      dizzydava=
      I'm also quite fond of the beetle-shaped dingbot that looks a bit
      like a lady bug (ladybird for all you non-Southerners).
      --gearweasle comments:
      I grew up in Kentucky and transplanted to Minnesota; we only
      called 'em ladybugs in both places. Maybe its a mid-western thing...
      ---Dava replies:
      Yeah! I was surprised at how many people commented on that! Maybe
      it's just people from New England who call them that. I've seen odd
      looks before when I called them ladybugs.

      dizzydava=
      Are Agatha'a eyes blue or green?
      --gearweasle comments:
      Green is my position. You may note, in Issue 4, when Moloch clamps
      his hands over her mouth, it's rendered in a blue, but I think that
      was just to keep the whites prominently shocked, as the gradients of
      the eyeballs were blue; the entire eyes were a greyscale in blue to
      emphasize white fright. The next page, her eyes are green. Also, in
      GG:the Works she has green eyes on the Agatha card-value 5. And
      Laurie Smith renders them green in the short story, "The Electric
      Coffin". Mostly, I think the blue possibilities only come from being
      behind blue-colored glasses.
      ---Dava retorts:
      I think it's just a continuity error. ;) Even in the new flashback
      scene, her eyes switch from blue to green to blue again, without her
      wearing any glasses. The only excuse I could come up with is that
      she has eyes that shade of blue that appears to change color
      according to what she's wearing. Then again, that doesn't explain
      why her locket is silver in some pictures. :P

      dizzydava=
      I adore all the dingbot/mimmoth scenes. I know the dingbots qualify
      as pests, so I'm expecting the little guys to overrun Europe.
      --gearweasle comments:
      As to overpopulating pests, they seem to suffer from "Xerox effect"--
      that's to say, the later copies are inferior to the originals and so
      on. Personally, I think they just wanna hang with Miss Clay.
      ---Dava replies:
      True! Who wouldn't? Even if they're inferior, I can still see them
      multiplying quickly. Maybe they build better dingbots every now and
      then, if only by accident! Can't you imagine the hilarity of
      dingbots overrunning Europe, though? A poor peasant couple wakes up
      only to find their pneumatic toaster is broken, and parts of it run
      by in new form, wrench in hand. How will they make their waffles?

      dizzydava=
      Even the coloring was better than usual (I am, admittedly, _not_ a
      fan of computerized coloring). And the sculpture at the end was
      cool! Should we all start sending pics of Agatha idols we've crafted
      at home?
      --gearweasle comments:
      OOOO! At shot at McNabb!
      ---Dava replies:
      No, no! It's not a shot at McNabb! I'm just a bit of a comic
      purist, I guess. By and large, I don't care for computerized
      coloring. It works well in a few formats, like when the characters
      are all mechanical (Transformers look great with computer-coloring).
      There are also people who render their entire work on the computer,
      and the viewer is none the wiser (Brian Bolland, you are a god!!).
      For the most part, though, I don't care for it. I like it when
      colorists sit down with markers and pots of paint instead of a
      monitor and mouse. I think organic characters deserve to be colored
      by hand. It makes them more human, somehow. (And don't get me
      started on ink work!)

      As for the iconography, I was asking whether we should send pictures
      to StudioFoglio. LOL! But I don't see any reason why we couldn't
      post the pictures here for everyone to see!

      Dava
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic