3053Shuttle Down

  • John H. Reiher Jr.
    Feb 1, 2003
      From another news group:

      At 10:50 AM -0500 2/1/03, Garry wrote:
      >http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/01/shuttle.columbia/index.html
      >
      >Not much to say at this point. But with the current crop of
      >bloodsuckers, I think we can kiss space goodbye.

      Not quite yet, not while there is people like us around. And besides,
      there are people still up on the International Space Station and
      while the bloodsuckers might want to kill it, the Russians will
      gladly keep it going. That in and of itself will keep us in space.

      I'm watching Dan Rather declaring that the crew died as heros. Not
      wanting to sound cynical, they were doing their job, a job that they
      loved. Heros? Maybe.

      Any way, after seeing the break up for the umpteenth time and at
      least one Challenger playback, the Columbia must have had a "zipper
      event", something they have been worrying about for years. A tile, in
      this case a leading tile on a wing, went and the force of reentry
      caused the rest of the tiles behind it to strip off and do so
      violently.

      The wing would then shear off and that's would be it for the Columbia.

      In any case let's all say our prayers for the astronauts and hope it was quick.
      --
      ------------------------
      Kedamono@...

      http://www.ahtg.net

      Kedamono@...

      http://www.ahtg.net
      "Another one of them new worlds.
      No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
      Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
      tin cans."
      ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
      Forbidden Planet