Who is this group's leader? (was "Re: non-denominational & inter-faith")

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi Keith,

      I agree with Jacqui.

      There is no group leader. There is a moderator anyone can appeal to if they find messages offensive and I will post the email address as soon as I have found it. That may take a few minutes.

      I do not think that any of the regular contributors to this group will be offended by any truly-heart felt comments.

      You can also write to individuals privately by clicking on the *envelope* logo at the right hand side of messages on the web page or by clicking on *Reply to sender* if reading messages by email.

      I am writing this hurriedly so I hope I do not come across as curt. Our aim is to be friendly, helpful, considerate and courteous and open to theviewpoint of others.

      Best wishes,
      Ralph
    • BONNIE HUBER
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi Keith, I agree with Jacqui, I feel as if something is up-setting you, about the group? We are a supportive group here and do care for one another. I know because I have been the recipient of that care and compassion many times. If you would like to share what is going on we would like to hear.
        In LovingKindness
        Bonnie

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2011
          Keith,
          feel free to contact me at: giftoflovingkindness@...
          Sorry for the delayed response. Happy 2011.

          --- In giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com, "justanother1some" <crummyverses@...> wrote:

          > I really need some direction here. Could the leader please contact me?
          > Thank you.
          > Keith in St Louis
          >
          > --- In giftoflovingkindness@yahoogroups.com, Ralph 1303 <ralph1303@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Keith,
          > >
          > > I hope you had as good a Christmas as you would have hoped for. I know that you have difficult circumstances.
          > >
          > > To answer the last part of your question first, to the best of my understanding, this group was founded by SS or someone working on her behalf. The section you read would have been written with SS’s sanction, I should imagine.
          > >
          > > This group is intended for people with open minds and open hearts who are not necessarily specifically Buddhist or specifically Christian or specifically anything else.
          > >
          > > I would say, from my knowledge of the group, it is about a Buddhist based technique that can be used by people of any love based faith.
          > >
          > > Sadhana has answered the first part of your question better than I could.
          > >
          > > I find that labels are not always helpful as they do not always mean the same to everyone. Foe instance, yesterday, being Christmas Day, I was trying to decide if I consider myself to be a Christian. I decided that there is no answer to that because that term does not mean the same to everyone.
          > >
          > > Best wishes,
          > > Ralph in Southern England where my son has just told me we have the coldest weather he has ever experienced. I shall take his word for it and stay indoors.

        • justanother1some
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
            (Sorry so late to respond. Between work and the holidays and being offline and other obligations...zzz)

            Thanks for the invitation to express my "issues."

            Well, I don't "get it" that we have "non-denominational" in the home-page's paragraph. Most definitions have it imply Christianity which is a turn-off for some. It also digresses from the mission of the group: lovingkindness, irregardless of faith, non-faith, race, gender, etc.

            My 2nd issue is with the responses I received regarding my confrontation with a minister. I received absolutely no compassion, instead I got advice, i.e. mind-your-own-business, essentially. Soooo....

            Maybe this group isn't a good fit for me? I believe Sharon Salzberg's words but with these struggles going on, maybe I'm not ready yet.

            All the best.

            Keith in St Louis
            maybe this isn't a good fit for me?

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
              Hi Keith,

              I have had a look back through the posts in the hope of finding your original message about the church where you had a confrontation with the minister.

              In the process, I found this message from Carolee.

              I think it is full of compassion. You may remember that it turned out that Carolee had a very difficult time at Christmas herself.

              I also saw that you have had a lot to deal with and put up with your self. That must have been very difficult for you. I know it can be time consuming which is a problem if you are using a public computer but if you can look back through some of the previous posts, I am sure you will find that there is someone here who can relate to the problems you face.

              If you would like to write to me directly and explain again what happened with that church misister, I will give you as honest a response as I know how. Maybe she just was not a very Christian Christian, if you see what I mean.

              As for the stuff on the Home Page, that is outside the control of the group members. I hope that does not sound like M.Y.O.B. but I can not say much more until I come out of this message and check what the moderator wrote a few messages back.

              Best wishes,
              Ralph

              Eralier message from Carolee Smith:-
              Re: [giftoflovingkindness] Re: Dogma and religion

              What a horrible thing to remember Keith. My heart goes out to you. You probably loved your grandmother very much. You probably think of her with it being Christmas.

              If it is any consolation, Missouri is a beautiful place. I used to live in Portland, Oregon where it rained all winter long. I know that when the sun doesn't shine, it gets to me. Yesterday in Omaha, we had beautiful weather and today we have freezing snow and wind. It is so hard to get used to the change.

              I understand how bad weather affects your mood. I think the holidays have a tendancy to affect your mood also. I know we always want to buy more than we can afford on the holidays and we miss our childhood get-togethers that we used to have. I know my relatives are spread out across the country and I really miss the get-togethers at Christmas time that my family used to have.

              Christmas is not the same without those. I am feeling a little down as well. I get that way too.

              What do you do besides meditate? Do you have a hobby? I took up watercolors fifteen years ago and paint summer scenes in the winter. I always wanted to have a Jimmy Buffett party in the middle of winter inside with grilled hamburgers and hula hoops and the tiki bar and the whole bit. Anything to keep my mind off the miserable weather outside.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                Keith, you may have missed this message posted a few days ago by the moderator.