Re: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL AWARD--HALL DEFINITION

  • Ira S.
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
      Well, Gil served in WWII, was a pillar of the Brooklyn community in which the team played, was a role model for which people prayed for him to break out of a slump, brought a team from 9th place to win an improbable World Series  which certainly broadened the appeal of the game of baseball as millions of people (including non-fans) followed the team in the summer of '69 -at a time when the country needed something like the Amazins- and displayed the traits of admirable character, integrity and  dignity that the game could certainly use today. Plus he was a hell of a ballplayer.

      I think I have a frame work for a letter to Mr. Morgan at the Hall.

      Ira

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2009
        I will got on this soon! Thanks for the criteria info.
        jim d

        To: gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.comFrom: no_reply@yahoogroups.comDate: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:44:48 +0000Subject: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL AWARD--HALL DEFINITION

        The Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award will honor an individual whose extraordinary efforts enhanced baseball's positive impact on society, has broadened the game's appeal, and whose character, integrity and dignity are comparable to the qualities exhibited by O'Neil. I think we can say GIL fits the mold here--the above came from HALL site & remember BUCK stated at the HALL-GIL deserves to be in HALL--how fitting for GIL to be first recipient now in 2009 or 2010--HALL can do when they want--Write Joe Morgan at HALL to get this done for GIL.

      • bklynbum14
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2009
          --- In gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com, JJ Danaher
          <jjdanaher@...> wrote:

          > DO NOT FORGET -GIL ELECTED INTO MARINE CORPS ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME
          IN 2007---HE-TOM SEAVER--TED WILLIAMS ARE THE FEW BASEBALL PLAYERS
          IN THIS ELETE HALL
          > I will got on this soon! Thanks for the criteria info.
          > jim d
          >

          > To: gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@...: no_reply@...: Tue, 13 Jan 2009
          22:44:48 +0000Subject: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL
          AWARD--HALL DEFINITION

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
            there is an article in Newsday today that the government should put� pressure on Citigroup and the Mets to void the naming rights contract of Citifield (because of the bailout).. The writer suggested naming the park Gil Hodges Field, since he played in Brooklyn and managed in Queens.

            It probably will not happen, but wouldn't that be great?

            Ira�

            � �

            > DO NOT FORGET -GIL ELECTED INTO MARINE CORPS ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME

            IN 2007---HE-TOM SEAVER--TED WILLIAMS ARE THE FEW BASEBALL PLAYERS

            IN THIS ELETE HALL

            > I will got on this soon! Thanks for the criteria info.

            > jim d

            > To: gilhodgeshalloffame support@. ..: no_reply@... : Tue, 13 Jan 2009

            22:44:48 +0000Subject: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL

            AWARD--HALL DEFINITION

            > The Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award will honor an

            individual whose extraordinary efforts enhanced baseball's positive

            impact on society, has broadened the game's appeal, and whose

            character, integrity and dignity are comparable to the qualities

            exhibited by O'Neil. I think we can say GIL fits the mold here--the

            above came from HALL site & remember BUCK stated at the HALL-GIL

            deserves to be in HALL--how fitting for GIL to be first recipient

            now in 2009 or 2010--HALL can do when they want--Write Joe Morgan at

            HALL to get this done for GIL.

            > Windows Live� Hotmail�: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.

            > http://windowslive. com/howitworks?

            ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_t1_hm_ justgotbetter_ howitworks_ 012009

          • JJ Danaher
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
              If only!!
              I have a question while we're at it----If Gil should receive this Buck O'Neil recognition, is he then in the Hall of Fame or is he just the recipient of a nice honor?
              http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208

            • bklynbum14
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2009
                <jjdanaher@...> wrote:
                >I BELIEVE HE IS IN THE HALL OF FAME---DO NOT KNOW PARTICULARS--WHAT
                KIND OF PLAQUE--WHERE IT WOULD BE--BUT BUCK IS IN THE HALL OF FAME--I
                AM SURE THESE DETAILS ARE ON THE HALL INTERNET SITE--IF NOT WE COULD
                ASK

                > If only!!
                > I have a question while we're at it----If Gil should receive this
                Buck O'Neil recognition, is he then in the Hall of Fame or is he just
                the recipient of a nice honor?
                > http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?
                ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208

              • John
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 9, 2009
                  He'd be the recipient of a nice honor. To be "in the Hall of Fame" one
                  would have to have his plaque hanging with the others in the "Hall"
                  (between Snider and Eddie Mathews would be a good spot).

