How to impersonate Phil Foglio for Fun and Giggles

  • John H. Reiher Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      Step one: Be of average height and stout build. Also, be of the male
      gender, unless you think you can get away with it...

      Step two: By a bowler hat.

      Now you're ready to impersonate Phil at Cons. Does this work?
      Well,... Yes it does. It also helps if you can convince an author to
      call you Phil in front of people. I was at a Norwescon with Nick
      Pollotta and he called me Phil in front of several people. And Phil
      wasn't at that con that I remember. So I did my best "Hiya! I'm Phil
      Foglio! voice and talked to ravening fans. I didn't sign anything,
      feigning a wrist injury, but I did answer many questions:

      Q: Is there a Dixie in real life?

      A: Yes, she works at Deja Vue and models during the day. She charges
      reasonable rates for her "modeling".

      Q: What the heck is the Winslow?

      A: Just a second, while I channel him... Hiya! Hiya! Hiya! There did
      that answer you question.

      Q: Are you really Phil Foglio? You're a lot heavier than I thought you'd be.

      A: Why thank you, but when you're an artist like me, sitting on your
      butt moving a pencil is not a lot of hard work, let alone that box of
      cheese whiz and crate of ritz crackers by my drawing board.

      Q: Really, are you Phil?

      A: Hey Nick, I'm Phil right?

      Nick: What? Oh yeah, sure you're Phil.

      So at the next convention, don your Phil disguise and see how many
      ravening fan boys you can fool. (Didn't meet any ravening fan girls,
      drat the luck...)
      --
      Kedamono@...

      http://www.ahtg.net
      "Another one of them new worlds.
      No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
      Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
      tin cans."
      ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
      Forbidden Planet