Nelson Gibson

  • celticmoondog
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
      My 67 marker results comfirmed Nelson Gibson proposed brother of Thomas Gibson who are both proposed to be the sons of Ziba Gibson is not the brother of Thomas Gibson after all. Thomas Gibson's 1804 will gave hint of this when he mentioned Nelson Gibson (Sr) as his "trusted friend". It turns out that Nelson Gibson is related to the Pamunkey Davenports(99.1 % within 24 generations) of Pamunkey Neck Va. He is also showing relationship to the Hodnetts who appear the older family making the Pamunkey Davenports related to them. Some of the Hodnetts that removed to Ireland changed their names to McSherry to hide from Cromwell's army which supports the family tradition of a name change to Mac??? something. Hodnetts are a Norman family. Their name means "hooded knight". In the 1600s there was record of a John Davenport known as John the Bankrupt that lived near Gilbert Gibson. Need any male descendants of Nelson Gibson to test their dna to verify my results.
      Thanks,
      Ernest Johnson/EL Gibson
    • Valentine Van Zee
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
        Thank you so much for the clarification!!! I received your email on this, but had not put it together that the idea of Thomas and Nelson being brothers had been abandoned by you. I need to go into the Patriarch page and make some changes. I will do that as soon as possible, but it probably won't be today.

        Val

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2009
          Ernest,

          Do you have any further information about that record 1600s Virginia record? Perhaps a more precise year and in what county did they were then living?

          Thanks, Val

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11, 2009
            Val,
            The information concerning John the Bankrupt (Davenport) and Gilbert Gibson I received from a Mr. Davenport who is involved with the Pamunkey Davenport project. I believe the information comes from a book about the Pamunkey Davenports. I have not bought the book yet. I did do some online research on Gibsons in the Pamunkey Neck area and came with some interesting finds. One that stood out was information on a Thomas and Mary Gibson. Mary was the name of Thomas and supposedly Nelson Gibson's mother. Thomas and Mary sold land in Va in 1749. Later they relocated to NC, I believe around the New River area. I'm not sure yet where they moved next. I also found information that a Thomas Gibson was paid for taking in children from the "bastard list". All interesting but requiring further research. I welcome any input from individuals researching either Thomas or Nelson Gibson and encourage any male Gibsons from either line to get involved with the Gibson project and dna testing.

          • JoannePezzullo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
              In a message dated 9/11/2009 1:38:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              cujo@... writes:

              Thomas and supposedly Nelson Gibson's mother. Thomas and Mary sold land in
              Va in 1749. Later they relocated to NC, I believe around the New River
              area. I'm not sure yet where they moved next. I also found information that a
              Thomas Gibson was paid for taking in children from the "bastard list". All
              interesting but requiring further research

              --------------

              Problem is there are too many Thomas and Mary Gibsons.

              Thomas and Mary left Louisa County and went to Orange County, North
              Carolina. Speculation is he is the same Thomas Gibson with wife Mary who left a
              will in Henry Co., Virginia in 1780and named a daughter Cussiah/Kizziah
              Gibson. "My best guess" is the widow, Mary Gibson, with some of her children
              came to the area that is now Scott County, Virginia. Thomas, Mary, Henry
              and Francis/Fanny Gibson were early members of Stony Creek Church. Later
              Eastern Cherokee applications show Bryson Gibson born abt 1782 was son of
              Thomas and Mary or of Thomas and Francis. Bryson and Henry Gibson both sons of
              Thomas, died in Morgan County, Kentucky.

              Kezziah, daughter of Thomas and Mary of above is likely the same Kezziah
              that married to Nevill Wayland, clerk of the Stony Creek Church. Kezziah
              Wayland's land is adj to John and James Gibson in Russell/Scott County. I
              believe this land is on Copper Creek. Kezziah Wayland and family removed to
              Strawberry Twp., Lawrence Co., Ark., possibly with Gibsons and Goins
              families.

              Joanne

              "I have been too long barked at to be mindful of the noise."