Re: Oops...

  • brooksindy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      --- In girlgenius@y..., "highpriestofslagblah" <thug5@o...> wrote:
      > --- In girlgenius@y..., "Prof. Theodore Gridney (AKA J. Reiher)"
      > <kedamono@a...> wrote:
      > > Forgot to define the "No Difference" principle:
      > >
      > > "Any difference that makes no difference, makes no difference."
      >
      > Sounds like a corollary to Douglas Adams' "Principles of Happening":
      > Anything that happens, happens.
      > Anything that, in happening, causes something else to
      > happen, causes something else to happen.
      > Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen
      > again, happens again.

      The version I first encountered is

      "A difference that makes no difference IS no difference".

      First encountered in *the Price of the Phoenix*, *Star Trek* novel by
      Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath.

      -Brooks A Rowlett
    • Kedamono
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., brooksindy <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        [snippage]

        > The version I first encountered is
        >
        > "A difference that makes no difference IS no difference".
        >
        > First encountered in *the Price of the Phoenix*, *Star Trek*
        > novel by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath.

        I've never read the novel, I give most "Franchise" novels wide berth
        when I'm looking for a good read. Having said that, my favorite of
        the Start Trek Franchise novels is _How much for the Planet?_

        I've always thought ST would do well set to something from Gilbert
        and Sullivan.

        Quote Du Jour: Spock! Spock. Spooock. Some one give the captain a
        pie!