Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

  • Ralph 1303
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 17, 2011
      Hi Jan,

      I have been thinking about this prayer you posted.

      May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and
      actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that
      freedom for all.

      I feel that this is what I have wanted all my life, though I probably would have used different words. I may have used words such as health, wealth and prosperity but what I really have been hoping for, for all beings, is freedom.

      Freedom from hunger, fear, oppression, sickness and anxiety about the future and freedom to be happy. That is a very tall order but I feel in my heart that it is possible.

      Many may believe that  if that state was actually achieved in the world, then this world would have served its purpose and we can all go home. But in my heart of hearts, it is what I yearn for.

      Best wishes,
      Ralph
    • William Milmoe
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 25, 2011
        Ralph:

        This is my first reply/post to the giftoflovingkndness so forgive me if I do it incorrectly.

        I also believe that we can feed, clothe (or allow people to be naked) and house ( and allow people to be homeless with dignity) all the people of the world if we work towards it.

        I realized a long time ago that starving people are that way because it makes the striving "slaves - us" grateful to be a fed slave. It is motivation for us to shut up and work.

        Now I work to feed others ( sometimes almost daily with food I grow and/or vegan food I purchase), work to educate people about the current system ( that does not allow food to be grown on public lands, like no fruit trees in parks or city parking strips - except for inefficient meat production by turning forests into marginal grazing land) and to educate people about the "fear, competition, 'American dream of 2 cars, 2 houses and 2 children', war and greed" system versus the "trust, cooperation, 'American Dream of a small house, a garden, an orchard, a community which does not require a car, adopted children or share the raising of the village children', peace and sharing" system that we need to manifest.  I do not expect it to manifest soon but I now openly talk up respect for pacifists instead of for veterans, respect for true democracy instead of corporate oligarchy, respect for children instead of adults, respect for vegans, raw vegans and vegetarians instead of for omnivores.

        I have lots to learn but so far taking these steps make me feel closer to being part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

        I am a big fan of the youtube movie "The Green Beautiful" a comedy about the power of sanity and boycotts.  I have watch this up-llfting movie many times. I have also read and recommend the Ringing Cedar Series of books by Vladimir Megre. These books are about an alternate history of the human race and how we lost our way with a blueprint on how to find our way back to the garden.

        Thanks for posting...

        Bill

      • Z Z
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 9, 2011
          Hi All,  why no discussions or postings from the members? z z

        • Ralph 1303
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 9, 2011
            Hi ZZ,

            A friend has just sent me a link to U-tube and this Metta meditation video was on the same page.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ21qs6A4mg&feature=BFa&list=PLE2E682DBC904E9C7&lf=results_main

            I have not looked at it yet because I need peace and quiet for that but I see no need to wait before passing it on.

            Best wishes,
            Ralph

            To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com
            From: connectnet2050@...
            Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530
            Subject: [giftoflovingkindness] Hi

            Hi All,  why no discussions or postings from the members? z z

          • Bobby Hadipraja
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 9, 2011
              ZZ,

              It is not good nor bad that the site is quiet for a while. That's just the dynamic of a relationship like any other ones.
              Lets just keep tuning in and throw ideas anytime we feel like it.

              Here is a point of discussion that I have in mind.

              I have been reading about Korean Zen (Master Seung San Soen Nim) which puts focus on the "Don't Know Mind".
              All the teaching and interactions with the students would lead to this Mind. Perceived from a normal perspective, they all don't make sense, which is exactly the purpose: to puzzle the mind in order to bring us to the Don't Know state. The students are pushed to enter this state and to finally give up the thinking.
              I have been able to implement this partially into my daily activities and have seen the benefit. Just like the commercial slogan: "Just Do It". But the most difficult part is to maintain it from moment to moment.

              On another occassion, I also happen to read the conversation between J. Khrisnamurti and Prof Bohm in the book "The Ending of Time". Here JK talked about the detailed anatomy of Human Thinking Process and the result thereof, which is suffering. By realizing the root cause of all our suffering we can then arrive at the non thniking state, which he termed as Insight. Anything that arises out of insight does not depend on the previous knowledge or experience. It springs from the divine intelligence.

              These 2 approaches actually start from different points, the first one from radical approach by cutting all thinking right from the start and the other one by using the thinking capacity of human mind to reveal its flaw and then finally giving up itself. Just like to use a torn to get rid of itself.

              But ultimately both would lead to the same path: Non Thinking State. I am really happy that I have the full freedom to use which one suits me.

              Which one suits you better?

              Regards,
              Bobby Hadipraja

              From: connectnet2050@...
              Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 10, 2011

                Hi Bobby,

                Good to hear from you.

                I certainly think that I am not cut out for non-thinking.

                However, a couple of days ago, some words came into my mind and when I realised that they rhymed, I wrote them down.

                *Lord in heaven and in my heart,
                of whom my very soul is part;
                be with me, so I can see,
                how it is You relate to me.

