RE: [Girl Genius] SF page update

  • Thug
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2002
      > Studio Foglio has updated their page as of 6th May, with a
      > remembrance of the Hindenburg tragedy, and news that Girl Genius
      > issue #6 comes out later this month. Grr-eat!
      > (well, not great about the Hindenburg, but the wait for new GG is
      > less than I thought)

      Is it wise for the Foglios to use the name "Airship Entertainment" given the
      history of this mode of transport? None of us want to see GG or any of their
      other projects crash and burn like the poor old Hindenburg!

      And just what did that reporter mean when he said "Oh, the humanity!"
      anyway?

      Michael
    • John Teehan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2002
        On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thug wrote:

        > Is it wise for the Foglios to use the name "Airship Entertainment" given the
        > history of this mode of transport? None of us want to see GG or any of their
        > other projects crash and burn like the poor old Hindenburg!
        >

        > And just what did that reporter mean when he said "Oh, the humanity!"
        > anyway?

        You had to be there.

        Failing that, listen to the broadcast and hear the guy's voice. It's
        pretty clear what he means in context. In another context he might have
        said, "the horror... the horror"

        --John Teehan
        tumble@...
        http://www.sff.net/people/jdteehan
      • Thug
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2002
          > > And just what did that reporter mean when he said "Oh, the humanity!"
          > > anyway?
          >
          > You had to be there.
          >
          > Failing that, listen to the broadcast and hear the guy's voice. It's
          > pretty clear what he means in context. In another context he might have
          > said, "the horror... the horror"

          Well, quite. But his vocabulary obviously let him down due to his heightened
          emotional state. Because what he says makes no grammatical sense at all
          given all the standard meanings of "humanity".

          But then we've all been there. Neil Armstrong managed to fluff his line as
          he stepped onto the moon's surface too! (He was told to stay "This is one
          small step for _A_ man, one giant leap for mankind.")

          And at the risk of moving a little into the realms of bad taste, it's not as
          bad as the voice over I remember from the Challenger Space Shuttle
          explosion... "We appear to have a major malfunction." Yeah, I think we all
          spotted that thanks...

          Michael
        • John Teehan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2002
            On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thug wrote:
            > > Failing that, listen to the broadcast and hear the guy's voice. It's
            > > pretty clear what he means in context. In another context he might have
            > > said, "the horror... the horror"
            >
            > Well, quite. But his vocabulary obviously let him down due to his heightened
            > emotional state. Because what he says makes no grammatical sense at all
            > given all the standard meanings of "humanity".

            It was probably a coloquial usage of the time.

            As I recall, the broadcaster lost his job over the unprofessional manner
            in which he reported the tragedy.

            > But then we've all been there. Neil Armstrong managed to fluff his line as
            > he stepped onto the moon's surface too! (He was told to stay "This is one
            > small step for _A_ man, one giant leap for mankind.")

            Better than I would have done... "this is one small step... shit! I'm on
            the moon!"

            > And at the risk of moving a little into the realms of bad taste, it's not as
            > bad as the voice over I remember from the Challenger Space Shuttle
            > explosion... "We appear to have a major malfunction." Yeah, I think we all
            > spotted that thanks...

            The major malfunction was occupying space in the White House at the time.
            Perceptive, those fellows.

            Lessee... I was on the second floor, in a hallway, Craig-Lee Hall at Rhode
            Island College when I got the news.

            --John Teehan
            tumble@...
            http://www.sff.net/people/jdteehan
          • John H. Reiher Jr.
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2002
              At 5:14 PM +0100 5/7/02, Thug wrote:

              >Is it wise for the Foglios to use the name "Airship Entertainment" given the
              >history of this mode of transport? None of us want to see GG or any of their
              >other projects crash and burn like the poor old Hindenburg!

