Re: DNA numbers/markers -JOHN-

  • mark gibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
      Hi John,
      FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) ,,, the testing company that was/is the largest DNA testing company out there,, at least it was at one point, I know they were the first company, and the oldest,  to offer/do the DNA for genealogy.
      -
      How ever many markers you have/tested for,, be it 12, 24, 37, 67, etc.,,, each genetic marker will be numbered and have a corresponding number for your results,,,,
      Now, FTDNA and Ancestry use the same markers in their tests, but they have a different number setup,,,, and if you feel like there may be a match within another DNA testing facility (like FTDNA) you can check by using the conversion chart,,,,which basically gives you the sequence number differences between the companies, again, tey are the same tests, the same markers, just different number systems for the results,,,
      -
      For instance: (this is just an example) Ancestry marker 25,,,lets say that you returned a number 12 on genetic marker #25....
      FTDNA has marker 25, and may say to add 10 to this number and that would be what your returned number would be with that company (your return number would be a 22, on marker 25, with FTDNA) and you can look at the free DNA test returns of other people within FTDNA that has your Surname of interest (You can go to the surname page @ FTDNA and it will have all numbers/markers listed),,,,,,, and you can cross reference those numbers by using the conversion chart (it has been awhile since I have seen the chart,, but it is simple, if i remember correctly, it is something in the way of "just add 10 or subtract 5" to each number, and that will give you your "correct" number (what would have been given to you, by the other companies, like FTDNA -for instance-),  you just have to manually go in and do the match with each marker return number.
      -
      I'm sure they do this (make the return marker ID numbers different from one another) to keep people at "their" website/company,,,, but knowing how to read the numbers and find matches, is what we as researchers want to do,,, so the conversion chart (It is more of a statement, will give you the correct way to come up with the correct numbers) will allow you to do that, without paying the full fees and testing with the "other' companies.
      -
      It would be nice if the all crossed their databases into one large one,,, but that doesn't seem to be favorable, on the business end of things.
      -
      Mark

      All I got for the AncestryDNA was a map and pie chart of Genetic Ethnicity and a long list of "possible matches" of people in Ancestry.com. Having gone through many pages of possible distant relatives most with less than 50% probability of matches, there are none. So....I have no idea what FTDNA markers are. Are you saying that I should ask for more information?

      Thanks for your help, John Gibson