Re: [Girl Genius] Checking In

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
      Kaja Foglio wrote:
      > There is supposed to be a certain change in the way Agatha sees
      >things after she wakes up from loosing the locket and sleeping
      >for a few days, and the black and white to color shift worked for
      >us.

      "Krosp, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore..."

      --
      David Goldfarb <*>|"I'm married to a woman I met through the computer
      goldfarb@... | on the Internet."
      goldfarb@... |"So would I -- we're trying to arrange something
      | now." -- Bizarro
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
        studiofoglio writes:
        >For those of
        >you who don't really want to buy the collection just for the short
        >story--please don't.

        OTOH, you might want to buy the collection for the dedication... :)

        >Issue Seven is at the printers and due out at the end of August.

        Way Cool!

        >Anyhow, there's lots of pretty tech and the cat talks a lot more.
        >We'll never shut him up now.

        Oh, good. Like the cat.

        >We are also working on a Role-Playing sourcebook for Girl Genius,
        >although I'm not sure that I'm supposed to be mentioning the
        >system yet.

        Others may want GURPS. I really want and think that BESM would be
        appropriate, on a huge number of levels.

        Mostly, though, any sourcebook in a storm; the text is lots more important
        than the numbers.

        >shout "It's SCIENCE!". Children are so much fun.

        <laugh>

        >Ugh. No matter how much I edit this thing, it keeps chewing up the
        >formatting. I give up, I'm just posting this the way it is. Sure
        >wish they had a
        >spellchecker on Yahoo.

        Hmm.. I never bother to use Yahoo to post -- I just email stuff in.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
          --- In girlgenius@y..., studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > They're lots of fun and you can teach them to do funny tricks!
          > --Kaja

          Don't you have that backwards?

          With a Youngun gonna be 20 soon, Bill
        • Joshua Kronengold
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
            studiofoglio writes:
            >For those of
            >you who don't really want to buy the collection just for the short
            >story--please don't.

            OTOH, you might want to buy the collection for the dedication... :)

            >Issue Seven is at the printers and due out at the end of August.

            Way Cool!

            >Anyhow, there's lots of pretty tech and the cat talks a lot more.
            >We'll never shut him up now.

            Oh, good. Like the cat.

            >We are also working on a Role-Playing sourcebook for Girl Genius,
            >although I'm not sure that I'm supposed to be mentioning the
            >system yet.

            Others may want GURPS. I really want and think that BESM would be
            appropriate, on a huge number of levels.

            Mostly, though, any sourcebook in a storm; the text is lots more important
            than the numbers.

            >shout "It's SCIENCE!". Children are so much fun.

            <laugh>

            >Ugh. No matter how much I edit this thing, it keeps chewing up the
            >formatting. I give up, I'm just posting this the way it is. Sure
            >wish they had a
            >spellchecker on Yahoo.

            Hmm.. I never bother to use Yahoo to post -- I just email stuff in.

            --
            Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
            --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
            /\\joy on each road, and the sorrow at each turning. |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
            /-\\\I'm sorry if I kept him out too late"--Vlad Taltos '---''(_/--' (_/-'
          • gaertk
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
              --- In girlgenius@y..., studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Er...Hello—
              > Kaja here.

              Welcome back.

              > The collection is in the stores, finally. Usually when things are
              > late it is entirely our fault, this time it wasn't. The Hardcover
              > edition is going to take another month, which I am extremely annoyed
              > about. We are doing a sort of fancy padded cover thing

              Anything else special about the hardcover? Like neat artwork for the
              endpapers? I've just started reading Jeff Smith's Bone series, and
              I noticed his hardcovers have the map, and the softcovers don't (but
              you can get a better version of the map off his website anyway).

              > The collection is the first three issues, and you'll
              > notice that they are still in black and white. Well, brown ink,
              > actually.
              > There are a lot of reasons for this, mostly artistic ones, although
              > the financial end helped us to stick with out convictions. We had
              > originally thought we'd leave them alone, then we planned to have
              > them colored, then decided that we really like them the way they
              > are. There is supposed to be a certain change in the way Agatha
              > sees things after she wakes up from loosing the locket and sleeping
              > for a few days, and the black and white to color shift worked for
              > us.

