RE: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] GIL IS ON BALLOT -WRITE HALL NOW

  • Martin Axel
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
      WHERE DO I SIGN!

      To: gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com
      From: sarichef11747@...
      Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 05:06:00 -0700
      Subject: Re: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] GIL IS ON BALLOT -WRITE HALL NOW

      my wife suggested a petition for Gil. any thoughts?

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2011
        I have he address to write to hall on other messages--from my head it BASEBALL HALL OF FAME, GOLDEN ERA COMMITTEE, 25 MAIN STREET, COOPERSTOWN, NY zip slips my mind--actually am typing this in ALBANY , NY --60 MILES FROM COOPERSTOWN--DEC 5 IS ELECTION SO GET YOUR LETTERS IN BY 11/30/2011

        --- In gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com, Martin Axel <mgaax@...> wrote:

        > WHERE DO I SIGN!
        >
        > To: gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com
        > From: sarichef11747@...
        > Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 05:06:00 -0700
        > Subject: Re: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] GIL IS ON BALLOT -WRITE HALL NOW

        > my wife suggested a petition for Gil. any thoughts?

        > ________________________________

      • Ira S.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
                 .
                                                                                              Melville,
          New York  11747
                                                                                              coachira1946@...
                                                                                              20
          November 2011

          Golden
          Era Committee
          Baseball
          Hall of Fame
          25
          Main Street
          Cooperstown,
          New York 13326

          Dear
          Sirs:

          am writing this letter to endorse the election of Gilbert Ray Hodges to the
          Baseball Hall of Fame. I am sixty-five years old and saw Gil Hodges play in
          Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. He was not the star of a team that featured Hall of
          Famers Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese.  However, he was the quiet man who was the
          glue of the team that won pennants in 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956.
          They lost to the Phillies on the last day of the 1950 season and lost to Bobby
          Thompson’s shot heard round the world in 1951. Think about the dominance of
          those Dodger teams in that period.

          could talk about his statistics all day, but I will only mention that at his
          retirement he held the National League career record for grand slams and was
          the leading or second leading career leader in home runs for a right hand
          batter. Keep in mind, when Duke Snider retired, his 407 home runs were ninth or
          tenth all-time, and all the great power hitters were left handed batters. This
          meant that they were facing predominantly right handed pitching. Gil was also
          facing the same predominantly right hand pitching. Gil batted cleanup in the
          great Dodger batting order and consistently drove in over a hundred runs a
          season. He was a wonderful fielding first baseman and won golden glove awards.

          After
          he came to the Mets in the twilight of his career, I was at the Polo Grounds
          when he hit a home run off Warren Spahn’s Braves to win one of the Mets’ forty
          games that year. He had very little playing ability left, but it was great to
          have him back home in New York.

          After
          his playing career, he became a major league manager. He brought the Washington
          Senators to respectability, and the Mets traded a player for him to become
          their manager. I will never forget being on my Coast Guard cutter in dry-dock
          in Baltimore when Cleon Jones caught the final out in the 1969 World Series.

          Gil
          Hodges was the best first baseman in the National League in the 1950s, period!
          That alone should meet the qualifications of your committee. He served his
          country in World War II and became a pillar of the community in Brooklyn. He
          was a solid citizen and role model, which cannot be said for many of our
          athletes today. He was an outstanding leader and he showed that when he took a
          team of perennial losers to the top of the baseball world in 1969. He has
          received the most votes of any player not in the Hall of Fame. His only flaw
          was that he was not a flashy player and never the center of attention on a team
          of great ballplayers. He was so beloved in Brooklyn that people prayed for him
          when he had a terrible slump in the 1952 World Series. There is a player in the
          Hall named Dave Winfield, whose owner gave him the nickname of Mr. May because
          of a terrible 1981 World Series. Winfield is well deserving of the Hall of
          Fame, as he was a terrific player. The people of Brooklyn would have never
          thought that of Gil.

          Gilbert
          Ray Hodges belongs in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He has exhibited exceptional
          skills in the hitting and fielding of a baseball. He exhibited his leadership
          skills by being an extraordinary manager, whose career was cut short by his untimely
          death.  He was a model citizen, a role
          model for young people and a fine representative of major league baseball.

          This
          is his last opportunity for admission to the Hall. Please make the right
          decision and select Gil Hodges for the Baseball Hall of Fame. There are many
          people of my generation who are still praying for him.

          Thank
          you.
          Respectfully
          yours,

          Ira
          Stolzenberg

        • bklynbum14
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 23, 2011
            --- In gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com, "Ira S."
            <sarichef11747@...> wrote:

            > NONE OF LETTERS CAME THRU SO I DELETED ALL---SEND LETTER TO ME VIA
            HOTMAIL--MAYBE I CAN GET IT HERE