42276Re: Internet?

  • chembiogrrl
    Mar 4, 2007
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:

      > > Given the tech level we've seen, telegraphs are perfectly possible,
      > <snip>
      >
      > In fact the telegraph is so simple it would be hard *not* to invent.
      > It would qualify, like the steam tractors, as non-Spark technology.
      > It is also quite robust.
      >
      > So we actually need a reason for the telegraph *not* to exist.

      Funny you should mention that, given today's 101 page:

      http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20070302

      Putting up telegraph wires through the Wastelands just isn't feasible.
      My impression is that most of Europa is Wasteland, dotted with
      villages, towns, and cities. If some Spark was sufficiently determined
      to defend a telegraph installation crew, some monster would probably
      blunder along and knock down a pole or break the wire. Sure, my county
      loses its fiber-optic line to the outside world for a day or two every
      month or so, but our repairmen have a much safer job. Bears, mountain
      lions, and sasquatches aren't nearly as deadly as the Monster Horse or
      the crab-clank that fried Olga.

      --Kathryn
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic