78741RE: RE: RE: RE: That sound you hear

  • spottedkittyuk
    Oct 15, 2013
      ---In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, <girlgenius@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I read that Niven story years ago. The invention was, IIRC, the opposite of a stasis field, because the person inside the field experienced time running faster than on the outside.

      ---

      Drat, wrong Niven story. I meant the ones with the Slaver stasis fields, which could also be used as a last-ditch emergency button on their spacesuits. The off switch was on the back, a few nanometres outside the field. Safety tip: slamming a suit in stasis into an icy moon at 0.9c then letting it sit under accumulating ice for a billion years may damage the off switch (and possibly void the warranty)...

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic