Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Oops...

  • Susan Fox-Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      brooksindy wrote:

      > --- In girlgenius@y..., "highpriestofslagblah" <thug5@o...> wrote:
      > > --- In girlgenius@y..., "Prof. Theodore Gridney (AKA J. Reiher)"
      > > <kedamono@a...> wrote:
      > > > Forgot to define the "No Difference" principle:
      > > >
      > > > "Any difference that makes no difference, makes no difference."
      > >
      > > Sounds like a corollary to Douglas Adams' "Principles of Happening":
      >
      > > Anything that happens, happens.
      > > Anything that, in happening, causes something else to
      > > happen, causes something else to happen.
      > > Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen
      > > again, happens again.
      >

      > The version I first encountered is
      >
      > "A difference that makes no difference IS no difference".
      >
      > First encountered in *the Price of the Phoenix*, *Star Trek* novel by
      > Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath.
      >
      > -Brooks A Rowlett

      Well, okay, since I'm not the only Trek geek here... I thought it was
      "Spock Must Die" by James Blish, the first non-episode-based Star Trek
      novel. The words of "Professor M. Scott of Edinburgh University" if you
      please.

      Susan Fox-Davis
    • fiawol@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
        In a message dated 8/6/02 3:05:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kedamono@...
        writes:

        > I've never read the novel, I give most "Franchise" novels wide berth
        > when I'm looking for a good read. Having said that, my favorite of
        > the Start Trek Franchise novels is _How much for the Planet?_

        Well, "Price of the Phoenix" had the advantage of coming out before anyone
        really thought of "franchise" books, way back in the 70's. Other pretty good
        franchise books before they were really thought of as that is the "Splinter
        of the Mind's Eye" Star Wars book by Alan Dean Foster, and the Han Solo
        novels by Brian Daley.

        Dave
      • Pete Hartman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
          At 06:41 PM 8/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
          >In a message dated 8/6/02 3:05:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kedamono@...
          >writes:
          >
          > > I've never read the novel, I give most "Franchise" novels wide berth
          > > when I'm looking for a good read. Having said that, my favorite of
          > > the Start Trek Franchise novels is _How much for the Planet?_
          > >

          >Well, "Price of the Phoenix" had the advantage of coming out before anyone
          >really thought of "franchise" books, way back in the 70's.

          The edition you're likely to find these days will LOOK like a franchise
          book, but the Price of the Phoenix and the Fate of the Phoenix are
          definitely both in the first wave of trek novels that people had pent up
          looking for publishers. They're excellent (inasmuch as you have tolerance
          for the whole Trek Thang [tm]).