                Thank you Lord, you are divine,
                You are this very soul of mine,
                I love you and you love me,
                That is how it
                ll ever be.

                Praise is how our loves combine,
                Joined forever, till the end of time.
                Loving kindness is our way.
                That
                s compassion everyday.*

                 Best wishes,

                Ralph

                To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com

                From: connectnet2050@...
                Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

                Hi All,  why no discussions or postings from the members? z z

              • Dolores Moses
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 10, 2011
                  Dear Bobby,
                  Reading your nov 9th communication just blew me out of the water. NEVER
                  thought of "Don't know mind " as to a technique to implement it. Also the 2nd
                  approach to a non-thinking state. You have made my day-turned around my
                  mind to begin again the path to "Don't Know Mind"   Thank you.

                  From: connectnet2050@...
                  Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 13, 2011
                    Dear Ralph,

                    Basically, I was not that radical type of a person either. Cutting out all thinking would seem like having a blind faith.
                    However, there have been instances in my life recently where I have tried to apply this philosophy in my daily life, just do it, no thinking, as part of my experiment. Strangely as it seems, the outcome is surprisingly smooth. During business meetings, I could talk and expresss ideas that had never even crossed my mind before but yet they turned to be very effective.

                    However, maintining this attitude from moment to moment of my life is really a big challenge..

                    Thank you for the nice poem.
                    I would like to share mine:

                    Dear Lord,

                    Would you please stop playing
                    Hide and Seek with me
                    I have tried my best to seek
                    All corners of my heart and beyond

                    I'm not going to seek you anymore
                    As I have found something else better
                    Being with myself and no more searching

                    Cry and Laughter are both joy to me
                    Sin and Virtue have the power no more

                    How glad I am to be free from everything

                    Regards,
                    Bobby Hadipraja

                    From: connectnet2050@...
                    Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

                    Hi All,  why no discussions or postings from the members? z z

                  • Soldier Of allah
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 13, 2011
                      very nice ..thanx for this

                      From: connectnet2050@...
                      Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 23, 2011

                         Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

                        May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and
                        actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that
                        freedom for all.

                        I think this is something great to hope and pray for and why should it not be?

                        I have had two personal replies about this and I thank you.

                        Best wishes,
                        Ralph

                        > Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:54:10 +0000
                        > Subject: Re: Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
                        >

                        > best thinking about your life .but you is not world, something change in real life. it is my think ,not all,freedom all
                        > --- In giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com, Ralph 1303 <ralph1303@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Jan,
                        > >
                        > > I have been thinking about this prayer you posted.
                        > >
                        > > May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and
                        > > actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that
                        > > freedom for all.
                        > >
                        > > I feel that this is what I have wanted all my life, though I probably would have used different words. I may have used words such as health, wealth and prosperity but what I really have been hoping for, for all beings, is freedom.
                        > >
                        > > Freedom from hunger, fear, oppression, sickness and anxiety about the future and freedom to be happy. That is a very tall order but I feel in my heart that it is possible.
                        > >
                        > > Many may believe that if that state was actually achieved in the world, then this world would have served its purpose and we can all go home. But in my heart of hearts, it is what I yearn for.
                        > >
                        > > Best wishes,
                        > > Ralph

                      • Mary Kay
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011

                          I have been enjoying this prayer in my meditations.  Thank you for continuing to keep this thread alive Ralph.  It is comforting to see it again.
                          Best,
                          Mary

                        • Ralph 1303
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                            Hi Mary,

                            Thanks for posting.

                            I am coming to believe that there is nothing to prevent this coming about except our belief that it won t.

                            Best wishes,
                            Ralph

                            To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com
                            From: marykayknits@...
                            Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:53:04 -0600
                            Subject: [giftoflovingkindness] Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

                            I have been enjoying this prayer in my meditations.  Thank you for continuing to keep this thread alive Ralph.  It is comforting to see it again.
                            Best,
                            Mary

                          • Carolee Smith
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 25, 2011

                                This is very nice.  I enjoy the prayer. Carolee

                               Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

                              May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and
                              actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that
                              freedom for all.

                              I think this is something great to hope and pray for and why should it not be?

                              I have had two personal replies about this and I thank you.

                              Best wishes,
                              Ralph

                              > Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:54:10 +0000
                              > Subject: Re: Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
                              >

                              > best thinking about your life .but you is not world, something change in real life. it is my think ,not all,freedom all
                              > --- In giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com, Ralph 1303 <ralph1303@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Jan,
                              > >
                              > > I have been thinking about this prayer you posted.
                              > >
                              > > May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and
                              > > actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that
                              > > freedom for all.
                              >
                              > > I feel that this is what I have wanted all my life, though I probably would have used different words. I may have used words such as health, wealth and prosperity but what I really have been hoping for, for all beings, is freedom.

                              Freedom from hunger, fear, oppression, sickness and anxiety about the future and freedom to be happy. That is a very tall order but I feel in my heart that it is possible.