              Funny you should mention that... It seems that the Hindenburg went up
              like a ball of yellow flame, not because of the hydrogen in its
              balloonettes, but because they painted the cotton panels of the skin
              with what amounts to rocket fuel. Also, the panels are were not
              properly grounded, causing them to build up a charge that caused the
              fire on the skin.

              http://www.engineer.ucla.edu/releases/blimp.htm

              http://www.fas.org/spp/civil/congress/1998/s981006-zep.htm

              >And just what did that reporter mean when he said "Oh, the humanity!"
              >anyway?

              I've always taken it to mean all those poor people caught inside of
              the burning wreck, which by the way was only 36 people out of 97.
              --
              ------------------------
              Kedamono@...

              http://www.ahtg.net
              ------------------------
              "Another one of them new worlds.
              No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
              Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
              tin cans."
              ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
              Forbidden Planet
            • ophelia@san.rr.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 2002
                ERROR: Neil Armstrong did not flub his line. NASA satellite technology being what it was,
                there was a momentary hiccough in the transmission which resulted in an alteration of
                Armstrong's reading of his lines.

                Fluff was not the appropriate word for your usage; you flubbed that one.

                Fluffing is something one does with laundry or on location when filming porn. Fluff is also a
                term denoting airy, feel good non-news items that creep into our media sub-culture to make
                everyone feel better about his otherwise drab, mundane life.

                Everybody makes mistakes, but please don't pass along misinformation.

                Pam Matthews
                Grumpy Bitch from Hell (or San Diego)

              • baralier@optusnet.com.au
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2002
                  > ophelia@... <ophelia@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > ERROR: Neil Armstrong did not flub his line. NASA satellite
                  > technology being what it was,
                  > there was a momentary hiccough in the transmission which resulted in
                  > an alteration of
                  > Armstrong's reading of his lines.

                  Granted

                  > Fluff was not the appropriate word for your usage; you flubbed that
                  > one.
                  >
                  > Fluffing is something one does with laundry or on location when
                  > filming porn. Fluff is also a
                  > term denoting airy, feel good non-news items that creep into our
                  > media sub-culture to make
                  > everyone feel better about his otherwise drab, mundane life.
                  >
                  > Everybody makes mistakes, but please don't pass along misinformation.

                  However:
                  http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=fluff
                  Definition 5

                  and

                  http://www.macnet.mq.edu.au:8008/anonymous0C47901271+2/-/macshowrecord
                  /1/1
                  Definitions 3 & 7

                  Always happy to correct and provide references.

                  Baralier
                  --
                  Pedantic Bastard
                  If you steal from one person, it's plagiarism. If you steal from many, it's research
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2002
                    > ERROR: Neil Armstrong did not flub his line. NASA satellite
                    > technology being what it was, there was a momentary hiccough
                    > in the transmission which resulted in an alteration of
                    > Armstrong's reading of his lines.

                    Well, I doubt he was reading it... unless he had a post-it note stuck on the
                    inside of his helmet!

                    Oh wait... you'll probably tell me I'm being silly because post-it notes
                    hadn't been invented yet. <grin>

                    > Fluff was not the appropriate word for your usage; you flubbed that one.

                    Baralier has already provided you with links to show that my usage is
                    perfectly acceptable, and I'm particularly pleased that he included a link
                    using the Macquarie Australian Dictionary. Colloquialisms are always more
                    regional, and thus something the global internet community has trouble with.

                    > Everybody makes mistakes, but please don't pass along misinformation.

                    Well, as is usually the case in these little "disagreements" I'm simply
                    reporting the facts as I have been informed of them, as no doubt you are. My
                    source is "Fame in the 20th Century" by Clive James. What's yours?

                    And I have to say, if you listen to the rhythm of Armstrong's speech, I
                    can't can't hear any break in transmission that sucked up the missing "A".
                    There's some awful static in the second part of the sentence, but the first
                    half sounds fine with no unnatural pauses.

                    Wouldn't it be terrible to be an evil genius with some sort of speech
                    impediment? There you are, in mid-rant about how you'll "show them all",
                    when your dyslexia suddenly kicks in and something completely silly comes
                    out of your mouth. Luckily, only Igor was there as your audience...

                    Michael