                  John

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                    I had a feeling....I didn't think there was any other way in for him but through the Vet. Com.---that will be a tough task, but worth the effort. He certainly becomes an even better candidate in light of the recent headlines concerning modern day "stars"...

                    jim

                    To: gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com
                    From: johnvilla50@...
                    Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:57:52 +0000

                    <jjdanaher@...> wrote:

                    > If only!!
                    > I have a question while we're at it----If Gil should receive this
                    Buck O'Neil recognition, is he then in the Hall of Fame or is he just
                    the recipient of a nice honor?
                    > http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?
                    ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208

                  • Paul Romano
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 28, 2009
                      I am a huge Gil Hodges fan. Wrote to the Hall of Fame and they did mention the veterans commitee. I live in San Diego and the Mets are my favorite team...I grew up with the Brooklyn Dodgers...do you think we can get Tommy Lasorda to help us....somehow I believe he can make an influence...If we all write to the veterans commitee that may help as well...
                      Paul

                      From: johnvilla50@...
                      Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:57:52 +0000
                      Subject: Re: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL AWARD--HALL
                      DEFINITION

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2009
                        --- In gilhodgeshalloffamesupport@yahoogroups.com, Paul Romano
                        <mickeyjrt@...> wrote:
                        >WE NEED A UNITED EFFORT. TOMMY IS A GOOD CONTACT. I'LL THINK ABOUT
                        THIS SOME MORE & MAY DRAT SOME SAMPLE LETTERS TO TOMMY AND JOE MORGAN-
                        -WILL
                        PUT THEM ON THIS SITE WITH HOPE WE ALL WRITE AND IT HELPS GIL
                        BE WELL
                        > I am a huge Gil Hodges fan. Wrote to the Hall of Fame and they did
                        mention the veterans commitee. I live in San Diego and the Mets are
                        my favorite team...I grew up with the Brooklyn Dodgers...do you think
                        we can get Tommy Lasorda to help us....somehow I believe he can make
                        an influence...If we all write to the veterans commitee that may help
                        as well...
                        > Paul

                        HALL DEFINITION

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2009
                          what about Tom Seaver?  didn't he have great respect for Gil? do you think that he can help us,    as well?

                          Ira

                          >WE NEED A UNITED EFFORT. TOMMY IS A GOOD CONTACT. I'LL THINK ABOUT

                          THIS SOME MORE & MAY DRAT SOME SAMPLE LETTERS TO TOMMY AND JOE MORGAN-

                          -WILL

                          PUT THEM ON THIS SITE WITH HOPE WE ALL WRITE AND IT HELPS GIL

                          BE WELL

                          > I am a huge Gil Hodges fan. Wrote to the Hall of Fame and they did

                          mention the veterans commitee. I live in San Diego and the Mets are

                          my favorite team...I grew up with the Brooklyn Dodgers...do you think

                          we can get Tommy Lasorda to help us....somehow I believe he can make

                          an influence... If we all write to the veterans commitee that may help

                          as well...

                          > Paul

                          > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, JJ Danaher <jjdanaher@. ..> wrote:

                          > From: JJ Danaher <jjdanaher@. ..>

                          > Subject: RE: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL AWARD--

                          HALL DEFINITION

                          > To: gilhodgeshalloffame support@yahoogro ups.com

                          > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 11:06 PM

                          > I had a feeling....I didn't think there was any other way in for

                          him but

                          > through the Vet. Com.---that will be a tough task, but worth the

                          effort. He

                          > certainly becomes an even better candidate in light of the recent

                          headlines

                          > concerning modern day "stars"...