              Hey, it worked for "Wizard of Oz" :)

              > For those of
              > you who don't really want to buy the collection just for the short
              > story—please don't. There will be other ways to get that
              > material (not as nice as a collection, but what the hey.)

              And of course I don't see this message until 24 hours after I bought
              it. But hey, the tombstones alone are worth 10 bucks.

              Is the next collection going to be three issues too?

              > We're going to continue to be broke for a while, since we will
              > be printing a lot of books in the next year.

              You keep selling out of your books and you're still broke? :(

              Do you have any plans on getting the collections into the chain
              bookstores? Or at least the online ones? I bet there's a ton of
              people like myself who'd love to read this series but have never
              heard of it because they don't shop at comic book stores.

              I'm glad to see that you're offering them in hardcover; that will
              significantly increase your chances of getting them into libraries.

              > Speaking of the Publishing Schedule, it is going to be crazy for the
              > next year. We are reprinting all of the Buck Godot work, as well as
              > Phil's comic book adaptations of Robert Asprin's first
              > MythAdventures novel.

              Cool, that's the second fantasy book I'd ever read (after LOTR). I'll
              probably have to pick up a copy.

              --KG
            • botgrrrl
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
                --- In girlgenius@y..., studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > We are now proud sponsors of an ant-weight fighting 'bot called THEM,
                > built and piloted by Lauren Tozer-Kilts. This is very fun for us
                > because she graciously allowed us to plaster the thing with stickers,
                > turning it into a cute little cartoon 'bot with cigar-chomping ant
                > driver. I'll get pics on the site as soon as I can.

                For those of you who want to see pictures now, you can go to http://people.delphiforums.com/botgrrrl/home.html
                Currently the site is very ugly. I threw it together one night while I couldn't sleep due to the heat. However, there is a pretty site in the works.

                Working with the Foglios has been tons of fun for me too. Kaja is especially enthusiastic. If you saw THEM at the First Act of W.A.R., or at the croquet match, you need to see how THEM has changed since then.

                Tozer-Kilts Robotics is proud to anounce the building of two new bots! We just got the last of the parts in the mail and contruction shall comence soon.

                The first bot will be "Croquet Clank #23". This will not be a competition bot, but a test platform for technologies. This bot will be ever changing, as I test different things. "Croquet Clank #23" is based on a premise Kaja mentioned at the croquet match this last spring. She envisions TPU croquet matches as chaotic affairs with clanks moving wickets and balls **while the match is in progress**. Ol' #23 will be a ball grabbing bot.

                The second bot is another Antweight. My partner saw how much fun I was having with THEM, and, after disdaining the whole bot thing in the first place, then drove the bot, has asked me to build a bot for her. This As of Yet Unamed Bashy-Pushy Bot (AOYUBPB), will be fast and heavily armored. AOYUBPB will be unusual for an Antweight in the fact that it will have four wheel drive.

                If you want to see THEM, AOYUBPB, The Fly (a very interesting) bot made of Gladware bowls (it also happens to be a very good bot too), and a few other bots have at each other in an informal tussel, please attend Dragonflight Gaming Convention during the last week of August.

                Yours in Gourmet Damage,

                The Evil Doctor Tozer
                Cheif Designer, Driver, and Pedicurist
              • secretofblue
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
                  --- In girlgenius@y..., Joshua Kronengold <mneme@i...> wrote:

                  > studiofoglio writes:
                  > >We are also working on a Role-Playing sourcebook for Girl Genius,
                  > >although I'm not sure that I'm supposed to be mentioning the
                  > >system yet.
                  >
                  > Others may want GURPS. I really want and think that BESM would be
                  > appropriate, on a huge number of levels.
                  >
                  > Mostly, though, any sourcebook in a storm; the text is lots more
                  important
                  > than the numbers.

                  ______

                  Hello!

                  Joined the list on Wednesday, and just in time
                  for not only an update on the compilations, but gaming
                  as well!

                  Second vote for BESM. I'm switching over from
                  FORGOTTEN FUTURES to BESM for the Victorian
                  Sci Fi rpg I'm running. Though they have very similar
                  mechanics, BESM is a bit less, well, fatal. Though your
                  mileage may vary. But any source book would be
                  great!

