Re: [Girl Genius] How to impersonate Phil Foglio for Fun and Giggles

  • brooksindy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In girlgenius@y..., fiawol@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/1/02 4:18:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      kedamono@a...
      > writes:
      >

      > > So at the next convention, don your Phil disguise and see how many
      > > ravening fan boys you can fool. (Didn't meet any ravening fan girls,
      > > drat the luck...)
      > > --
      > ... you'd
      > be amazed at what people can think at conventions, especially if you
      tell
      > them you're not who they think you are.

      On this subject, I think some caution is in order. Since Nick P was a
      willing co-conspirator, and no harm was meant, it is probably OK, but
      the Locus website has a letter from Tanya Huff:

      "Dear Locus,
      "... there's a woman impersonating me in chat rooms -- she says
      she has four kids, lives in NY, is a statistician and writes under the
      name Tanya Huff. Fortunately she ran into someone who knows me.
      It's easy to tell if you've run into the real Tanya Huff. I NEVER go
      into chat rooms. Haven't yet, don't plan to. So if you run into anyone
      in a chat room who says she's me, she isn't. And if you do, please
      tell the room administrator.
      "I'm remembering the trouble Diane Duane had a few years ago,
      back before we were all linked electronically, and am having minor
      hysterics.
      "Thanks."

      "Tanya Huff
      "29 May 2000"

      Shortly after Diane Duane married Peter Morwood and moved to Ireland,
      a woman began showing up at conventions claiming to be Diane Duane.
      This led to all sorts of confusion, and she was eventually caught and
      received psychiatric treatment. The details were never made very
      clear and the somewhat guarded version of the story is no longer
      available on Diane Duane's home page.

      I think some caution is in order about pretending to be someone
      notable at a convention (or in other contexts too!).

      -Brooks
    • John H. Reiher Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
        At 4:18 AM +0000 7/2/02, brooksindy wrote:

        >I think some caution is in order about pretending to be someone
        >notable at a convention (or in other contexts too!).

        In my case I can blame Nick. He started it by calling me Phil. I was
        not dressed up as Phil, but as one of the droogs from Clockwork
        Orange, including the one eye done up with false lashes, and a small
        happy face mask you-know-where. That the fans thought I was Phil in
        that getup either tells us how credulous they are or how little they
        know of their cultural icons...
        --
        Kedamono@...

        http://www.ahtg.net
        "Another one of them new worlds.
        No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
        Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
        tin cans."
        ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
        Forbidden Planet