                              > > Many may believe that if that state was actually achieved in the world, then this world would have served its purpose and we can all go home. But in my heart of hearts, it is what I yearn for.
                              > >
                              > > Best wishes,
                              > > Ralph

                            • Ralph 1303
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 26, 2011
                                Hi Carolee,

                                I have just started to read, *A New Earth* by Eckhart Tolle. He seems to believe, as I do, that the world is at a crisis point. Either, collectively we start paying attention to our spiritual lives and start caring for one another and about one another or we carry on as we are and virtually wipe ourselves out. I expect that there will enough survivors to start over but if we want any sort of life that we would wish, we need to start acting differently.

                                I am wondering if anyone else has read any of Eckhart Tolle s books.

                                Best wishes,

                                Ralph

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 26, 2011
                                  Hi Ralph.
                                  Yes I have read Tolle's New Earth, and the Power of Now, I am re-reading that one as soon as I have finished Autobiography of a Yogi.
                                  If you haven't read The Power of Now, how do you relate to the New Earth?. You know he is speaking of a new consciousness, how do you relate to that?.
                                  Have a nice day.
                                  Jacqui.
                                • Ralph 1303
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 27, 2011
                                    Hi Jacqui,

                                    I knew from quotes I have seen that I may not get on well with Eckhart Tolle. This is partly because when you read quotes out of context, they do not always come across as the way they are intended.

                                    I saw A New Earth in the library, so I thought I would check out his style of writing before I splashed out on The Power of Now.

                                    My wife suggested I read Chapter 5 - The Pain Body. I did not have any difficulty in following this. It really helped me understand how different the world appears to some others from how it does to me.

                                    I was standing in a supermarket queue yesterday and I noticed the thoughts that went through my mind about how long I was waiting and whether the person in front should really be in the 10 items or less queue etc. etc. and then remembered I would get to the front of the queue at exactly the right time for me to get to the front of the queue.

                                    Then it dawned on me, how differently I may think if I had a childhood in which unpleasantness and disappointments were the norm.

                                    Best wishes,
                                    Ralph

                                    To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 27, 2011
                                      Hi Jacqui,

                                      My last post may not have really answered your question. As soon as I get a chance, I shall read The Power of Now. I may get greater benefit from The New Earth then.

                                      I suspect that Tolle explains better than I can what he means by a new consciousness.

                                      Best wishes,
                                      Ralph

                                      To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 27, 2011
                                        Hi Ralph,
                                        All this thinking you are doing is your ego at work.
                                        Be still and listen.
                                        Jacqui.
                                      • Jacqui Daane
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 27, 2011
                                          Hi Ralph,
                                          What Tolle means by with 'new consciousness is waking up and untying the ties that bind you now.
                                          In other words shake off the ego and become who you truly are.
                                          It is not something you read, do and become. It is a process, Tolle woke up suddenly, others take their time, but since there is no rush and no where to go it doesn't matter.
                                          Have a nice day.
                                          Jacqui.
                                        • Ralph
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 19, 2011
                                            Hi Jacqui,

                                            I have just written to you privately and then I saw from one of your posts that you had already realised what I was trying to tell you.

                                            I think you are right, my ego keeps making me think I must comment about things, whether there is any need or not.

                                            Best wishes,
                                            Ralph

                                            --- In giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com, "Jacqui Daane" <jayvare@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Ralph,
                                            > All this thinking you are doing is your ego at work.
                                            > Be still and listen.
                                            > Jacqui.

                                          • clayoquot2000
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 24, 2011
                                              when you're with yourself, you are with god.....no wonder you feel free.....peace, mary

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 1, 2012
                                                Hi Bill,

                                                Thanks for this post. I know that you sent it over two months ago and there has been a delay in the system, so I hope you are still with us.

                                                There was nothing incorrect in the way you posted. the delay was at our end.

                                                *I realized a long time ago that starving people are that way because it makes the striving "slaves - us" grateful to be a fed slave. It is motivation for us to shut up and work.*

                                                That is my suspicion also, though for some time I have been wondering if there is a more spiritual reason. My own views have changed somewhat even in the 2 months since you wrote this, so I will not go round and round in circles talking about it.

                                                *I have lots to learn but so far taking these steps make me feel closer to being part of the solution instead of part of the problem.*

                                                Seems a good place to start.

                                                I will look out for that video on u-tube as soon as I can.

                                                Best wishes,
                                                Ralph

                                                To: giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 2, 2012
                                                  Hi bill,
                                                  I am so glad you enjoyed the Ringing cedars books. What a world that would be to live in.
                                                  All the best to you.
                                                  Jacqui.
                                                • Good Girl
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 31, 2012
                                                    Aslaimualikum

                                                    From: connectnet2050@...
                                                    Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:52:31 +0530

                                                    Hi All,  why no discussions or postings from the members? z z