                  And on the topic of gaming, have you thought of a
                  28mm scale set of Official Girl Genius Miniatures? Not
                  that I'm associated with either Eureka or Parroom
                  Station Miniatures, but they both produce extensive
                  VSF lines. New stuff coming out all the time!

                  Legions of CLANKS & JÄGERMONSTERS chasing
                  player-characters across the table. ~sigh~

                  Just a thought.

                  Al.
                • Clint Black
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                    >We are also working on a Role-Playing sourcebook for Girl Genius,
                    >although I'm not sure that I'm supposed to be mentioning the
                    >system yet.

                    Well, I know what it isn’t. Savage Worlds. Though I desperately wish it
                    was. My guess is GURPS. It is, after all, where a proto-Agatha made her
                    first appearance.

                    >By Summer of next year I hope to be caught up enough with the
                    >publishing that I can leave the house and visit the conventions
                    >again. I might even bring the monkey, he has been taught to scream
                    >"Fools, I will destroy them ALL!" and is therefore finally
                    >presentable to our peers. Cheyenne and Savannah also taught him to.
                    >shout "It's SCIENCE!". Children are so much fun.

                    I like it when they get into “yes” mode.

                    Did you have fun today?

                    Yes.

                    Did you play with your friends?

                    Yes.

                    Did you have a good nap?

                    Yes.

                    Did you assassinate Archduke Ferdinand?

                    Yes.

                    Cool.

                    Clint Black
                    “No quote for you!”

                  • Megan Grimm
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                      <snip>

                      > And on the topic of gaming, have you thought of a
                      > 28mm scale set of Official Girl Genius Miniatures?
                      > Not that I'm associated with either Eureka or
                      Parroom
                      > Station Miniatures, but they both produce extensive
                      > VSF lines. New stuff coming out all the time!
                      >
                      > Legions of CLANKS & J�GERMONSTERS chasing
                      > player-characters across the table. ~sigh~
                      >
                      > Just a thought.
                      >
                      > Al.

                      Oh, dear. What a lovely, lovely thought ... and there
                      goes my monthly budget should such a thing actually
                      come to pass ...

                      ... Heck, forget pewter -- give us *action figures*!

                      I can see it now: "Aviator Gil with Kung-Fu grip!
                      Comes with 3/8" spanner and pet goldfish."

                      -- Megan G.

                      =====
                      If it's worth doing, it's worth doing alone.

                      -- Chinese proverb
                    • Alex Jaruk
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                        --- Megan Grimm <zagthaar@...> wrote:
                        > <snip>
                        >
                        > > And on the topic of gaming, have you thought of a
                        > > 28mm scale set of Official Girl Genius Miniatures?
                        > > Not that I'm associated with either Eureka or
                        > Parroom
                        > > Station Miniatures, but they both produce
                        > extensive
                        > > VSF lines. New stuff coming out all the time!
                        > >
                        > > Legions of CLANKS & J�GERMONSTERS chasing
                        > > player-characters across the table. ~sigh~
                        > >
                        > > Just a thought.
                        > >
                        > > Al.
                        >
                        > Oh, dear. What a lovely, lovely thought ... and
                        > there
                        > goes my monthly budget should such a thing actually
                        > come to pass ...
                        >
                        > ... Heck, forget pewter -- give us *action figures*!
                        >
                        > I can see it now: "Aviator Gil with Kung-Fu grip!
                        > Comes with 3/8" spanner and pet goldfish."
                        >
                        > -- Megan G.
                        >
                        > =====
                        > If it's worth doing, it's worth doing alone.
                        >
                        > -- Chinese proverb

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        >
                        > Hey tell phill about that!

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • Adam Benedict Canning
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 9, 2002
                          > > We are also working on a Role-Playing sourcebook for Girl Genius,
                          > > although I'm not sure that I'm supposed to be mentioning the
                          > > system yet.
                          >
                          > OOh this is good news!(hoping for Gurps or Powered by GURPS)

                          I'd rather see a BRP version.

                          I'd have said Space 1889 if the game system wan't quite so bad.

                          Adam