                          > jim

                          > To: gilhodgeshalloffame support@yahoogro ups.com

                          > From: johnvilla50@ ...

                          > Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:57:52 +0000

                          > Subject: Re: [GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME SUPPORT] BUCK O'NEIL AWARD--

                          HALL

                          > DEFINITION

                          > He'd be the recipient of a nice honor. To be "in the Hall of

                          > Fame" one

                          > would have to have his plaque hanging with the others in the "Hall"

                          > (between Snider and Eddie Mathews would be a good spot).

                          > John

                          > --- In gilhodgeshalloffame support@yahoogro ups.com, JJ Danaher

                          > <jjdanaher@> wrote:

                          > > If only!!

                          > > I have a question while we're at it----If Gil should receive this

                          > Buck O'Neil recognition, is he then in the Hall of Fame or is he

                          just

                          > the recipient of a nice honor?

                          > > http://www.windowsl ive-

                          hotmail.com/ learnmore/ versatility. aspx#mobile?

                          > ocid=TXT_TAGHM_ WL_HM_versatilit y_121208

                          > Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.

                          > http://windowslive. com/howitworks?

                          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_t2_hm_ justgotbetter_ howitworks_ 022009

                        • bklynbum14
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 8, 2009

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 9, 2009
                              does anyone know the name of Tom Seaver's winery/vineyard?

                              >FUNNY YOU SHOULDS ASK--HE IS ON HALL BOARD---ALSO I GIVE $55 EACH YEAR TO HALL IN NOVEMBER IN MEMORY OF GIL & I AM LISTED EACH FEBRUARY ALONG WITH DONORS & TILTHIS YEAR I WAS ONLY ONE WHO DID THIS IN MEMORY OF GIL--WELL TO MY SURPRISE TOM SEAVER WAS LISTED WITH ME THIS YEAR--I BELIEVE HE DOES SUPPORT GIL BUT DO NOT KNOW IF HE WOULD TAKE A LEAD ROLE--HE LIVES IN CALIFORNIA BUT I DO NOT KNOW ADDRESS OR IF HALL WILL FOREWARD MAIL TO HIM OR IF HE WOULD HELP--GUESS I (WE) MUST TAKE ACTION SOON SO OUR HERO ENTERS HALL

                              > what about Tom Seaver?  didn't he have great respect for Gil? do you think that he can help us,    as well?

                              > Ira

                            • Joe Perignat
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 11, 2009
                                Ira, according to an article written in December 2008, the address is GTS Vineyards, Box 888, Calistoga, Calif. 94515
                                JoeP.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                                  great- thank you, Joe.

                                  I will try to get a letter out this weekend.

                                  Ira

                                  ____________ _________ _________ __

> [...]

                                  > > He'd be the recipient of a nice honor. To be "in the Hall of

                                  > > Fame" one

                                  > > would have to have his plaque hanging with the others in the "Hall"

                                  > > (between Snider and Eddie Mathews would be a good spot).

                                  > > John

                                  > > --- In gilhodgeshalloffame support@yahoogro ups.com, JJ Danaher

                                  > > <jjdanaher@> wrote:

                                  > > > If only!!

                                  > > > I have a question while we're at it----If Gil should receive this

                                  > > Buck O'Neil recognition, is he then in the Hall of Fame or is he

                                  > just

                                  > > the recipient of a nice honor?

                                  > > > http://www.windowsl ive-

                                  > hotmail.com/ learnmore/ versatility. aspx#mobile?

                                  > > ocid=TXT_TAGHM_ WL_HM_versatilit y_121208

                                  > > Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.

                                  > > http://windowslive. com/howitworks?

                                  > ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_t2_hm_ justgotbetter_ howitworks_ 022009

                                • bklynbum14
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 23 6:57 AM
                                    I DID SEND A LETTER TO MR. SEAVER AT ADDRESS BELOW ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO--NO RESPONSE YET--BUT IT IS STILL EARLY--WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED-----JOE DEE