Re: books

  • tomreedtoon
    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In girlgenius@y..., arondell <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Thats something of an exaggeration. I doubt very much that most
      > authors estates don't have copies of every work a given author has
      > ever published. To use the loss of of an authors works to future
      > generations as a good reason for copyright theft is morally a
      rather
      > weak argument regardless of the practical results.

      Tell you what. Go out some weekend to your local book store and try
      to find a copy of Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man." Then scour
      every used bookstore within ten miles, as I had to, before I found
      one worn-out paperback copy. Then tell me about how available books
      are. (And I chose an easy case. I could have assigned you to hunt up
      Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot.")
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 48 of 48 , Jun 16, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., Marci DeLeon <agent_a_99@y...> wrote about a
        pleasant change of topic:

        > Thinking about it...science would be very interesting
        > in the GG-verse. Science IRL is very heavily
        > dependent on discussion and knowing what your
        > collegaues have done and how they did it. Who was it
        > that said, "I am tall because I stand on the shoulders
        > of giants?" It's very true in IRL science.
        >
        > But how much collaboration can there really be in the
        > GGverse? There's certainly no impetus to share, ad
        > many very good reasons not to. It makes you wonder if
        > Wulfenbach didn't set out to conquer the world just so
        > he could look over everyone else's shoulders.

        There is some sharing, otherwise there wouldn't be universities. But
        not a lot. And that's bound to lead to trouble. (See the preamble to
        Michael Crichton's book "Jurasssic Park" for this topic as it applies
        to genetic engineering.)

        Which means that one of the reason the mads haven't beaten Wulvenbach
        might be that, to do what their colleagues have done, they've had to
        duplicate research. And they aren't socially competent enough (or
        smart enough) to plant spies in each other's labs, even to save
        effort.

        Y'know, the Sparks have been shown as egotistic, self-centered and
        arrogant. Some people in this forum have taken these, tongue-in-
        cheek, as virtues. Here's an example of why they aren't.