traits
                > *we* see as "civilised"?
                >
                > Blade
              • jsheikg
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Karrion" <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:
                  > Yeah but is says they only selected based on behaivor. the physical
                  > traits were things that just happened.

                  Not really.
                  Creatures that develop under parental care seem to have to be
                  tractable while under care. I think what we are seeing is a form of
                  arrested development on a lot of different levels.