Re: [gibson_dna] Thomas Gibson, emigrant to Jamestown, 1608

  • Robert Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
      Try Lancashire Co. England.
      A number of Gibson's went to England from Scotland
      in the 16th Century.

      Bob Gibson.

      On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Kelly G <kelly_graham77373@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello, all :)
      >
      > In tracing my maternal-line (DAWSON), I have, finally?, traced the
      > GIBSON-line (Elizabeth GIBSON married Joseph DAWSON (b. about 1745)
      > to Thomas GIBSON, of the 2nd Supply to Jamestown, commanded by Captain
      > Christopher Newport. However! All I have even read about Thomas GIBSON has
      > been that he was a "tradesman" who was from "England".
      >
      > Have any GIBSON-lines, reportedly fron Thomas, ever run any DNA-test?
      > I know that DNA can't prove a particular ancestor, but it should -
      > theoretically - narrow the part of England in which to hunt for the elusive
      > GIBSON. :)
      >
      > Thank ypou for your time ands any help offered!
      >
      > Kelly Paul Graham
      > Houston, Texas

    • Kelly G
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2012
        Joanna-

        I found or received (I can't remember which at this late date) an e-mail from an "Ida Hawkins" stating the the sisters Mary and Elizabeth GIBSON, of Edgefield Co., S.C. and who married the brothers William and Joseph DAWSON, were the daughters of John GIBSON, who dies in 1749 in Edgefield County. This, besides a notice hinting at the marriage of Joseph DAWSON (my maternal grt-grt-grt-grt-grandfather) to Elizabeth
        GIBSON of "Hardbottom Creek" are the only links I have to the Gibsons.

        Since then, I have ben trying to untangle the web of Gibson-relations in the Caolinas and Virginia. I now seem to have a path, Elizabeth > John > Gedion > Gilbert > Gibson GIBSON.

        "Seem to have."

        Since then, when solid child-parent links have failed me (because of, among other things, too many Thomases), I have resorted to land-records for dealing with the family and its possible-migration: backwards, from the York River, to Chippoakes Creek, to either Jamestown od Weromocomoco (where a Thnas Gibson was one of the persons sent by John Smith to help build "a house" for Powhatan.

        Since this "Thomas Gibson" was already considered a "tradesman" (rather than listed as an "apprentice"), I am wondering at his age when he came to Jamestown in 1608. And, also, if the next time with see a Gibson on any Jamestown roll (1624), if this might be Thomas' chld?

        And? Yes, after tracing the Gibsons (and seeing them listed as "Mulatto" - in 17th-century Virginia legal-usage, the child of a white pesron and an Indian - I think it more-probble that the natives the GIBSONS mignled with were of the Powhatan-"Empire", probably Pamunkey.

        Thank you for your comments, Joanne :)

        Kelly Paul Graham
        Houston, Texas