8052Lem: "Fiasco"

  • pmaclanderson
    Jan 4, 2005
      Thank you; a very nice work of hard SF, which I had not read. I think
      I went through Lem before it had been translated.

      A novel of first contact, among other things. One of the characters,
      both a Jesuit and a scientific rationalist, argues from the plurality
      of inhabited worlds that either there must be an "absurd" plurality
      of Resurrections, or worlds entirely fallen.

      The human characters, who have as much of a technological edge as any
      Spark, also demonstrate to what follies empire can fall. I should
      note that the Jesuit dissents....

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Ryo Hoshi" <hoshiryo@a...> wrote:
      There are still,
      > amazingly enough, those who believe in Lamarck's theories.

      You have my sympathy, of course.

      > [snip]
      > > The uniqueness of the Resurrection
      [snip]

      > Actually... Another method of dealing with this turns up in
      > Stanislaw Lem's novel, 'Fiasco.'

    • Show all 35 messages in this topic