Handle?

  • jsheikg
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
      Is that a hand crank or an offset gunsight?
    • Michael Telford
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
        On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:13 PM, jsheikg wrote:

        > Is that a hand crank or an offset gunsight?

        I think it's a gunsight.
      • Tim Blaes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
          Yes.

          jsheikg <jsheikg@...> wrote:Is that a hand crank or an offset gunsight?

          Metaphors be with you,

          Tim Blaes
        • chembiogrrl
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings@s...> wrote:

            > On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:13 PM, jsheikg wrote:
            >
            > > Is that a hand crank or an offset gunsight?
            >
            > I think it's a gunsight.

            It looks like one in the bottom panel where she's aiming with one eye squeezed shut, but
            its position seems to vary in the other panels. Hmmm. Could it be a crank (like those
            flashlights & radios with a generator) AND a gunsight, when fixed at top dead center?

            --Kathryn
          • Karrion
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2005
              Pretty sure it's a handcrank. Looks dead on to how most old style
              camera cranks are drawn. If fact didn't Phil put one on the front of
              one of the circus wagons like that?
              And as one who shoots every so often, it'd be almost useless as a
              sight. More useful as a carry handle in fact.

              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...> wrote:
              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings@s...>
              wrote:

              > > On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:13 PM, jsheikg wrote:
              > >
              > > > Is that a hand crank or an offset gunsight?
              > >
              > > I think it's a gunsight.
              >
              > It looks like one in the bottom panel where she's aiming with one
              eye squeezed shut, but
              > its position seems to vary in the other panels. Hmmm. Could it be a
              crank (like those
              > flashlights & radios with a generator) AND a gunsight, when fixed at
              top dead center?

              > --Kathryn
            • Tim Blaes

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                  If the blast were that large Zeetha would havegotten cooked along
                  with the 'horse'. Grantedit's a different gun but seems to be built
                  from the same basic plan. Even a shotgun needs sights. I just assume
                  Agatha's not experienced enough with weapons to realise she needs
                  them. The picture looks like she's sighting down the barrel with the
                  other eye closed. Not accurate but it'll work.
                  But let's experiment. Take a piece of pipe and tape an icecream
                  stick or chopstick to it at a right angle to the 'barrel'. Or even
                  easier, a straight pin stuck into the side of a pencil. Bend it to a
                  crank shape if you want. Now, try to use it as a sight. For starters
                  there is (as has already been pointed out) no front sight. If she
                  tries to use the frontof the barrel as a frontsight all her shots
                  will be 20deg or so off. Sights work by aligning the back of the
                  barrel(back sight), front of the barrel(front sight) and the target
                  in a straight line. Adjustments must be made by the shooter for
                  projectile drop, taget moverment(called 'leading' the target) and in
                  some cases wind. Not that that'd be a problem for an energy weapon
                  or whatever that is.

                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Tim Blaes <tinrat07@y...> wrote:
                  > I still think it could be both. If the blast area on that BDG is
                  wide enough it proobably wouldn't need a sight, but Agatha might be
                  using the handcrank as one out of reflex.

                  > Karrion <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:Pretty sure it's a handcrank.
                  Looks dead on to how most old style
                  > camera cranks are drawn. If fact didn't Phil put one on the front
                  of
                  > one of the circus wagons like that?
                  > And as one who shoots every so often, it'd be almost useless as a
                  > sight. More useful as a carry handle in fact.
                  >

                  > Metaphors be with you,
                  >
                  > Tim Blaes
                • jsheikg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Tim Blaes <tinrat07@y...> wrote:
                    > I still think it could be both. If the blast area on that BDG is
                    wide enough it proobably wouldn't need a sight, but Agatha might be
                    using the handcrank as one out of reflex.

                    > Karrion <darthkarrion@e...> wrote:Pretty sure it's a handcrank.
                    Looks dead on to how most old style
                    > camera cranks are drawn. If fact didn't Phil put one on the front of
                    > one of the circus wagons like that?
                    > And as one who shoots every so often, it'd be almost useless as a
                    > sight. More useful as a carry handle in fact.

                    If the handle is a sighting device it may incorporate a wide prisim
                    like device, probably with a width scale. This indicates that she has
                    an adjustable blast and/or beam width. If it's true, it's cool.
                  • Bill Jackson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...> wrote:
                      > It looks like one in the bottom panel where she's aiming with one
                      eye squeezed shut, but
                      > its position seems to vary in the other panels. Hmmm. Could it be a
                      crank (like those
                      > flashlights & radios with a generator) AND a gunsight, when fixed at
                      top dead center?

                      > --Kathryn

                      It looks more like a hand crank to me. Maybe she has to wind the
                      spring, or the dynamo, or sping up the flywhel, or something.
                    • Bill Jackson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2005
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...> wrote:

                        > It looks like one in the bottom panel where she's aiming with one
                        eye squeezed shut, but
                        > its position seems to vary in the other panels. Hmmm. Could it be a
                        crank (like those
                        > flashlights & radios with a generator) AND a gunsight, when fixed at
                        top dead center?

                        > --Kathryn

                        Oh, what a minute! I had a gun like that, the hand crank is to make
                        the sparks shoot out and the "Ak-ak-ak-ak" sound...